Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Snow for some, but what else is in store?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Short term as per warnings heavy rain will be the main headline maker Thursday looks a wintry day according to the 06GFS with snow Manchester Northwards with possible blizzard conditions over Scotland.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
19 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Don't search in determistic outputs. See the background signals. Those look promising

And first of all: Don't lose hope, keep the faith. This applies to alot these days, in GB as in GER and the rest of the continent

Sometimes there are things on earth more important then snow in the backyard...

sadly those back ground signal supposed to be good since winter 2019 however so far they have failed to deliver so forgive me if I don’t put all my eggs in the background signals.

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, MKN said:

gfs would be better off only going out to +240. Even that is deep fi atm

I doubt if this is true. The models show consistent the same thing. With of course some variation. The plume (won't show it) is day after day te same. So, instead of uncertainty, it's quite certain what happens in the next ten days in general terms.

ECMAVGEU12_240_22.png

ECMAVGEU00_240_2.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

sadly those back ground signal supposed to be good since winter 2019 however so far they have failed to deliver so forgive me if I don’t put all my eggs in the background signals.

In winter 2020 there were no good backgroundsignals due to the extreme positive IOD.

RMETS.ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

Northern Europe and the UK experienced an exceptionally warm and wet winter in 2019/20, driven by an anomalously positive North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO). This positive NAO was well forecast by several seasonal forecast systems, suggesting that this winter the NAO was highly predictable at seasonal lead times. A very strong positive Indian Ocean dipole (IOD) event was also observed at the start of winter. Here we use composite analysis and model experiments, to show that the IOD was a key driver of the observed positive NAO. Using model experiments that perturb the Indian Ocean initial conditions, two teleconnection pathways of the IOD to the north Atlantic emerge: a tropospheric teleconnection pathway via a Rossby wave train travelling from the Indian Ocean over the Pacific and Atlantic, and a stratospheric teleconnection pathway via the Aleutian region and the stratospheric polar vortex. These pathways are similar to those for the El Niño Southern Oscillation link to the north Atlantic which are already well documented. The anomalies in the north Atlantic jet stream location and strength, and the associated precipitation anomalies over the UK and northern Europe, as simulated by the model IOD experiments, show remarkable agreement with those forecast and observed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
26 minutes ago, MKN said:

Posting +384 charts is completely pointless. They will never verify particularly during winter. gfs would be better off only going out to +240. Even that is deep fi atm

And how often does 240 verify , this is a discussion that's been had for years , its a Model Output Thread so all time frames can be discussed surely?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
1 minute ago, syed2878 said:

Sorry, dude, but this isn't the moan thread. Synoptics is the prediction of an outcome, not the hope for an special outcome. That's the game! If hope on a certain weather pattern is your goal, than mid-to-long-term synoptics is maybe the wrong hobby to do.

For me, every thrilling synoptic outlook is favourable. Let it be heavy rain, strong storms in autum, snowfalls, winter thunderstorms or even blizzards, heat waves in summer and their dramatic ends with huge MSC systems. As long as it isn't boring for ages I am fine with any weather pattern.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
9 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

I doubt if this is true. The models show consistent the same thing. With of course some variation. The plume (won't show it) is day after day te same. So, instead of uncertainty, it's quite certain what happens in the next ten days in general terms.

ECMAVGEU12_240_22.png

ECMAVGEU00_240_2.png

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, if this morning's 06Z is right, it's looking ever more likely, that we've missed our chance of any deep, meaningful cold . . . at least for now?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, KTtom said:

I make it 8 if you want to split hairs  Prior to that its dry after this weeks deluge (check feb1991blizzard post).

Sad times when you quote yourself  But to add to this mornings ECM, GFS also, just at day 7, absolutely no sign of lows tracking south...someone has this spectacularly wrong because models seem to be in a bit of agreement in this set-up. 

GFSOPEU06_192_1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
6 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Well, if this morning's 06Z is right, it's looking ever more likely, that we've missed our chance of any deep, meaningful cold . . . at least for now?

Theres loads of deep meaningful cold on those charts.... unlike most years.... its just locked up just north of us.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, KTtom said:

Sad times when you quote yourself  But to add to this mornings ECM, GFS also, just at day 7, absolutely no sign of lows tracking south...someone has this spectacularly wrong because models seem to be in a bit of agreement in this set-up. 

