Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, YellowSnow said:

Are we allowed to say ‘Nailed on mild’ on this forum or is that classed as swearing to coldies?

No... But it would get you tagged as either a WUM or a troll!

• Like 9

Posted

GfS op all over the place after the reliable,huge scatter and op one of the mildest after 7 days,clueless again.Around a 22c difference in the ensembles,stop running the computer would be the best outcome after 144 hours

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 hour ago, Jason M said:

Interesting though how within days of the SSW occurring the output has settled quickly. The SSW has the reputation of introducing chaos but oddly this one seems to have had the opposite impact with most of the output agreeing on the overall pattern. I'm sure others will disagree on this which is fine, but for me we are looking south now rather than north as for the UK everything hinges on getting rid of those heights over Spain.

I think this rings very true.  My impression is that the last week has been characterized my an expectation that the models would suddenly flip, but they seem to have remained pretty steadfast and instead been about as consistent  and accurate as they've been all winter. Naturally this has coincided with them not for once bringing us bitterly cold weather! 

I'm conscious however that the accuracy might only relate to the weather we end getting, not why we end up getting it.   If the UK was a hour-clock and each pattern was a minute, then 58 of them would give us weather that wasn't bitterly cold.  The models just have to hit one of those 58 minutes, not necessarily the right one, to appear to have been accurate!  

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

In all fairness...the term nailed on should be moved to the netweather dungeons.Nothing in weather is ever nailed on,whether it be mild...hot...cold or wet,even at 96hours,and at a range of 10 days we shouldn't even be using the phrase stuck on with blue tac..

Cheers @carinthian

maybe Paul should add it to the swear filter and then it would autocorrect to 'might possibly be nailed on'  

Mind you, i am beginning to think the word 'winter' should be confined to the swear filter too  

Edited by MAF
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Well im no coldie, i prefer mild, but do believe we need cold in winter if that makes sense, lol. So im the last person to ramp cold, but im a realist, or try to be. Based on many years of experience especially in the 80's, the pattern this winter has been very reminiscent of those great cold winters. We have not one but 2 SSWs (although talk about those seems to have gone quiet now) , plenty of northern blocking, cold pooling to our north, there has been 5 localised dumpings now, low CET, imho we are just waiting for that knockout blow .... if we fail this winter to get a proper nationwide cold spell, then this winter will go down as the one that promised so much but delivered so little.. frustratageddon!

Not sure we have had 2 actually, its a continuation of the same one, i certainly wouldn't rule out that occurrence happening before the end of winter though, first time i have said that in nearly 10 years of strat monitoring.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Not sure we have had 2 actually, its a continuation of the same one, i certainly wouldn't rule out that occurrence happening before the end of winter though, first time i have said that in nearly 10 years of strat monitoring.

It wasn't 2 feb,your correct. It was a secondary warming event of the 1st one...But there are some signals of further warming,perhaps a split later...possibly!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
22 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

No... But it would get you tagged as either a WUM or a troll!

Well if you’re allowed to have nailed on cold, then surely I can have nailed on mild. So here goes:

I think the mild is pretty much nailed today with little chance of cold. ( Let’s see if a bit of reverse psychology works here)

• Like 7

Posted

In the shorter term in terms of snow , late Wednesday into early hours of Thursday.

We have the occlusion moving east se but very slow in its progress , followed behind by some much colder upper air with a lowering freezing level .

This could allow a changeover to some snow as that colder air catches up with the front .

At the moment the highest risk would be the Midlands northwards , more especially with some elevation and away from windward coasts .

The key thing though is the speed of that occlusion , that needs to remain slow to allow for that colder air to catch up .

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
7 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

Well if you’re allowed to have nailed on cold, then surely I can have nailed on mild. So here goes:

I think the mild is pretty much nailed today with little chance of cold. ( Let’s see if a bit of reverse psychology works here)

Logically I think your more right to say nailed on Mild always a vastly easier route to this ...Damn this cold barren island! Grrrrr

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
2 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

You have a point here..If all on here spent there time searching for mild all winter,you can guarantee we would be stuck with cold most of the time.. it seems crazy and assumes the weather as emotions. But like many things in life...sometimes the harder you try or hope for something,the more elusive it becomes. Sometimes you just sit back..relax and say...what will be will be,and hey presto things come together. You can drive yourself crazy with worrying about certain outcomes, whether it be the weather or anything else in life..And it won't change a thing. Look how we all get stressed out over GFS and its 8 runs a day! If all pro forecasters hung there hats on every single run,they would spend all there days chasing their tales! 

