Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

After a very cold start (-2.9) in Locksbottom it has been another proper winters day and we maxed out at 3.3 here.Temperature at 6.15pm is 0.4.

Shame it’s going to get wetter and milder from tomorrow but weekend could hold a bit of interest for us but that still a long way off as volatility still rules in the models.Yes I hope PS stays with us on this thread as I have enjoyed his posts this winter.I really feel at some stage in February we will get an Easterly and then yours and a lot of other snow shields will be in trouble lol❄️☃️

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, RJM said:

Like all seas they are absorbing the heat of the global 1 to 1.5C rise and likely won't get down  to the minima of decades ago. Pattern for the extreme SE is late Feb / early March snow when the channel and in particular N Sea are maybe just low enough in temperature. Although they will slowly get warmer so as Paul Sherman said earlier, colder winters become rarer over time. And summers hotter too if that's your thing!

I haven't seen the latest readings but I believe the early-Jan streamer was ruined by SSTs being 2˚c higher than normal in the Southern North Sea - of course a warmer sea is what we'd expect with Global Warming, but I get the impression they're particuarly high even within that context. Will have to wait and see if things improve next month.

Hotter summers? A minimum of 20cms of snow on the ground for several weeks so I can use my snowboard is my thing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I won't be posting as much untill Spring here, taking a mini break but will still post occasionally. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Hmmm, ECM at it again for southern counties.  A slush fest 2 weekends on the trot?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Just scraped 2c here, sunny all day, a perfect winters day.

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Oh man.. We can't be going on another 6 day chase again so soon... 

Or can we? 

Start the car ....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
2 hours ago, lawrenk said:

With the -15 line slicing through the heart of the SE if that only delivers rain or sleet it really will be time to throw the towel in.

There's bound to be a bloody warm sector that develops, like yesterday

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
4 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Front of todays Express has a young girl throwing a snowball in Chislehurst, Kent but looking at the map surely they didn't get any? can anybody confirm this?

EskLHhqWMAE0350.jpg

That's way off for st neots too, 7/8cm at the max last night when that suggests about 3.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Below, is a Video clip of MeteoGroup's extended Forecast, courtesy of some "Beatnik" called Tomasz Schafernaker: 

Weather for the Week Ahead - BBC Weather

Apologies, from one Tom to another. I'm just jealous Tomasz, I wish my Barnet was still that thick!!

MeteoGroup, going for the Atlantic to eventually win out? 

Regards,

Tom.  

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

Anyone else seen the big halo round the moon tonight? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Can anyone tell me why after a lovely cold day with a lot of snow about the temp has struggled to fall this evening in wgc. With all the lying snow i would have thought it would have dropped like a stone. Just now it was barely -1degrees? 

Posted
17 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Can anyone tell me why after a lovely cold day with a lot of snow about the temp has struggled to fall this evening in wgc. With all the lying snow i would have thought it would have dropped like a stone. Just now it was barely -1degrees? 

It's been quite breezy today, and I suspect that is helping to keep the air mixed for the time being. The wind should gradually ease through the night, so temperatures may drop quicker later.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Evening 

it’s a very cold evening here In Farnham, Surrey! Been gorgeous blue skies and still snow on the ground in places! 

temp -2.1 ⬇️

dp -2.8 

brrrrr!

forecast is 1 degree at the moment so a lot colder than forecasts 

Edited by paget
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
18 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

It's been quite breezy today, and I suspect that is helping to keep the air mixed for the time being. The wind should gradually ease through the night, so temperatures may drop quicker later.

Thanks staplehurst, i have noticed this before when you would think the temp would fall drastically only to find it is barely below zero. The complexities of the atmosphere...

Posted
57 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

used to remember someone saying it meant storms at sea, and change of weather inland. bit like 'red sky at night....' saying

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme....more snow the better

I'm sure everyone has got a different story to tell but imby this seems like the coldest winter we've had in a long time, we've  got February and march still to come which in recent years is when the fun has begun, it feels a bit like the 70's & 80's when it was the norm.hope everyone who has missed out thus far gets a big slice of pie before spring and if that means I get no more I'll be happy with what I've had and happy  for you. Good luck

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
1 hour ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Caused by falling ice crystals

• Like 2