Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

February 1956 would be the dream for all of us in the SE.

Bitter cold that lasted throughout the month with a CET of -0.2°C with -3.9°C at Margate and -5°C at Manston for maximums on the first day of the month with the cold lasting throughout. An average temperature of -3°C at Margate for the first 4 days of the month with a daily CET mean of -6.7°C for the first 4 days. Manston & Margate both ended up with a monthly average temp of 0.5°C.

Potty amount of cold that will never be seen again in our lifetimes.

image.thumb.png.ea85766f920e06cb80c5bfbb7fe180d1.png image.thumb.png.7ef58424358101d1d33de8c6d4cacc78.png 

Good British Pathe videoreel here:

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, lawrenk said:

That Francis Wilson bit where he pauses and then says “.... it’s all downhill from here”. Priceless!

I remember many years ago when Francis Wilson was the only one forecasting snow for London. The following day there was settled snow and Sky quickly made him a lucrative off to join their weather team.

Edited by yamkin
  • Thanks 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, starstream said:

Seriously? Mr Murr has been banned?

permanently ? 
what’s his Twitter name? Cos there isn’t a lot of point being on here without his insights

If you were to do the following search: 'steve murr, New Ash Green Kent, twitter', the second one down looks promising

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Absolutely bizarre clouds hovering over my house at the moment. They look like some sort of cirrus but the way they cave in makes it look like some sort of spaceship.

P1010575.thumb.JPG.b8eedcc1e45ad072c14d9f4a3b6d34a7.JPG   P1010576.thumb.JPG.1376985b8180161ef363cfd97ed8b914.JPG   P1010582.thumb.JPG.075a8509cdb25bb8583b8155203d3f9a.JPG

I took this photo too of what looks like some distant fog, but I don't know where to put it, so in this post it goes!

P1010581.thumb.JPG.8fb0dce4d0208b9ba48a2cfaebb77f29.JPG

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, yamkin said:

What was Steve M banned for? Need the facts before launching some sort of petition

He was banned for use of disgraceful and out of order language. It wasn't just over 'the line' it was so far over the line he was out of sight over the horizon. Mods took the post down within seconds but they literally had no choice but to ban. It was a complete meltdown. Don't know whether its permanent or not and mods won't be able to tell us but having seen the two messages in question (very briefly!!) I can assure you it wasn't a harsh decision. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

Well, even though Twitter is imploding , I’ll still find out if Mr Murr is confident of snow or no!

cheers @yamkin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well if he’s gone, that’s a tremendous shame, so we need Sir Nick of Sussex and Mr Murr to team up, and we can leave the Mod thread to. the Scott and Kasim show.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Well, even my posts in here have disappeared, apologies to admins if I overstepped the mark, what's the chances of the snow moving a bit further south overnight into thursday, I suppose it needs the cold air to undercut faster

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason M said:

He was banned for use of disgraceful and out of order language. It wasn't just over 'the line' it was so far over the line he was out of sight over the horizon. Mods took the post down within seconds but they literally had no choice but to ban. It was a complete meltdown. Don't know whether its permanent or not and mods won't be able to tell us but having seen the two messages in question (very briefly!!) I can assure you it wasn't a harsh decision. 

This is not like Steve M to use such disgraceful language. Something here does not sound right.

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Well, even my posts in here have disappeared, apologies to admins if I overstepped the mark, what's the chances of the snow moving a bit further south overnight into thursday, I suppose it needs the cold air to undercut faster

This will make you laugh. I joined Netweather around the time it was launched and even then the MAD Thread got really heated most times! I even got suspended for a few weeks and got reinstated. Till this day, the MODS have still got the strikes showing in my profile

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
Just now, yamkin said:

This is not like Steve M to use such disgraceful language. Something here does not sound right.