If you were to spend more time making your analysis by comparing each run like for like...ie..every 0z each day,or 12z each day,things would be a little clearer.Yet many stress over each and every run,which I suppose can be understandable when your a weather geek. What I would say is save the stress for the 3-5 day output,and don't even fret beyond the 6 day output..volatility is key here,and its nigh on impossible for the model output to give high certainty beyond this time frame. The Atmosphere is far to volatile.. We have a punch drunk Vortex,and no Bartlett High,so its impossible to say we are going to be stuck in a rut of similar conditions..Weak Wstly winds and Jet stream mean we are subject to much change in our conditions.

The point of this story is...dont give up hope,especially in January..Not until the set up becomes more mobile,and that's if it even does.

To be quite honest, I’ve grown so weary at looking at model output this winter, I’ve now given up with it and now just have a quick glimpse in every 2 or 3 days. I’m really not all that bothered about the cold anymore these days, especially with the hindrance snow would cause to the vaccination programme. What I am very concerned about though is the amount of rain that might fall over the coming weeks. Rivers are full to the brim around here and fields are lying under water. I really don’t think it will take much now to cause serious flooding issues. With that in mind, at the moment I think I’d be very happy with a ‘nailed on’ dry, mild Bartlett. In fact I’ll start a new phrase here and call it an ‘oven ready Bartlett’

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
22 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

In the shorter term in terms of snow , late Wednesday into early hours of Thursday.

We have the occlusion moving east se but very slow in its progress , followed behind by some much colder upper air with a lowering freezing level .

This could allow a changeover to some snow as that colder air catches up with the front .

At the moment the highest risk would be the Midlands northwards , more especially with some elevation and away from windward coasts .

The key thing though is the speed of that occlusion , that needs to remain slow to allow for that colder air to catch up .

You have piqued my interest Nick..that is one to watch for sure,if we  can get that feature to slow down we could be looking good. For now my excitement is growing,but not in a nailed on way,or a boom kind of way. But at least something to focus on later this week.

2a82c8241130ecfedaa84c8b9eff1008.gif

• Like 8

Posted
35 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Latest ecm 06z backs up your thoughts!cold air across midlands and wales and the low is further south than the gfs as well!!could be some snow across areas mentioned above even if it is temporary!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

You have piqued my interest Nick..that is one to watch for sure,if we  can get that feature to slow down we could be looking good. For now my excitement is growing,but not in a nailed on way,or a boom kind of way. But at least something to focus on later this week.

2a82c8241130ecfedaa84c8b9eff1008.gif

If you take a look at the fax chart you can see how slow the progress is between the 48 hrs and 60 hrs mark . It’s marginal in terms of snow so best to keep expectations on the low side and the speed of the occlusion might change . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A bit of good news - we are finally out of phase 3 and 4 and into cod with the MJO

It would be good if we could gain some amplitude if we do make it to 6 and 7 next week, however these forecasts haven't been very accurate of late so caution advised.

Got to admit the mid term 5-10 days is looking a bit dull at the moment. There is a colder cluster showing on the GEFS, but nothing to shout about at this stage.

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full (2).gif

combphase_noCFSfull.gif

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e (24).jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Perhaps this has been covered but ECM individual ensembles for Jan 30 - Feb 2 now highly favouring a milder solution for most, with flat run of Atlantic lows straight through the UK on circa 70% of runs. This would limit snow to high ground in the north, I'd think. A fair cluster still prefers the jet further south or more ridging to the west, but less than 30% can be put in this category.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

SSW effects can take weeks to propagate down, in which case it could be February before we really see any effects showing up in the NWP. The second wind reversal has only just happened.

BTW the ECM clusters from the 00z run don't show real zonalty by Day 15 with signals for ridging somewhere to our west in about half the members.

On the 06z ensembles it's mostly only the top handful of runs that offers anything really mild whilst the bottom sector delivers very cold conditions. 

image.thumb.png.d2dad6299d034031a8773fae3018a1c5.png

The game still runs...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1