Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the last third of January

Paul

Posted
17 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Day 10 anyone? Easterly into East/SE at yep day ten, uppers not cold at this stage but one to watch on ECM

ECM1-240.gif

That’s clearly 5 minutes away from toppling and south westerlies resuming. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
9 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Something has happened in the 0z ECM ensembles.

Manchester 2m yesterday's 12z ensembles had it favouring average to mild from the 27th January into early February

image.thumb.png.4f6e4544002109896e3ce673f8763c0d.png

Now the 0z's are favouring below average at the start of February

image.thumb.png.7f5fd9690c1cfb03f537bf3da15d62c6.png

Wind direction says a lot there, good shift to an Easterly direction.

Encouraging signs. 

EDIT: Scandi got there before I did.

Edited by Snowman.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

ECM has chances of snow tomorrow, Sun and Mon now...

B5BAF8C3-3FFE-4557-BCD1-33E34ED0C247.jpeg

0AD9CBA5-2871-475E-9569-56E939A763F0.jpeg

5961A6CB-90D3-43A0-B5AE-AE0283ABA2B5.jpeg

980321AD-CD26-49EF-91C5-70B2CE08AB5D.jpeg

I’ve the confidence in the eps having an Easterly  at day 12 than those being right !

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I’ve the confidence in the eps having an Easterly  at day 12 than those being right !

Haha come on Blue..the extended EPS have shown as many fantastic sets at day 12 as the ECM has shown snow charts for the south.  During December it was always “extended EPS look positive tonight” it was almost as predictable as me posting the ECM snow charts

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Uncertainy said:

Thinking of throwing in the cold towel for this winter?

- Clear signs of convection moving into the western pacific

- Weakening La Niña signal 

- The best set of ensembles for favourable Northern blocking in the day 10+ range for quite some time, building upon a very blocked week 3 EC46

- This 18z might not get there, but It looks like it’s toying with the idea of Scandi heights. I have a feeling quite a few runs will get there in the near future.

image.thumb.png.470c2aab201df0cbb4dd03bd5e72e658.png

The continued weak vortex state leaves blocking patterns open to development, we just need a trigger. Hopefully this mjo wave upgrades higher towards the 6/7 phase space over the coming days. If it does, combined with what looks like another technical reversal, then that’s a very good position to be entering February with, regardless of the disappointment this fascinating, generally blocked winter has brought to many so far.

Lets be honest, if we had that mjo forecast combined with an upcoming strat reversal in a winter that had seen little blocking up to this point then this forum would be a lot busier. Unfortunately, the mode bias of this winter thus far has been to downgrade great charts for U.K. cold at day 8-9 so it’s understandable that things are quite tonight (present company excluding the excellent @Griff). For me, the background signals are better now than they have ever been. I’ve been stung so may times even just this year by blocking fails that I’m not going to get excited by this but objectively, Scandi heights at day 10-12 seems a logical progression. 

Its a real shame the parallel’s gone all inconsistent with its data release as it was quite consistently showing heights over Scandi. 

Let’s see where we are by the end of the weekend... snow chances for some, North and South in the meantime. 

9 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Perhaps milder next week but gradually colder towards next weekend Griff..Cold air is lurking to the NE...And I have a graph here from M Ventrice of a very possible warming of the strat next week...yet more aggro for the models to deal with..I think I nicked the chart from your twitter page

Ps...I don't understand why all the big hitters on here were talking about front loaded winter for... I said all along it would be a backended one..come show your appreciation by following me on Twitter.. only joking folks I will drive you nuts.

gfs-0-246.png

gfs-0-264.png

gfs-0-282.png

gfs-1-270.png

EsSXnpiXYAA8AjY.jpeg

The parallel should have been released behind an age verification check, clearly the biggest tease since Friday nights on Channel 5, when it first came on air... But that's another story... 

Looks like it's well and truly stopped now. Whether that's because it's ready to go live as the operational or as others have been suggesting, it needs more TLC before a full rollout? 

Clearly a lot of anticipation on wx Social, pros and amateurs alike. Are we getting ahead of ourselves? Who can blame us? 

I read a comment yesterday on this thread that most of the UK hasn't seen wintry weather yet. I suspect by area, a great percentage of the land mass has seen winter compared to average, the point is the population density is skewed to the south east of England, so perceptions might be warped?

Jff

flooded-railway-line.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Benson UK climate averages

My local station happens to be Benson, so might be an oddity... So these are England and Wales averages (sorry Scotland). 

February is often cold! 

Screenshot_20210122-082537__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210122-082547__01.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

The latest fax charts for Sunday are so different to any other model. Just grazing the south coast! Any thoughts it'll change or that'll be it?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

This EC ENS is like the mother of outlier

spacer.png 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
4 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

The latest fax charts for Sunday are so different to any other model. Just grazing the south coast! Any thoughts it'll change or that'll be it?

I put more faith in the fax charts than anything the models churn out.

• Like 2

Posted

ECM 0z Ensemble mean

spacer.png

Both sets of ensembles from ECM 0z and GFS 0z suggest a colder evolution as we start Feb ( after a 4 / 5 days milder period )

This ties in rather well with what the Met O are saying in the longer term outlook. Northerly winds perhaps into Feb ? or even a Scandi High perhaps ?

.....and in the very short term ( and not to be forgotten ) snow opportunities Fri to Tue for many too.

GFS 0z ensembles ( below )

gfs-beverley-gb-54n-05w (7).png

Edited by Jeremy Shockey
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

It has been a very consistent modelling period with solid x-model agreement with regards to the long-wave mean NH pattern and at d10 that remains, all having the key features:

63643699_EDH1-240(11).thumb.gif.cb1f1f30d58ea7f33eb75ab9adcee4c4.gif2016301256_gensnh-31-1-240(7).thumb.png.6826b04f34a0997774d23e6a91498991.png1128325486_gensnh-21-1-240(4).thumb.png.05b7c6ffe8cb1af11b97a63177e55219.png 

ecm>gfs>gem means at d10^^^

There are subtle difference for the UK within that synoptic mean, notably the gem is the flatter and the gem op looks a 100% total synoptic outlier. Looking like 5 cooler days followed by 4 milder days here in London:

464443362_graphe6_10000_310.2572021484375_150.2449493408203___(1).thumb.png.23b916ac1a7ced5d9e26c61342f5bd8a.png d13>gens_panel_biz5.png

Then either a return to slightly below average or colder still. The gefs at d13^^^are interesting and offer some hope for week 2 changes in Feb? Hard to make much out of the clustering but maybe an Atlantic ridge cluster? Best to keep to about d10 as that seems to have strong mean agreement (the ops at d10 have been a mess, ecm pretty bad and gem having some difficulties, gfsP MIA so none of that height-biased curve-balls).

The eps signal for an easterly looks more like the UK in a trough with a feed from a low from the E/NE? But those members with the clusters can clarify on that. I certainly do not see in that range a BFTE or Scandi high.

Whether we can get an extended severe snowy period remains lower than I hoped, as the strat imprint has not really worked for the south. So my expectations are further wintry spells favouring the north.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Latest icon keeps it further north, interesting difference compared to the fax chart at a relatively short range

Still got the snow swinging in fron west to east on sunday?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summer. Snowy Winter.
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Oooo, thanks for sharing this, forgot to check wetterzentrale. Good to see the signal has remained and is now counting down.

That's chart is a day old. Para has stopped running.

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Vikos said:

This EC ENS is like the mother of outlier

spacer.png 

Wow an outlier from day 6!!!!!could we see better disruption on day 5 and 6 this evening from ecm?!!

• Like 2