GFSOPEU06_192_1.png

You ignored the GFS 0z Run thou, and it will no doubt change again by the 12z.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

just incase of any interest curtious of the 06GFS

C.S

20210118_102239.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, KTtom said:

GFSOPEU06_192_1.png

image.thumb.png.7d23e217111843be63df7eda4880e5e4.png

Isn't that one over the IOW ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
4 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

just incase of any interest curtious of the 06GFS

C.S

20210118_102239.jpg

Def need elevation south of the wall, but prospects for Scotland and places with hills and mountains should see some action and I suspect a warning will come:

150-780UK.thumb.gif.f23dfd85b43689de1b355dc6cd17e57f.gif150-526UK.thumb.gif.0ef9d06e407643bf18a4b1264b932702.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

The Control has this for Saturday

image.thumb.png.ca1eb7e011d9a91b0e03eebe71e299c9.png

,,,,,and then Sunday  

image.thumb.png.062f6a68da58ca6b2b23cf93d8dc8daa.png

image.thumb.png.ce55208f5d010a10928af07f025d6177.png

Edited by stratty
  • Like 9

Posted
20 minutes ago, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.7d23e217111843be63df7eda4880e5e4.png

Isn't that one over the IOW ?

If you follow the thread, were talking about next week. Im not saying it wont change back again, and i havent disscounted the 00z either, but this is more current. Its not moaning its what the most recent model runs show!

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

There's loads of deep meaningful cold on those charts.... unlike most years.... its just locked up just north of us.

Whilst true it doesn't matter for us unfortunately because the models are increasingly bullish on high pressure over Spain and for the southern half of the UK its pretty much game over once that becomes established. Ultimately this will change our cold rain to warm rain!

Entropy seems quite low at the moment as well. When I looked through the day 10 GEFS earlier 29 of the 30 had the Iberian heights as a key feature. Given that it also tends to run with our usual climatology it becomes a hard signal to ignore. When I refer to entropy I'm looking more at the big picture in our part of the world because detail within the envelope of possibilities changes all the time. 

Its been a winter of pretty looking (albeit not very cold) charts at day ten but in reality at no stage has a significant cold spell ever been likely and that remains the case.

Interesting though how within days of the SSW occurring the output has settled quickly. The SSW has the reputation of introducing chaos but oddly this one seems to have had the opposite impact with most of the output agreeing on the overall pattern. I'm sure others will disagree on this which is fine, but for me we are looking south now rather than north as for the UK everything hinges on getting rid of those heights over Spain.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
29 minutes ago, stratty said:

The Control has this for Saturday

image.thumb.png.ca1eb7e011d9a91b0e03eebe71e299c9.png

,,,,,and then Sunday  

image.thumb.png.062f6a68da58ca6b2b23cf93d8dc8daa.png

image.thumb.png.ce55208f5d010a10928af07f025d6177.png

Would be amazing, but think control has Saturdays slider too far north, most of these move south and end up in France

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Day 10, and nary a sign of our seeing and deep, meaningful cold, any time soon . . . maybe time to add 'nailed on' to the swear filter?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 6

Posted

Unfortunately- the average is of GFS6u 240H ain't better (won't show this)

15 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Interesting though how within days of the SSW occurring the output has settled quickly. The SSW has the reputation of introducing chaos but oddly this one seems to have had the opposite impact with most of the output agreeing on the overall pattern. I'm sure others will disagree on this which is fine, but for me we are looking south now rather than north as for the UK everything hinges on getting rid of those heights over Spain.

This was quite soon clear, the vortex of this SSW displacement was placed in the Atlantic Ocean. In this case, chaos was limited. Further on, I suppose the models are quite good nowadays in dealing with the SSW.

Edited by sebastiaan1973
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
9 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Its been a winter of pretty looking (albeit not very cold) charts at day ten but in reality at no stage has a significant cold spell ever been likely and that remains the case.

I disagree with that line though... it has been so far a frustrating year as the potential is and has been great. We have been on the brink for a month now, but the final peice of the jigsaw has so far eluded us.
And according to the hadley centres CET, this january so far has been the second coldest since 1987 ..

But so far we are the Lena Valatis of winters, She came second 40 years ago in the Eurovision Song Contest... Behind Bucks Fizz... we all remember the winner but not the runner up.

• Like 7