Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the last third of January

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Purga said:

There's some rather sexy snow spikes showing on the London GEFS

image.thumb.png.282b287cf01d6d08ece70915e66654d8.png

I think the Mods ought to censor this type of thing.

Look at the ones for Manchester at a shorter timeframe, its nonsense data, i have a 0% chance of seeing a single flake.

image.thumb.png.a102b65a4b3e95776809013b336f7748.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Interesting period i think coming up folks..Matt H pointed out some of the big temp contrasts of the 500 and 850 temp gradients and how we could have quite a rash of activity building in the Irish Sea later this week..And according to those ECM graphs snow is possible in many places into next week..gonna need a couple of days to probably not nail it down but double sided sticky pad it down.

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_39_18_108.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_45_18_108.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_88_18_108.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_162_18_108.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_168_18_108.png

M4 Snowshield  in full effect there guys

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Look at the ones for Manchester at a shorter timeframe, its nonsense data, i have a 0% chance of seeing a single flake.

image.thumb.png.a102b65a4b3e95776809013b336f7748.png

haha we will be lucky to get a cm over here 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
10 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Interesting period i think coming up folks..Matt H pointed out some of the big temp contrasts of the 500 and 850 temp gradients and how we could have quite a rash of activity building in the Irish Sea later this week..And according to those ECM graphs snow is possible in many places into next week..gonna need a couple of days to probably not nail it down but double sided sticky pad it down.

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_39_18_108.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_45_18_108.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_88_18_108.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_162_18_108.png

xx_model-en-330-0_modez_2021012000_168_18_108.png

M4 Snowshield  in full effect there guys

Bit more than the M4  just as well those charts are about as useful as using a sieve to empty a bath 

Edited by MJB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 minutes ago, MJB said:

Bit more than the M4  just as well those charts are about as useful as using a sieve to empty a bath 

I did say double sided sticky pads! The main point of my post was could be quite a bit of convection from the Irish Sea.But yeh precipitation graphics beyond 3 days are pretty poor.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
5 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I did say double sided sticky pads! The main point of my post was could be quite a bit of convection from the Irish Sea.But yeh precipitation graphics beyond 3 days are pretty poor.

Just stating Matt that nothing is nailed on image.thumb.png.3c35f2a74ce9373ecd79b4ae11ac9b27.pngbut I totally agree that tonights temperature drop will probably fire off some lively showers, maybe with thundersnow too.

• Like 5

Posted

Past D10 The GFS 6z, followed the 0z by showing the tendency to move the Iberian heights back West.  Would be good to see that continue, and come inside D10, (for all those that don’t like Iberian heights).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a stonking set of GEFS 06Z ensembles!

t850Bedfordshire.png    prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

WHERE'S MY SNOW! WHERE'S MY SNOW!

• Like 2

Posted

Can we just discuss the model output in here please. There are various other threads to discuss the variety of other topics which have come up in here in the last 20 minutes. 

• Like 8

Posted
22 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

MJO update:

Not a bad place for it to get stuck and loop!

Nearly every ensemble makes it into 6 or 7 on the ECM.

GEFS gets there too, but a bit slower.

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full (3).gif

combphase_noCFSfull (2).gif

Better than other phases of course but it's barely out the COD and very low amplitude.

Now, the jet has been struggling all WInter anyway and maybe this will further impair any recovery but I remain sceptical of any MJO assistance for now.

• Like 7

Posted
7 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Better than other phases of course but it's barely out the COD and very low amplitude.

Now, the jet has been struggling all WInter anyway and maybe this will further impair any recovery but I remain sceptical of any MJO assistance for now.

I'm cautious, but it may just give us the opportunity to allow weak blocking in our locale for once, also the warming should stop the Atlantic from marching in.

gfsnh-10-228.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
4 hours ago, bluearmy said:

The ssw was the 5th 

It’s now two weeks later 

generally ssw after effects are felt in the toprop two to three weeks later away from any areas which see a quick response. Thereafter downwelling waves come every few weeks for a period. Again, no certainties about how that manifests itself in the trop 

we saw the reversal head down quickly into the trop and the effects were to sustain the already neg AO.  This has led to a long fetch easterly from the urals to the nw Atlantic ...... 

so yes, no affect on U.K. weather but many opportunities over the next six weeks or so should show 

Exactly.