Said the same in the mod thread, not model related, so it got taken down, but I've been on here a few years, not a serial poster, but I do read through the forums, never known him to lose his rag, but that mod thread lately is enough to push any person over the edge, every other chart is a BOOM chart or cherry picked to show stuff at t300, we all know it will never verify, anyway, let's hope his knowledge will be back, and let's hope us south easterners get a massive dollop of the good stuff soon

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, yamkin said:

He was poked to be completely fair but it was nothing major and certainly nothing to warrant the reaction. That said I think best to leave there as it’s a difficult time for all of us at the moment with everything going on and who knows what stresses and strains people are under. As I said though, the mods could literally not have done anything else.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jason M said:

He was poked to be completely fair but it was nothing major and certainly nothing to warrant the reaction. That said I think best to leave there as it’s a difficult time for all of us at the moment with everything going on and who knows what stresses and strains people are under. As I said though, the mods could literally not have done anything else.

Quite, we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and he had already said some time before he was spending time with family.

if anyone is in direct contact, please pass on he’s missed already.

he was always accurate and honest regarding weather chances.

if he’s gone elsewhere it would be worthwhile knowing where.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
1 hour ago, yamkin said:

This will make you laugh. I joined Netweather around the time it was launched and even then the MAD Thread got really heated most times! I even got suspended for a few weeks and got reinstated. Till this day, the MODS have still got the strikes showing in my profile

Could be worse, at least you didn't have your post edited by a moderator and words were put in that I never said.. I still hate that mod to this day! (The mod is still active)

I like this thread though it's generally calm and fits the purpose, moaning or happiness :D

• Like 6

Posted

Oh I have missed it all again. Sounds like the original snow watch the BBC used to do in the early days of the Internet. Some of those fights and spats were legendary. Did it happen on the latest Mod thread??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
5 hours ago, Jason M said:

I missed that, so Steve isn’t on here now? 

Posted

Still sounds like mostly rain for us up to and including the weekend with the best chance for any snow tomorrow afternoon. Not sure it will amount to much but the chance is there. This is from the east of England overnight met office update so I'm not sure how far south the risk extends.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

That Drizzle this morning that goes right through you. Bring back the frost!

Posted

Just glanced at the MOD thread. Wish I hadn't . Talk of big downgrades to cold prospects and the ensembles moving away from cold. I left quickly...

That would be typical though, just as the met office outlook starts mentioning the chance of cold and snow next week the models move away from it. Be interesting to see if the outlook changes again today.

Edited by snowblind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
6 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Just glanced at the MOD thread. Wish I hadn't . Talk of big downgrades to cold prospects and the ensembles moving away from cold. I left quickly...

That would be typical though, just as the met office outlook starts mentioning the chance of cold and snow next week the models move away from it. Be interesting to see if the outlook changes again today.

I wouldn’t dream of saying this in the main thread but I suspect the MO have access to superior tools than the public models that we see, so on balance I’d back them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

If things don't work out for next week, I just hope at some point later on we can finally get a proper shot from the east from a Scandi high. Not all of this wishy washy stuff from the north relying on what goes on in the Atlantic/Greenland area.

Get a proper strong Scandi high and just forget about the Atlantic, anything involving the Atlantic generally just spells bad news for us here in the SE & EA. 

In the meantime let's hope for a few surprises tomorrow afternoon/evening!

• Like 2

Posted

thats the thing the METO long range update have stressed low signal - i agree the wording of these updates are a tad shambolic as they tend to cover all basis - but they are still number one met with computering power/ expertise far bigger than NW MOD thread and the key word for me was low confidence.

We see , might be a wobble or new trend but again those in MOD thread know better than to chase down synoptics that are more than 72 hours away let along 240 that has been the case last week or so

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Ecm 0z

Has snow for thursday and Saturday London 

Any charts to support this? Can’t see us in east Kent getting anything sadly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
4 minutes ago, Ben Capee McInnes said:

Any charts to support this? Can’t see us in east Kent getting anything sadly!

Home and Dry uses UKV for its forecasting and there's certainly a sleet fest for Saturday

image.thumb.png.67f80bfa74bf48f3f15454ac38b5c885.png

I don't trust it but it's certainly interesting to see.