Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

Fingers crossed! I might walk to Hastings way if we get a good covering  

Its about our time Lightning Lover !!!

• Like 2

Posted

Been brilliant today in my greenhouse. Over 70°c in the sun. Been trying to sort out all my stock plants so hopefully they will survive, without costing me a fortune in heating. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Its going to be Interesting to see where this spell sits in my top Easterly Periods and see if it can get into the top 5

1. 1987

2. 2010

3. 1991

4. 1979

5. 2018

Like I said just before you posted, 1987 had all the ingredients for a memorable spell, but just didn't deliver enough snow in my area.  Actually it was probably ok, but knowing others had dreamy amounts of it was what made it ultimately disappointing!  I imagine you fared well out of that in the east of the region as those down in the south did. That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes I guess. I remember you largely missing out from the great Thames Streamer of 2009 and the thread you had going then.

1991 stands out for me in terms of the amounts of snow and the beauty of it....lovely pure stuff without a hint of slush.   For 2010 the awesome sight of trees frosted over as if deliberately decorated for Christmas is a sight I'll always remember.  I'm guessing that the wind that we will get accompanying this spell will bring us more chance of showers but scupper the chances of getting those kinds of frosts?

• Like 1

Posted

I saw the met office forecast from 4 hours ago was posted but didn’t see this latest one so just popping it here. (Apologies if you’ve already seen it) This forecast has more in the Amber.

Its not often a forecast talks about ‘significant’ snow and ‘all day heavy snow’ and parts of the SE getting ‘cut off’.

Sunday for those in the Amber will likely be an all day heavy snow event, even in the yellow it’s going to be good. And if I’m not mistaken on the 30th anniversary of the legendary 1991 snows. 

• Like 5

Posted
23 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

The only significant snowfall I remember in my lifetime was around March/April ish in either 2007/8 where we got a streamer, and in December 2009/January 2010. 

We got a few flurries in 2018 with the beast from the east but the snow amounts was nothing noteworthy in my books.

Hopefully, we’ll get a stonking  streamer that sets itself up to bury the south coast in snow. This would go some way for Mother Nature to repair the mental damage she did on me last year, with a measley one or two claps of thunder throughout the entirety of 2020. 
??

Remember these events on the south coast?

April 2008, February 2009, December 2009, January 2010, but the best being December 2010, over 35cm here in Brighton!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, snowking said:

12z Euro4 completes the set among high resolution modelling to back things further S & E - still looks good around the mouth of the Estuary

image.thumb.png.f1b462ad1986e36e1bae25667ab118e3.png

How's it looking earlier in the run for the early hours of Sunday and Sunday morning?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Like I said just before you posted, 1987 had all the ingredients for a memorable spell, but just didn't deliver enough snow in my area.  Actually it was probably ok, but knowing others had dreamy amounts of it was what made it ultimately disappointing!  I imagine you fared well out of that in the east of the region as those down in the south did. That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes I guess. I remember you largely missing out from the great Thames Streamer of 2009 and the thread you had going then.

1991 stands out for me in terms of the amounts of snow and the beauty of it....lovely pure stuff without a hint of slush.   For 2010 the awesome sight of trees frosted over as if deliberately decorated for Christmas is a sight I'll always remember.  I'm guessing that the wind that we will get accompanying this spell will bring us more chance of showers but scupper the chances of getting those kinds of frosts?

Yh 1987 had 30 foot drifts due to the wind and its why it beats Dec 2010 but yes all these are all regional as 2009 comes in 7th in my list whereas it would probably come into the Top 3 for most others

Posted
16 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I'll be doing one too...wanted to do one in 2019 but my pops passed away after caring for him and had to clear out his house.

I take it the chases are off the agenda for this year Paul?

Yh its not looking good really and down to how travel corridoors open up around the world but that is very low on most governments hit list at the moment and rightly so.

If its safe to do so I would be there in a heartbeat though as it really is my 2nd home from home out there

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
4 minutes ago, danm said:

How's it looking earlier in the run for the early hours of Sunday and Sunday morning?

Not much precipitation , 4am looks like transition time on this run .

070E8D59-6756-471B-9071-A8EF82C0F220.png

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Current view out my side window lovely crystal clear sky before the Beast approaches for us East& SE of London

I'd love to see if there will be any studies associated with the lower levels of pollution this last 10/11months, I've seen a lot of references to "1980s winters" well I heard someone post that were at early 1980s levels for aviation atm with all the lockdowns

20210205_175333.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yh 1987 had 30 foot drifts due to the wind and its why it beats Dec 2010 but yes all these are all regional as 2009 comes in 7th in my list whereas it would probably come into the Top 3 for most others

30ft snow drifts where?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
10 minutes ago, snowking said:

12z Euro4 completes the set among high resolution modelling to back things further S & E - still looks good around the mouth of the Estuary

image.thumb.png.f1b462ad1986e36e1bae25667ab118e3.png

Hi snowking 

what was the charts like previous to this one, early morning Sunday ? Thanks 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
10 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Euro 4

92DA2AD3-FFF9-43A9-A1CC-1AB9FD0A742E.png

Oh to be living in Germany now. No worries about being on the edge of the snow band there....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
3 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Current view out my side window lovely crystal clear sky before the Beast approaches for us East& SE of London

I'd love to see if there will be any studies associated with the lower levels of pollution this last 10/11months, I've seen a lot of references to "1980s winters" well I heard someone post that were at early 1980s levels for aviation atm with all the lockdowns

20210205_175333.jpg

It's hissing down in NW london at the moment

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

30ft snow drifts where?

SE Essex out near Foulness - The East wind was so strong they had to plough through to villages cut off for 5 days and made a dome over the roads - Have some pictures somewhere 

48cm of level snow in some spots

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Neilsouth said:

Does anyone remember that year when they gave a "RED WARNING" danger to life in parts of Kent? Yet it didn't snow at all! 

Yes I do remember that, it decided to go south into the channel and France. Problem is about two weeks later ISH, it happened again, and that time the bad weather did hit, and people got stuck. Moral is, never ignore a red warning, always use the radar before setting off. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Euro 4

92DA2AD3-FFF9-43A9-A1CC-1AB9FD0A742E.png

Thames estuary moisture tongue really obvious on that map above.

Does look like those further west will need to rely on local training convection or streamer related convection tongive the goods as the 12z suite has really gone down the pan in the west of the region for saturday night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
39 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

And when its safe to do so would love to take you out there on that Unique of all roadtrips with some Giant Hail and Spinning Water Vapour thrown in.

Theres also a chance on down days we go into the Rockies and do Snow Angels even in June - See storms and Snow ALWAYS!

And get stuck in snow drifts  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM rolling out now. Monday looks the most promising in terms of shower potential.

image.thumb.png.a66e3e58190afa3dac24d4beb2f3336d.png   image.thumb.png.89fb420112260d26f049e0ad3f9d202f.png

A definite bend towards a more ENE flow through the region and a finger and very cold air moving through the region. Thames estuary and areas south west of the Wash look very good potentially. However showers should be widespread so hopefully most should see some snow falling, which will settle in sheltered spots out of the wind.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Thames estuary moisture tongue really obvious on that map above.

Does look like those further west will need to rely on local training convection or streamer related convection tongive the goods as the 12z suite has really gone down the pan in the west of the region for saturday night.

A little back building on the northern side of the precip band could make a difference 

• Like 1