Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
7 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

its definitely not the first time those models have over played the snow - I’ve seen them do it many times before! Old news. I think the GFS needs credit where credit is due as it has generally got today spot on, and has done quite often when it comes to precip/snow over the seasons. I generally believe the GFS more than others for this reason.  All the charts have their moments but certainly NEVER take the Euro4/Harmonie snow forecast literally! 

Today was always going to be on a knife edge and unlikely to be decent with the warm front rattling through like that and mild uppers on its tail, it didn’t take me by surprise at all. I knew the likes of the meto/beeb were over-egging the potential big time. 

It exceed my expectations. But only because i hiked up the hills at 5.30 am. My home location got zip plus a deluge of rain.

Posted

Some nice photos - really was a transient event nothing more - to get a decent event in SE we just need different Synoptics - channel lows are just too rare so Thames / Kent streamers are the only Synoptics I get interested in 

there’s some great photos in the Yorkshire thread - they certainly had a decent event I just find the snidey SE remarks boring 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
48 minutes ago, Binsey72 said:

So when is the next bit of snow excitement? Can’t see anything before Friday at least 

Probably next winter...and I wouldn't hang my hat on that as this season has been so non-Atlantic influenced, and by snow excitement do you mean marginality slush fest? as a vast amount of 'events' since 2013 have been just that.

• Like 1

Posted

snow now finished and no rain to follow so will probably stick around to become a lovely slushy sloppy mess, but was nice to actually get some for a change 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The sun is trying to come out here now. A lot of low cloud but that should break up now we are in an Atlantic airmass.

Posted

I woke up at 6am to heavy wet snow falling but not settling, it soon turned to heavy rain and windy for a while. Finding local places to walk that are not a mud-fest is getting more difficult as water from the weeks of rain doesn't have sufficient time to drain away, meaning more folk out pavement walking and jogging resulting in endless diversions onto the road for the fabled 2m social distancing. I may sound a little down....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Changed to rain here hours ago, started as snow that landed on cars and probably tops of hills around here. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Maidstone marginal said:

Whitfield 

More than likely, I haven't been reading, wouldn't surprise me, if somehow it stayed as snow up there lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

I was listening to smooth radio in the car this morning and the woman was saying how this Jan will be the coldest Jan since 1963! .. Really??

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Maidstone marginal said:

Even places  well inland with low altitude did badly. I bet hawkinge and capel le ferne got some

In fact, hawkinge is the most snow prone place in east kent. The number of times hawkinge had thick covering but meanwhile folkestone got cold rain 3 miles away 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
6 minutes ago, Mr_Pessimistic said:

Yes, 3 inches, measured. Those pics show 2" or so after and hour of rain

Thanks mr optimistic

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

I was listening to smooth radio in the car this morning and the woman was saying how this Jan will be the coldest Jan since 1963! .. Really??

I have very vivid memories of 63  and needless to say this January feels like summer by comparison.  But we are talking since, and whilst we've probably had much colder spells in previous winters those may not have come first half of January. So far this month the average daily temperature around here has hovered consistently close to or below freezing for pretty much the whole time, so in that respect that claim

would come as no great surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

I would be staggered if thats the case tbh

At this stage just to dry out would love to have a UK High for a few weeks or dare I say it Uncle Bartlett to stay

• Like 2

Posted

It's still only 4 degrees here, though it was meant to warm up.

Never mind, I still have south winds, today we warm up from the north west. Weird weather.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

January 1979 CET came in at -0.4c so if we beat that then we are doing very very well I would imagine

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

January 1979 CET came in at -0.4c so if we beat that then we are doing very very well I would imagine

What's the CET so far for Jan? 

Maybe she has inside info that the second half of Jan will turn extra cold?‍♂️