Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

No point spinning . The brutal truth is the Greenie Ridge heads off into the sunset , any deeper cold sees the U.K. and panics and it looks like nothing but a washout for most with some snow reserved for higher elevations .

It’s quite extraordinary to see the PV in Siberia , no PV anywhere to the north or nw but the sum total is crud for the UK .

I’m beginning to wonder whether the SSW shuffled the pack and left Western Europe with the worst outcome .

After tonight’s outputs surely the only way is up ! 

The effects of the SSW will be felt for way longer than this 3 week period especially with an already weakened vortex. It only occurred on the 5th ,10 days ago 

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

No point spinning . The brutal truth is the Greenie Ridge heads off into the sunset , any deeper cold sees the U.K. and panics and it looks like nothing but a washout for most with some snow reserved for higher elevations .

It’s quite extraordinary to see the PV in Siberia , no PV anywhere to the north or nw but the sum total is crud for the UK .

I’m beginning to wonder whether the SSW shuffled the pack and left Western Europe with the worst outcome .

Don't you believe it!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
1 minute ago, chris55 said:

Here is a different view. (day 8 from the ops GFS and ECM)

A boundary snowfall is a high probability IMO. Less cold/more mild......depends on where you are and how the pattern unfolds. Means just blur the lines in this set up.

Ec day 8

spacer.png

GFS day 8

spacer.png

Love your optimism and hope for the best!

2 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

A waste of time looking past day 10 if that. Listen to the pros. Weathertrending.com for example.

We can look at the pros and digest and then use our own experience and make our own best guess. Nothing wrong in that even if we are more miss than hit! They are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
3 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Then why did you post the day 8 ECM op and the day 8 GFS mean???

Read my previous posts today and you will see that has always been what the models have been saying (circa d10). I do not post d9-d10 ecm charts, and I suspect you are bored with me explaining the reasons why! I am mean and cluster fan after d8!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Wasn't the story when the SSW happened that a quick tropical response would take us to the 20th as landing date, but that it's usually a slower process, like 3-6 weeks?

If we say: "Don't look beyond +144h", that means even the quickest  QTR would only just be visible in the reliable timeframe today, let alone the slower response.
I'm not saying that we will see Narnia on the charts tomorrow, but maybe we should wait just a little longer with conclusions about the SSW.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

ECM at day 6 showing fairly good agreement with the earlier GFS and UKMO .

ECH1-144.thumb.gif.897511914cba164a321185bd8fc07cc0.gif

So a bit of an up and down again week to come by the looks of it  temperature wise.The 850's for Warks.

warks.thumb.gif.236a9c54c15b1701069619c38f9d2c50.gif

The fronts moving in tomorrow with some transitional snow bringing in a less cold few days into mid-week with the Atlantic flow around the low as it lingers just to our north.Then we see the return to colder weather.

It could get interesting as the main jet will running to our south with any Atlantic lows coming against cold air to their east or north.

I will say no more at this stage,as we know this is a tricky scenario to judge this far out. 

• Like 7

Posted
29 minutes ago, IDO said:

Looks like we finally have consensus to around d10. The gefs mean and d8 ecm:

gens-31-1-192.thumb.png.665fb4869f8d0735f2b6f6d1f9f678e8.pngECM1-192.thumb.gif.3078de82bfe9e27829a0170ea879d284.gif

So a less cold period and we will just have to hope this is not a long spell.

It's becoming a bit like scrapping your finger nails down a blackboard, this chase (unless you've had snow this week in which case you probably mind less!!). The models are constantly between D6 and D10 at the point where you think something truly cold might develop, but the models keep it just out of reach. The ECM chart above, for instance - just a bit more separation between the Atlantic low and the Shetland low and the really cold purple finger might just swing south instead of west. And you know that, 7 days away, it's still a possibility. But few charts have upgraded recently inside D6 aside yesterday for the east Midlands. Maybe this time?

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, offerman said:

Spot on Nick, Always like reading your posts as no glossing it up or cherry picking. 

Thanks . Unfortunately everything that can go wrong does in tonight’s outputs .

It’s very disappointing for coldies but we’ve been here before , many times .

• Like 6

Posted

A

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Thanks . Unfortunately everything that can go wrong does in tonight’s outputs .

It’s very disappointing for coldies but we’ve been here before , many times .

And we will be here for a few more disappointing winter

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow like '63 - Sun like '76

Guys

Just because we are seeing substantial changes and anything post 5 days changes by the hour, please don't stop analysing what the long term is showing..... and then showing it! Just because it changes doesn't mean its wrong. It just means we are interpreting data from way out, in isolation. 

