Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 24/01/21

phil nw.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jason H said:

Snow chances at the weekend, ushered away sharpish by the Atlantic. Then what? 

Thank you.  It's clear as the nose on our faces that the broader pattern is set from when any transitory snow event comes through in Sunday that event will be the transfer of pattern to Atlantic phase next week.  The big pattern changes are signalled accuratly and well in advance. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The gfs 06z shows no move towards the gem at the weekend. The gfs op is just slower with the Atlantic pushing through and we know from the past, this is expected. The gem undercuts the wedge with some disruption to the Atlantic trough, to prolong the cold:

gfs D6>gfs-0-144.thumb.png.69bd3c088777faaff2ca60d77a44c31e.pnggem?gem-0-144.thumb.png.781403ceb370164744bdb4a6f385f26f.png

Sadly on this chart the gfs is not even close to undercutting. Maybe a blend of the two, no undercut but the low slowing down further?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, IDO said:

The gfs 06z shows no move towards the gem at the weekend. The gfs op is just slower with the Atlantic pushing through and we know from the past, this is expected. The gem undercuts the wedge with some disruption to the Atlantic trough, to prolong the cold:

gfs D6>gfs-0-144.thumb.png.69bd3c088777faaff2ca60d77a44c31e.pnggem?gem-0-144.thumb.png.781403ceb370164744bdb4a6f385f26f.png

Sadly on this chart the gfs is not even close to undercutting. Maybe a blend of the two, no undercut but the low slowing down further?

The move to gem was at 72-96, with a stronger wedge

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

The move to gem was at 72-96, with a stronger wedge

I am not sure that a wedge, even stronger, will hold back another Atlantic push? Wedges tend to go with the flow once beyond a breaking point and the gfsP has now come into line with that consensus. I would never trust gem where blocking is concerned as the verification shows in the last 10 days:

gfsP>gfs-0-162.thumb.png.c08ab9478435bba38594fc3a220226a0.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, IDO said:

I am not sure that a wedge, even stronger, will hold back another Atlantic push? Wedges tend to go with the flow once beyond a breaking point and the gfsP has now come into line with that consensus. I would never trust gem where blocking is concerned as the verification shows in the last 10 days:

gfsP>gfs-0-162.thumb.png.c08ab9478435bba38594fc3a220226a0.png

For sure the Atlantic pushing through is the favoured option right now, but it's still on a knife edge at 120

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.518cb731c3b1784acf04be7dbdcef4e5.png

Heavy snow moving south...

image.thumb.png.b95422b404e440fdc7ca1da0ef6e3fa6.png

Decent FI for sure 

Edited by MJB
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

For sure the Atlantic pushing through is the favourite option right now, but it's still on a knife edge at 120

Never say never with weather, but the trend is your friend, or not in this case, and with only gem and a handful of gefs now pointing in that direction with T-5days, I am doubtful. There is a good chance we may get another stalling front at the weekend before the Atlantic rolls in so fingers crossed for that boundary for some temporary snow?

I am still sitting firmly on the fence as to after the Atlantic trough has emptied east/SE. The gfs op 06z is probably the favourite:

gfsnh-0-318.thumb.png.05e62591c7e4ed53e682fdb0076d7686.pnggfsnh-1-318.thumb.png.639223eda98ad0a2a05ff53e07800689.png

The UK (south) relying on scraps and just not cold enough uppers for anything too interesting. The north and elevation will enjoy that NW'ly flow.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
10 minutes ago, IDO said:

Never say never with weather, but the trend is your friend, or not in this case, and with only gem and a handful of gefs now pointing in that direction with T-5days, I am doubtful. There is a good chance we may get another stalling front at the weekend before the Atlantic rolls in so fingers crossed for that boundary for some temporary snow?

I am still sitting firmly on the fence as to after the Atlantic trough has emptied east/SE. The gfs op 06z is probably the favourite:

gfsnh-0-318.thumb.png.05e62591c7e4ed53e682fdb0076d7686.pnggfsnh-1-318.thumb.png.639223eda98ad0a2a05ff53e07800689.png

The UK (south) relying on scraps and just not cold enough uppers for anything too interesting. The north and elevation will enjoy that NW'ly flow.

Any thoughts on Matt Hugos comments /gifs and trends? 

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

Any thoughts on Matt Hugos comments /gifs and trends? 

I have no idea. This is def a one-off year and I would not rule anything in or out? Feb could see quick responses to background signals so looking post-d10 will be less useful than it is normally. If every year was similar to this I would not complain and although it has been more miss than hit in the south so far, it is much better than if the SSWE did not happen. I am one for patterns so I would say more of the same for the remaining Winter if I was pushed.

The 06z shows the average period in the next 8-days IMBY:

graphe9_00000_305.9992218017578_153.0732421875___.thumb.png.47f656a3ce1ac1704b2baba5b58f7800.png

Low chances of snow over the weekend, the op being one of the coldest at that point.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
43 minutes ago, Griff said:

Mr Hugo saying,

"Those thinking winter is over are likely to be wrong..."

Does he mention where this is? Nowosibirsk is definitely still in game for some colder spells

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
17 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Who needs a Greeny or Scandy high anyway...

image.thumb.png.c01dd051ccfcc39f635c8fa9ee55af0d.png

Me. Would even order one at Wish! if they would deliver in time...

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Vikos said:

Me. Would even order one at Wish! if they would deliver in time...

Lots going on ..

MJO could be our wildcard....I'm still looking west or North West height rises as we move through early Feb...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

No T+300+ megabeast on today's GFS 06Z -- I guess that's down to 'missing data'! Not to fear though: the 12Z knows more!?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
31 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Just out of interest the wedge of cold Arctic air is now locked over Torshavn for a least 4 to 5 days  going by at the latest models. The picture is from the airport and temp is currently -5c with -10c 850mb level temps getting established as shown from the last sounding for the location with a solid Arctic profile way up past 500mb level. Longer term we need to see this set up consolidate and force some undercut into the British Isles. Still out to 96 hours remains up for grabs according to the team over here but current  operational runs apart from GEM not in favour as yet !

C

image.jpg

06011_21012600_2600.gif

You tease so they expect the gem to be along the right lines? 

We've already saw how stubborn the cold can be, these weak heights are hard to model, I'm quite hopefull about the 12z, remember of course anything past 120 atm is just for fun, unless it shows cold and snow then it's picked up on the obvious pattern ❄️❄️❄️

• Like 1