Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

ECM Conclusion: Pattern too far West. I fully agree with @sebastiaan1973 and @Mike Poole.

I see some calling boom on +168, but the 850hPa Temp chart (below) shows where the cold is going: spilling out towards Iceland. So Iceland is where you need to be, or a ship on the North Atlantic. Southern half of the UK is probably not going to be happy with this setup.

The real interest at the moment IMO, apart from the next few days, is the movement of the Arctic High, moving towards Russia, extending towards Nova Zembla and possibly Scandinavia, visible at +240h.

EC850-168 12jan12.png

EC-240 12jan12.png

• Like 7

Again looking like we need to be patient. I think it’s clear that we aren’t seeing any deep cold to tap into again. Plenty of booms going on in here tonight, which is all well and good if you want a chilly wintery period. However, those of us who are more interested in a proper cold spell, i.e snow at all levels that actually sticks around, a dissapointing outlook.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
13 minutes ago, Gadje said:

Thanks for the UK map. I wonder what people living north of the UK are getting regards weather.

Please feel free to post a map showing such ! 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

ECM Conclusion: Pattern too far West. I fully agree with @sebastiaan1973 and @Mike Poole.

I see some calling boom on +168, but the 850hPa Temp chart (below) shows where the cold is going: spilling out towards Iceland. So Iceland is where you need to be, or a ship on the North Atlantic. Southern half of the UK is probably not going to be happy with this setup.

The real interest at the moment IMO, apart from the next few days, is the movement of the Arctic High, moving towards Russia, extending towards Nova Zembla and possibly Scandinavia, visible at +240h.

EC850-168 12jan12.png

EC-240 12jan12.png

Tonight's 168 ecm may not be a boom but in terms of an overall pattern it is very good and we would be unfortunate to see such poor 850s. Small tweaks would see big improvements for our little island. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, jayb1989 said:

Again looking like we need to be patient. I think it’s clear that we aren’t seeing any deep cold to tap into again. Plenty of booms going on in here tonight, which is all well and good if you want a chilly wintery period. However, those of us who are more interested in a proper cold spell, i.e snow at all levels that actually sticks around, a dissapointing outlook.

Aye, but more like 28th to 2nd Jan hopefully! uppers can be higher, decent snow here, and not like the crap 3-6 Jan period where uppers needed to be -10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

We have been struggling to get cold uppers post-GH due to the trough being cut-off by the Arctic High, so the Uk is basically sitting in a giant cut-off low.

InkedECH1-168.thumb.gif.4ff5b909a98f52708f1a9c48beaec3a8.gif

The tPV has been kept from sliding into the Scandi region by the motion of the Arctic high and we can only feed off the scraps of cold uppers as they ebb and flow within and around the cut-off low. It has been an annoying feature of this winter so far and maybe some underlying background signal that will eventually come to light.

So from d6-d9 we rely on the cold within the low as it circulates the smaller features within. By d10 the GH relaxes and we maybe will get a nascent northerly? Whether that again gets cut off before it can deliver the good we will see, though at d10 that ecm chart is unlikely to land!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
28 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

It’s funny this obsession with a West based NAO. I’d rather see a West based NAO than a big +NAO

Also, if the West Based NAO is a very large one, it could still extend its influence and land us with some very cold weather and will drive the jet stream way south. 

I agree, EES: if we get LPs running along or near the South Coast, long-fetch dry, cold undercuts, from the nearby snow-covered continent, will be perfectly conducive to snowfalls. I guess it's just that 'things' don't often fall into place, these days?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
2 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

Puddles or snowmen? That’s going to be the million dollar question for most I expect in the next few weeks! High risk but high reward and a lot more exciting than anything we have had for years! ⛄??‍♂️

C679164E-6619-478D-8D83-4063376EC008.png

8EF7E905-7824-4362-8DDA-3843109225FD.png

I think this pretty much sums up the mid term output perfectly. The only thing I would add is that the snowmen will  deffo be built (and we will see the pics in the regionals) it just depends if that's north of the M4 or not

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

People worrying too much about the 850s etc at the moment, let's just get the high into Greenland set first and then worry about the rest. Because without the high into Greenland we aren't even in the game.

So overall I'm more than happy after that ECM run!!

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, MKN said:

Tonight's 168 ecm may not be a boom but in terms of an overall pattern it is very good and we would be unfortunate to see such poor 850s. Small tweaks would see big improvements for our little island. 

It is perfectly fine   the cut of low  looks like its resolved  ( maybe)  and it will get colder   we will see many options churned out  which many will be different to the ec 12z  some better some worse    all good model viewing none the less 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The issue we're seeing is that we're seeing phasing of the Atlantic LP and trough to our NE happen too far west. This then scoops any upper cold out of Europe with the main thrust of Arctic air heading into the Atlantic to our NW. 

It's just not good enough. All we will end up with is a slushy, marginal mess. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Taking a look at the gefs mean at day ten and i will side with it the ECM mean later but what a cracking mean with a closed off GHP with southerly tracking jet and troughs/lows running west>east underneath,this spells battleground scenarios at it's finest providing that it will work out like that

gensnh-31-1-240.thumb.png.9d5ef1c5bb8aad0bda34cb11cb44ebd4.pnggensnh-31-5-240.thumb.png.831edd68293007c6ee88d7c5fdcb12a2.png

in motion from 192>384.

anim_yso5.thumb.gif.2867cc5be676b4d98423701b3a2116c9.gifanim_uwp6.thumb.gif.c75b7eb8ef22cc64034f280df8e65403.gif

gefs ens and dew points(my local)

graphe3_10000_267_29___.thumb.png.ae91258b57fa7e9b61bce50f3a68c62d.pngUntitled.thumb.png.bb17b2893a5b5b047060bf8293d2d985.png

although not overly cold but these would be subject to change nearer the time and hopefully colder☺️

• Like 9

Posted
37 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Essentially to get proper deep cold in the  south, we usually require the winds to be curved around an area of high pressure (such as a scandy high) so that the winds have as little sea track as possible. 

These deep low pressures that move across us and take an age to fill just waste time down here. 

Back on track - phasing of the lows is going the right way for coldies. I don't think it will matter though. That might be a IMBY comment .

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
6 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I dont think current charts are far off where we might be. 

My own thimking was greenie high backing west to west based - NAO i just expected far deeper cold to be in the mix.

The set up isnt great on the south coast but exciting midlands north as its set up for several high impact snow events 

From an imby point of view im quite happy with the winter so far

As always a balanced view and totally agree with that

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
7 minutes ago, MKN said:

Well, that's the thing, I don't think that the pattern as shown now is very good. It pleases the eyes, with yellows in Greenland, but the location and size is not good for us. It takes more than a few tweaks to get it right.
The cold is sent Southwest too far to the West. Not just in this ECM run, but actually all models and ensembles support this.
ATM I don't expect it to be corrected much to the East. (I hope so I'm wrong about that!)

Don't get me wrong, this pattern will result in below average temperatures and falling snow, but will that snow last during the day? Will this spell be longer than a few days? With this setup I doubt it, and I just think that's such a pity with a troposhere messed up like it is now.

• Like 2