Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
9 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

Looks like the GFS for same time now. 

image.thumb.png.1cad3c491ad045f281449a088a0bf700.pngimage.thumb.png.7d8a924d70378079415313474e14d475.png 

Find it so funny we're talking about charts just 100 hours away and still absolutely terrified it's all going to go wrong 

Us UK coldies have some serious mental health scars from being led up the garden path so many times.

Good evening, coldies such as myself know deep down that cold spells are always against the odds and tide. (but not impossible).

Put it this way:

Mild chart with SW'ly winds in 6 days will verify because models are going with the tide. Maybe a little left or right but nothing will reverse that in that timeframe.

Cold chart with E'lys in 6 days time - unlikely to verify because the models are trying to predict something against the tide. Many forces are trying to reverse the outcome, and of course 9 times out of 10 suceed resulting in those ghost cold spells. "Now you see it now you don't"

Of course its worth mentioning that every 5 years or so that those forces are getting more of the upper hand.

However I'd be lying if I said I'm not looking at the models, after all, I'm here posting in this thread!

• Like 1

Posted

Think models have been underplaying the cold if anything,could be bedlam in here tomorrow and onwards.

Some of the coldest ever spells have been in February for various reasons.Sledges just been added to the basket,waiting for the green light.................

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Anyone seen latest fax for 120 hours!?!!!

No and neither have you

Edited by Johnp
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS looking fine out to 84hrs, more or less the same as the 12z run.

I think we are getting close to the point where at least for the north we are getting close to nailed on now. Still some worries I've got further south, particularly in the SE with the risk of a LP developing to our south and swinging NE/NNE towards the SE before the cold air has the chance to really set in down here. Luckily that could also bring the risk of snow as well into the region but the path is a fine line to tread.

However lets make sure we get the easterly flow in in the first place first.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 18z T90 v 12z T96

DC57C4B1-B362-41DC-B3AE-9035969E097F.thumb.png.d7214f3e4a3e35c4614223489fbbe3c3.pngE71FBDBD-AE44-49CE-A813-E1F04E187CDC.thumb.png.b497aa3d96cce5430388048ef2a1e3aa.png

It isn’t the pesky lows that bothers me here, it is the link to the Arctic high, should we be getting cut off from this so early.  Still, the long draw is there, but one to watch nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

T102 easterly into the north. Can’t believe I’m doing this at T100  

C7B25884-10E1-422B-988F-BDFDEB9BDABE.png

0796C0F5-E378-4ED9-951B-9BB8C8326823.png

• Like 3

Posted

Global 2m temp anomaly interesting at day 7. Serious cold running out of Alaska and Canada and in to North America. North America and Europe trend setting in for thr month ahead.

Finally a proper February for cold for a change.

ANOM2m_f144_equir.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

GFS looking fine out to 84hrs, more or less the same as the 12z run.

I think we are getting close to the point where at least for the north we are getting close to nailed on now. Still some worries I've got further south, particularly in the SE with the risk of a LP developing to our south and swinging NE/NNE towards the SE before the cold air has the chance to really set in down here. Luckily that could also bring the risk of snow as well into the region but the path is a fine line to tread.

However lets make sure we get the easterly flow in in the first place first.

Yep I agree with that. Slightly more flabby set up to T+102, but not much in it

• Like 2

Posted

My untrained eye has the milder air slightly further north which may make a difference for the extreme SE. 
image.thumb.png.405f9bba637df762d1929fffedb996dc.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Not as clean as previous run, but certainly acceptable. Note lower heights are just a bit further away to the east.

• Like 2

Posted

Good run for a large chunk of the country.

Cold air struggling to reach the SE for reasons already mentioned though the cold air being relatively close that may well help in any marginal set-up that maybe setting up.

Could be a tricky set-up for the SE coming up that could just as easily bring 30mm of rain or 30cms of snow! Most runs go cold enough but the GFS ensembles have consistently shown a risk of the milder air just nudging too far north.

PS - its light years better than the 06z, its just a slight variation of the theme.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Model related, could someone explain why all models look like turning cold with winds from the East from the weekend onwards yet long range forecast just now at 2155 said "Hints of milder weather next week"

Thanks

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, GSP said:

My untrained eye has the milder air slightly further north which may make a difference for the extreme SE. 
image.thumb.png.405f9bba637df762d1929fffedb996dc.png

Yes it is the boundary is a few hundred miles further north (especially in Europe) but still looks just ok