There is no harm in what might be.......... reality right now is pretty ***te anyway.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 minute ago, IDO said:

Read my previous posts today and you will see that has always been what the models have been saying (circa d10). I do not post d9-d10 ecm charts, and I suspect you are bored with me explaining the reasons why! I am mean and cluster fan after d8!

Thats fair enough but you can't just post a day 8 mean from GFS and a day 8 op from EC and state day ten will be less cold....without the context of your previous posts, I haven't read them lol.

One thing I will add from my point of view regarding means in this 'close boundary line' pattern is to take a look at the London vs Aberdeen spaghetti ensembles. (not looking beyond day 10-11 here)

You can see the milder spikes (away from the op) increasing in London from the 22nd but looking at Aberdeen they stay flatter, this is representative of milder air attempting to cross the UK acossiated with southerly tracking low pressure systems, on this boundary line there is a high chance of frontal snowfall.

London 

spacer.png

Aberdeen

spacer.png

Nothing set in stone as ever, but to say its 'optimism and hope" from my point of view is a bit harsh.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

The effects of the SSW will be felt for way longer than this 3 week period especially with an already weakened vortex. It only occurred on the 5th ,10 days ago 

Maybe so, but I'm struggling to see how positive changes will come about when the effects of the SSW seem clear in the model output, and that is for deep cold to be kept away from us. For all the talk of uncertainity by day 10, the models have firmed up on the idea of no proper cold outbreak during the last days of January

Unless this brief strat split somehow shuffle things up in a favourable way, i don't have confident in things changing for the better.  We had the villian of the piece, the Russian High, before the SSW to scupper cold coming this way, now post the SSW we are scuppered due to other things. It's sod's law!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Can someone please tell me the last time an ECM day 10 verified???..hmmm..I can answer that..NEVER!!...just enjoy the  ride, it’s a volatile period coming up with hopefully some nice sudden stratospheric warming  surprises...for coldies!

D1B7699A-76DF-4C2D-B55B-4DE24EB4024E.thumb.png.725fce53c23671e9e14a65f327599b65.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
2 minutes ago, swfc said:

Evening. I've never heard so much moaning over model output that's ten days away!!! The cross model output shows much fluidity even early on ete. Just wait to see how it pans out given the SSW and forcing. Remember it's weather and subject to change in 24 hrs. BTW things could be worse given the situation ie covid ete. Count your blessings and calm down

Quite so swfc. The trend in the medium term now  doesn’t have to the medium term trend in two/three or four days time or even tomorrow for that matter  By then the trend could be very different.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
4 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Some of you guys don't seem to follow the Strat Thread.

Strat is in a real mess right now, warming was now 10 days ago, reflections to Trop are just about to start (+14 days, sometimes even more). Models will pick up major changes when they occur, there is just not enough data for predictions, as the knowledge about influences Strat<->Trop are not fully known yet.

To say that winter is over and to moan over some "bad" outputs is not adequate in a (semi) professional synoptics thread, I think.

Yet this sensless comparission of 06z/12z runs (or 18z/00z) is a punch in the stomach for everybody interested in synoptics in the way it is ment do be done.

So again, everything beyond 120h is Didi-Land, we need that downwelling first in full effect...

Don't know about everybody else but Didi land to me translates to tiny land 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Snowmut said:

The sad truth of the matter is that Greenie has never been up for the fight, main problem being Lack of girth....

image.thumb.png.07678f0edf815432be28facc64af6575.png

Agreed. It has never been a true Greenland high that is the problem. If it was we would not have the problem with all these lows acting the maggot.

Posted

The models might not be showing cold nirvana for those who wish it, but MJO is forecast on the move into a more favorable position and another shot of trip wave into the strat in a week or so . Day 10 never verifies and Exeter's soundings are not the worst imo. Could be like last year..........

• Like 7

Posted
15 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Some of you guys don't seem to follow the Strat Thread.

Strat is in a real mess right now, warming was now 10 days ago, reflections to Trop are just about to start (+14 days, sometimes even more). Models will pick up major changes when they occur, there is just not enough data for predictions, as the knowledge about influences Strat<->Trop are not fully known yet.

To say that winter is over and to moan over some "bad" outputs is not adequate in a (semi) professional synoptics thread, I think.

Yet this sensless comparission of 06z/12z runs (or 18z/00z) is a punch in the stomach for everybody interested in synoptics in the way it is ment do be done.

So again, everything beyond 120h is Didi-Land, we need that downwelling first in full effect...

So you are saying the models have not factored  in the full effects of downwelling? So what are we seeing in the Northern Hemisphere profile. It looks to me that the effects of SSW are being shown in the output, but unfortunately we are not benefiting from it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
6 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Don't know about everybody else but Didi land to me translates to tiny land 

Google it

• Like 1