Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 24/01/21

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

You tease so they expect the gem to be along the right lines? 

We've already saw how stubborn the cold can be, these weak heights are hard to model, I'm quite hopefull about the 12z, remember of course anything past 120 atm is just for fun, unless it shows cold and snow then it's picked up on the obvious pattern ❄️❄️❄️

Hi, no but very uncertain post weekend. However , the British winter so far seems to be chasing the mild rather than the cold, if you know what I mean. 

C

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, IDO said:

Never say never with weather, but the trend is your friend, or not in this case, and with only gem and a handful of gefs now pointing in that direction with T-5days, I am doubtful. There is a good chance we may get another stalling front at the weekend before the Atlantic rolls in so fingers crossed for that boundary for some temporary snow?

I am still sitting firmly on the fence as to after the Atlantic trough has emptied east/SE. The gfs op 06z is probably the favourite:

gfsnh-0-318.thumb.png.05e62591c7e4ed53e682fdb0076d7686.pnggfsnh-1-318.thumb.png.639223eda98ad0a2a05ff53e07800689.png

The UK (south) relying on scraps and just not cold enough uppers for anything too interesting. The north and elevation will enjoy that NW'ly flow.

They said that about the last lots of snow that's still mostly still here, the uppers were mediocre at best, but we had the best snowfall in 3 years here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
6 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

They said that about the last lots of snow that's still mostly still here, the uppers were mediocre at best, but we had the best snowfall in 3 years here.

Yes, 404 feet above sea-level mitigates the uppers a bit. Even at sea-level we had a couple of hours but most of it melted after the snow passed through.

Still a lot of spread post-d8 but general theme is cool to colder in London for 850s:

graphe3_10000_305.3872833251953_151.5040283203125___.thumb.png.d3e4956b9d259bae2e2acc656fc21b0e.png

Very similar to what has come before (IMBY)...

Edited by IDO
  • Like 3

Posted

Who needs a beasterly to get any snow. Just take a look at GFS 06z ensemble Member 14 at 384 hours

image.thumb.png.12f589c073fc681c61294a8ad064be70.pngimage.thumb.png.fc3d6105f815fe020e94da0138333229.png

Time to bring on the polar opposite, the BESTERLY

Before you think your eyes are deceiving you. That is uppers of -10 at 850hpa from the west covering most of England with -12 uppers over SE England

Edited by SqueakheartLW
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.dac29fa0a9bdf587d2d26bafc3fc11c2.png

Geared up for a climb down in temps at the start of Feb , quite a few members between -5 and -10 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Who needs a beasterly to get any snow. Just take a look at GFS 06z ensemble Member 14 at 384 hours

image.thumb.png.12f589c073fc681c61294a8ad064be70.pngimage.thumb.png.fc3d6105f815fe020e94da0138333229.png

Time to bring on the polar opposite, the BESTERLY

Before you think your eyes are deceiving you. That is uppers of -10 at 850hpa from the west covering most of England with -12 uppers over SE England

Westerlies giving -10c 850hpa temps. I just know if that came off we would be buried in snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
51 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

There is quite a downbeat mood in here again this morning..save yourself some stress folks..things will look better before much longer..I think Lockdown is affecting many of us..but if we can get through this past year like we have,then I'm sure we can deal with a few days of bad model output.

The milder conditions that are coming could be a signal of MJO move and Nina forcing,it could also be the first signs of the SPV regaining some strength with temps dropping over the pole for the first time in a long time. Models may be latching onto this..But its looking a good call for a further warming event and perhaps another reversal to come,so that Vortex is not going to be getting much time to recover...I would say interesting times into the first week of February again..keep the faith folks.its not all bad..

Thanks to Marco P for putting up the graphs.

Esp90lXWMAAE4P5.jpeg

Esp90zMXAAECKug.jpeg

Esp91EOXcAAgyVI.jpeg

Esp91gkXIAA0NFI.jpeg

With the SPV +12m/s westerly ATM  is this why the models keep pushing through the Atlantic with a strong jet. With a steep drop off of the SPV imminent perhaps this will help keeping back the Atlantic and disrupt the jet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Westerlies giving -10c 850hpa temps. I just know if that came off we would be buried in snow!

Problem is they don't last, apart from the 17th Dec 2010 but that was a wind veering westerly in an overall huge Arctic airmass, the Westerly PM airmasses tend to have mild sectors in them, they don't even deliver for Saddleworth so what chance for Manchester, Liverpool and Preston etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, MATTWOLVES said:

What we all need while in a miserable lockdown is some out there Gfs Snow graphs..firstly on Sunday,all be it transient..but it could disrupt and slow down..further chances along the line surely!! Its been that kind of Winter..me,I'm as happy as a pig in dung.

06_126_preciptype.png

06_195_preciptype.png

06_297_preciptype.png

37076d0752f89a1b813a1b87851f4db8.jpg

When I look at the morning runs nothing was indicative as these snow graphics you show .  Will have to look at latest runs . Couldn’t see any 850s -5 over us down here in southwest yet snow shows on your graphics 

weather looks quite zonal comping up 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Thanks Tamara. After a couple of days February 2009 delivered nothing special. So no prolonged, very cold weather this winter 

Her thoughts mirror what the UKMO have been saying all along.  The cold air makes it further south at times before retreating northwards again. Hopefully in this setup it will be quite snowy at times over a wide area during the next month.

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

The post i was just going to replie to which asked Tamara...(so no long lived cold snap)seems to have been removed. Tamara states the possibility going forward is there,but does not want to issue  a forecast for February...which Is basically sensible,there is a lot going on with both the Strat and the Pacific.. Im pretty confident the last warming on January 5th is at least partly responsible for some of the snow events that have been witnessed recently. With a further warming due we could be looking at a similar scenario again as we move into February...if a split were to occur we could get a much more significant cold blast.. or its possible nothing at all. 

So its possible two major impacters of our conditions,namely the Pacific and the strat will be tussling for the rights to boss our conditions over the coming weeks.To sum that up in a nutshell will most like equate to Model volatility. Who would be a forecaster at this present time!.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Hi Matt, good post; with which I agree!

It may only be me, but where does Tamara deny the possibility of an extended outbreak of cold, snowy weather? IMO, she's diagnosing the current atmosphere as it is, and postulating about how it might develop? I do suspect that a few folks (not you, by the way) are trying to distill Tams's posts into eye-catching one-liners...?

My usual caveat -- I might well be talking utter shi'ite -- applies!

I maybe wrong, but I read it as she has enough experience to know that you can never be certain of any one outcome, but if pushed she favours la nina, while not giving a  typical flat profile, acting as  enough of a spoiler to any prolonged cold spell in the UK.

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
42 minutes ago, offerman said:

When I look at the morning runs nothing was indicative as these snow graphics you show .  Will have to look at latest runs . Couldn’t see any 850s -5 over us down here in southwest yet snow shows on your graphics 

weather looks quite zonal comping up 

Apart from this 

image.thumb.png.9142366e79f388d78e526641273e2efb.png

Snow crossing the UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Anywho, with fronts stalling over Scotty, this winter really does remind me of a typical 1960s (1963's ridiculous anomaly notwithstanding) winter:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

All we need now is a wee bit of luck!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

ICON 12z looks like it might be going for the snow event on Sunday. Certainly looks positive out to t120.

7DC91369-CBE1-4F39-9EBB-6AFD85AFC6F2.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1