Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
1 hour ago, Pennine Ten Foot Drifts said:

So, not wanting to be Mr Grumpy, but having been on here model watching for 16 (!) years:

FI = anything beyond T180, and what Operational models are showing is the slight favourite amongst a wide range of possible outcomes. no point viewing these for any local detail, or really even with any great confidence.

T144 - T180 = most likely broad synoptic pattern i.e. likely to be warmer / colder / wetter / drier than average, but in terms of local detail, barely more reliable than FI.

T72 - T144 = broad synoptic pattern likely to be accurate (but not 'nailed on'!). Detail starting to be defined, but for a small area such as the UK, in a predominantly maritime influenced region, confidence in accuracy of detail is still not high. And it mustn't be forgotten that what are actually relatively minor changes to the broader pattern can still have significant changes for UK localities, so even at this range, for 'my location' confidence in just how much warmer / colder / wetter / drier than average is not going to be very high at all.

T36 - T72 = confidence in broad synoptic pattern is high, confidence in local forecast is moderate to high dependent on the volatility of the forecast pattern i.e. a forecast large high pressure can give pretty high confidence of at least dry weather locally (although, for example, cloud amounts even at this range cannot be forecast with absolute certainty), whereas what we're looking at now i.e. highly volatile synoptics, means even at this range confidence of local weather conditions is no better than moderate (and in this case probably lower than that).

T12 - T36 = broad synoptic pattern highly likely to have been resolved, fairly high confidence in local detail, but again, as for T36 - 72, dependent on the type of synoptics being forecast, changes can happen.

T0 - T12 = radar watching!

So, for the upcoming 10 days, trying to predict where snow may fall next weekend is at this juncture pretty futile, (and even now, it's quite possible the synoptics will change such that nowhere outside the usual northern upland suspects see any at all). I'd say, assuming the currently modelled synoptics play out broadly as forecast, the soonest we'll be able to confidently start anticipating widespread lowland snow will be Wednesday.

Great post  and I couldn’t agree more. My feet are firmly on the ground, I’ll only start to get excited at the prospect of an Easterly if it is still showing at T12- T36, even then I’ll still be twitching. Seen too many near misses over the years, which have led to much disappointment 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

To continue my obsession with the balance of probability, would love to know what the mogreps,decider,M.O outlook and our  other friends on the free to view models were calling for a that time?

Molegrips and nodecider failed epically in winter 2018,2019 especially February 2019.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The members gfs - ensembles...are cracking tbh.

..and are certainly beginning a reaembilistic look of those of 2018!!!!...onto the 12z....✌✊✊

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Can we change the name of the thread - since we opened this on Friday things have got progressively less beast like !

Whimper Watch?

• Like 9

Posted
21 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

On a brighter note I doubt we will have to wait until 6.30 pm to know whether its hoorah Henry or downbeat Doris 

UKMO will be out for 4pm.

That will reveal all.

I agree..the ukmo raw on a BIG stage this afternoon...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
9 minutes ago, Chasbrown said:

How about The Beast Is Dead?! 

The Beast 2.0 - It never happens (again!)

Posted
23 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Can we change the name of the thread - since we opened this on Friday things have got progressively less beast like !

What do we define as the beast?

At least -10 uppers and a feed from the east with low heights over UK? Granted it's only the GFS and maybe gem showing this ATM

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
25 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Bet the mods are glad you asked

t96 for comparison as the 12z’s come out.

8AE08090-CF98-4F3E-B243-5E8C96966E6B.gif

5D6F560A-C97A-4EBB-8CC8-AD13521948DB.png

7B0A0C8F-CEBD-400F-BEBF-CEB297C1174A.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
40 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

Usually it just ends up with one thread completely dead and the other extremely active. It has been semi-tried with one thready being model discussion and another being a cold chase.

Who would dictate where FI starts? Too many logistics to work out, FI is still model discussion and the regionals are for weather closer to the current day. Current thread is fine you dont have to read every post you can just skip them.

Fair points. Just seems to me they're as useful as a chocolate fireguard but as you say, they're valid charts nonetheless 

I suppose at the moment FI starts in 5 days time! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

If the evidence increases over the next few days for the models to put the beast to sleep, I guess we could make a few tweaks to the thread title

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Op in the smallest cluster But yet we go crazy over it...

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

BLUE ARMY 

here in the north east of England i am looking forward to the beast from the east which is just about there with the GFS

• Like 8

Posted
29 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

If the evidence increases over the next few days for the models to put the beast to sleep, I guess we could make a few tweaks to the thread title

Not gonna happen pal...there will be an-easterly flow by late next week...the scrutiny should only be how established.=prologned she becomes!!!...see ya @the 12z suites.✌

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 7

Posted

Don't know why everybody is so downbeat this afternoon, The Beast is still there on several models and ensembles ...

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose des cartes de prévisions du modèle americain GFS

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Doctor96 said:

BLUE ARMY 

here in the north east of England i am looking forward to the beast from the east which is just about there with the GFS

It’s cold on Gfs ( poss deep cold for a time ) but it isn’t a beast doc 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express
46 minutes ago, birdman said:

Fair points. Just seems to me they're as useful as a chocolate fireguard but as you say, they're valid charts nonetheless 

I suppose at the moment FI starts in 5 days time! 

Much less I reckon, @birdman, probably more like 3 although the broad journey toward cold snap rather than cold spell (as it stands) remains likely. The earlier post by @Pennine Ten Foot Drifts nailed it perfectly actually. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

If I hadn't looked at the output for a few days, I'd be forgiven for thinking the outlook had suddenly switched from an easterly to a b******t unanimously across all the models. I would think at that point, "yeah, fair enough, that's pretty disappointing!"

Most of us are chasing nirvana, and yeah it doesn't look as fantastic as it did a few days ago, but the outlook looks far from 'home'.