Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The journey to the red planet


Recommended Posts

Does humanity actually need Mars colonization? Elon Musk and Space X invest a lot of resources in Starship and Mars colonization. But as most people know the journey to this planet is not a piece of cake and it is rather dangerous for the crew of the spacecraft. Also, they did not figure out how to solve the fuel issue to get to the red planet and bring the crew back. ( Not even mentioning the harsh environment of the red planet. To prepare the crew for it will be very costly to invent special suits or capsules )

Link to post
Share on other sites
Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
Posted
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm.
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.

    Depends on climate change. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 16/01/2021 at 17:50, Hurricane Squad said:

    Depends on climate change. 

    I don`t think this is the planet we can live on. It has really harsh environment, low temperature and high level of radiation. Also, we still cannot reach this planet with crewed mission

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Stockport, South Manchester
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
  • Location: Stockport, South Manchester

    To survive on mars we would probably need artificial habitat with some form of life support systems. Especially water processing systems, as with us being mainly made of water we would die without it. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    17 hours ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

    To survive on mars we would probably need artificial habitat with some form of life support systems. Especially water processing systems, as with us being mainly made of water we would die without it. 

    This  artificial habitat must be strong enough to resist the high radiation level and low temperature. The idea of ISS located near the Mars seems the most advanced but still, we don`t know how to get it there.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    • 4 weeks later...
    Posted
  • Location: Near Beverley, East Yorks. (2 metres a.s.l.)
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
  • Location: Near Beverley, East Yorks. (2 metres a.s.l.)

    Yay, safely down.  How fab.
    Wonderful science   🙂

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Beverley, East Yorks. (2 metres a.s.l.)
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons
  • Location: Near Beverley, East Yorks. (2 metres a.s.l.)

    And what a treat to go outside just now and have such a clear view of
    Mars just above the Moon.    🙂

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
    On 16/01/2021 at 14:43, bearnard18 said:

    Does humanity actually need Mars colonization? Elon Musk and Space X invest a lot of resources in Starship and Mars colonization. But as most people know the journey to this planet is not a piece of cake and it is rather dangerous for the crew of the spacecraft. Also, they did not figure out how to solve the fuel issue to get to the red planet and bring the crew back. ( Not even mentioning the harsh environment of the red planet. To prepare the crew for it will be very costly to invent special suits or capsules )

    Mars will not be properly colonised in our lifetimes due to the constraints however yes we should absolutely venture beyond our own planet be it for resources or science. Actually getting there is doable in terms of reasonable development.

    On 16/01/2021 at 15:50, Eagle Eye said:

    Depends on climate change. 

    Curious as to what you mean. Climate change will cause severe ecological damage if unchecked and may even cause food/water pressures in some areas of the world however there is no reasonable scenario which results in humans becoming extinct.

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm.
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.
    6 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

    Mars will not be properly colonised in our lifetimes due to the constraints however yes we should absolutely venture beyond our own planet be it for resources or science. Actually getting there is doable in terms of reasonable development.

    Curious as to what you mean. Climate change will cause severe ecological damage if unchecked and may even cause food/water pressures in some areas of the world however there is no reasonable scenario which results in humans becoming extinct.

    It depends how far into the future you are looking.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm.
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.

    We have landed on Mars, it shows that Science needs to be taken seriously,

    An amazing feat for humanity and it shows our humanity and it made me cry with happiness when the people who helped put it there are cheering and congratulating and that is why working for NASA is my second job to being a Meteorology

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
    20 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

    It depends how far into the future you are looking.

    To actually make us extinct you would need to remove the knowledge to grow food and turn the world into one large desert or wait a few million years for the oceans to produce Hydrogen Peroxide in sufficient levels to gas us.

    What we are really talking about with climate change is how many billions of people we can support.

     

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    27 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

    Mars will not be properly colonised in our lifetimes due to the constraints however yes we should absolutely venture beyond our own planet be it for resources or science. Actually getting there is doable in terms of reasonable development.

    Curious as to what you mean. Climate change will cause severe ecological damage if unchecked and may even cause food/water pressures in some areas of the world however there is no reasonable scenario which results in humans becoming extinct.

    I consider that we can use Mars not for living aims. If Mars has some fossils we can use for our benefits, we can use red planet for that purpose. But now we can only dream and discuss that as our technology is too weak for that.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
    13 minutes ago, bearnard18 said:

    I consider that we can use Mars not for living aims. If Mars has some fossils we can use for our benefits, we can use red planet for that purpose. But now we can only dream and discuss that as our technology is too weak for that.

    Yes, right now the success will be getting a person on Mars and back. It will probably be next century before there is a bubble city or teraforming.

    Edited by summer blizzard
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    I was a kid when we first landed on Mars and, for that matter, Venus! But what if the Martian soil is sterile?🤔

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm.
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.
    2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

    To actually make us extinct you would need to remove the knowledge to grow food and turn the world into one large desert or wait a few million years for the oceans to produce Hydrogen Peroxide in sufficient levels to gas us.

    What we are really talking about with climate change is how many billions of people we can support.

     

     

    About 10 Billion estimates say we will reach 11 billion by 2050.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm.
  • Location: Woodchurch, Kent.

    We are going to colonise the red planet but it may take thousands of Years before poorer people get the choice after we've terraformed it. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

    Yes, right now the success will be getting a person on Mars and back. It will probably be next century before there is a bubble city or teraforming.

    This is even problematic now to  get there and I think that we are not ready for that. Our technology is too we and still need an improvement. Probably in 10 years we will be able to send crewed mission on the red planet but not now.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 18/02/2021 at 22:53, Weather-history said:
    21381_PIA22109-min.jpg
    MARS.NASA.GOV

    Information on how to watch the landing of the Perseverance rover.

     

    Did you hear about the first ever UK-built Mars rover? The launch schedules for 2022
    The overall objective of this mission is to investigate the presence and history of water on Mars to consider the question of whether or not life either has existed or still does exist there.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Weekend plans: Day trips and evenings out

      Little change by this weekend with further heavy showers. There will be some warm sunshine in between but temperatures remain in the teens with more of a breeze. Still cool for sitting out. Read more here

      Jo Farrow
      Jo Farrow
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

      UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2021-05-12 09:20:25 Valid: 12/05/2021 0600 - 13/05/2021 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - WEDS 12TH MAY 2021 Click here for the full forecast

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Thunderstorm Safety: How to avoid being struck by lightning

      What is the best thing to do if you are caught in a thunderstorm, in the park, on a ramble, playing golf or at the beach? Predicting lightning and where is safe? Read more here

      Jo Farrow
      Jo Farrow
      Latest weather updates from Netweather
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...