@sebastiaan1973 posted the Domeisen article that contains the downwelling graph below.

In the second picture, I took the European blocking type and edited a bit, looking at just the layers closer to the surface and adding the timeline we are on this year.

Note: This is NOT a forecast, it is just the effects of previous SSW of the same general category overlaid with this year's dates.

As you can see, we are probably just getting started with the impact of the SSW, if it behaves at least somewhat similar to this general picture. And February might be promising, so it is not a surprise to see the output improve around the turn of the month.

wcd-1-373-2020-f03-web.png.e0fd3ddb1e91e8c01e6069219a34fa86.png

SSW-Impact_20jan.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Exactly.

@sebastiaan1973 posted the Domeisen article that contains the downwelling graph below.

In the second picture, I took the European blocking type and edited a bit, looking at just the layers closer to the surface and adding the timeline we are on this year.

Note: This is NOT a forecast, it is just the effects of previous SSW of the same general category overlaid with this year's dates.

As you can see, we are probably just getting started with the impact of the SSW, if it behaves at least somewhat similar to this general picture. And February might be promising, so it is not a surprise to see the output improve around the turn of the month.

SSW-Impact_20jan.png

Exactly this, no guarantees, and echoes what the pros have been saying, not just now in reference to this particular event but whenever they discuss SSWs in general. Simon Lee went to lengths recently to discuss how it favours improved outcomes in terms of probability of increased cold. It was quite amusing as he used pizza as an analogy, needless to say everyone wants a slice, you have a better chance than usual, but might still end up hungry... Clear?

TLDR you have to be patient. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
48 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Exactly.

SSW-Impact_20jan.png

interesting, that suggests a greenland block assists or even causes a ssw

• Like 1

Posted

Looks almost certain it will be mild in the final days of January and possibly trending colder in Feb. The cold interlude this week where -7 850hpa temps are showing up aren't rly being translated on the ground, looks about average temp wise. Fair to say this January had so much potential, just didn't come off in the way we wanted. Now it's February's time to shine!

t.thumb.png.831c0ea7db827f5d3959208cb9f1a49e.png

Saturday 23rd January:

GFSOPEU06_66_1.thumb.png.03bc99198a1e045efcf993de94c03a86.png GFSOPEU06_66_2.thumb.png.ad984cef12fb389ab5474782e057406e.png

Tuesday 26th January:

GFSOPEU06_144_1.thumb.png.9f5c07bd1596cdac0eb1f783506a393d.pngGFSOPEU06_144_2.thumb.png.520aed720205fd11df46133f51be75f5.png

notice the pressure over Greenland 

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, General Cluster said:

What a stonking set of GEFS 06Z ensembles!

t850Bedfordshire.png    prmslBedfordshire.png

t2mBedfordshire.png    prcpBedfordshire.png

WHERE'S MY SNOW! WHERE'S MY SNOW!

Sorry, stonking in terms of what? Stonkingly average? Serious question just wondering what I am missing

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, ptow said:

Sorry, stonking in terms of what? Stonkingly average? Serious question just wondering what I am missing

Stonkingly crap!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Mmm someone's getting pasted

image.thumb.png.7b9752684994634a8376867646f0a43d.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
39 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Icon is quite active with the front that moves in Saturday night. Few cms widely I would imagine with it coming in after dark.

Edit: added the icon EU charts for corresponding timeframe. Snow falling v snow depth

icon-2-84.png

icon-2-87.png

icon-2-90.png

iconeu_uk1-46-93-0.png

iconeu_uk1-45-96-0.png

I’ve noticed a few different times that there seems to be a Great Wall that stops the precipitation from carrying over Ireland and stops at coasts, is this an error within the models or due to some weather phenomena I’m not familiar with? Thanks in advance