Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, SNOWING35 said:

It is nice to have sunshine but frosty nights as looks likely over the next few days. Not a fan of the very mild temps this week its abnormal and crazy, only in the UK is 18 degrees likely in feb !!. Still hoping for one last cold, snowy blast next month though.

Nonsense. We've had very mild February days in the past, even following on from a cold spell. Late Feb 1987, achieved a 16-18c day, towards the end of the month. 1980 had a few days into the mid teens, although it was mostly dull. And who's to say we won't get more cold weather, especially after the winter we just had.

I for one, wouldn't mind if it stays warmer from here on in. Another chilly snap would be ok, but not so keen on another 2013. I'm done with the cold weather by March.

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

Is it really ? Is it that far from the mean compared to the cold period we have just had? Plenty of years with spring like days at the end of February. Has been even warmer in France for the last few days, so just normal spring variations. We are only 4 weeks from the Equinox which means the sun strength is the equivalent to late October.

Eh ? What pollen is floating around at the moment ?

I know one person who has it, but I don't suffer from hay fever until April at the earliest. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Remarkable how conditions have been so different across C Europe. Apart from the 3.5 week colder spell here, it’s been mainly quite mild. Am looking forward to spring too, and the longer days. Winter isn’t my favourite season but it’s more bearable here than it was in London.

Yeah, I'm so gutted we  couldn't go to Latvia for our usual Late december early january family visit. The winter over there had some very low daytime temps, with a minus 15 to minus 20 on several occasions, and some heavy snowfall. January ans early feb, and even before christmas was very cold.

I still feel we had a good mix of everything this year, and more cold frosty sunny days. Christmas 2020 in london was the coldest for many years. The perfect cold frosty variety. Our studio flat was very cold and hard to heat. That's been a regular theme with this recent winter.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, chapmanslade said:

Is it really ? Is it that far from the mean compared to the cold period we have just had? Plenty of years with spring like days at the end of February. Has been even warmer in France for the last few days, so just normal spring variations. We are only 4 weeks from the Equinox which means the sun strength is the equivalent to late October.

It's tree pollen now. I start to notice it in February.  Main suffering for me is June grass pollen season. I can usually enjoy summer from mid /late July when it's gone. And my sense of smell comes back!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The sun is out today and it feels more like late March than late February.  When this happens, it is usually a calm before the storm and there's still plenty of time yet for another wintery blast. Just like late August often has a period of autumnal weather and September ends up being more summery until the equinox.

Posted
1 hour ago, chapmanslade said:

I know a few people with symptoms in the last week or so.  Nothing major for myself but definitely sniffly at times and itchy eyes.  Probably tree pollen as others have mentioned.  Didn’t used to get hay fever until late May at the earliest!

Edited by Don

Posted
58 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Nonsense. We've had very mild February days in the past, even following on from a cold spell. 

We have, but they do seem to be getting more frequent which is no surprise given climate change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
42 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It's tree pollen now. I start to notice it in February.  Main suffering for me is June grass pollen season. I can usually enjoy summer from mid /late July when it's gone. And my sense of smell comes back!

July/August for me, when it's wet, okay on dry and hot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
3 hours ago, Don said:

We have, but they do seem to be getting more frequent which is no surprise given climate change.

I wish some of this climate change warmth would make it's way to the coast, always miss out on early warmth.

Edited by Freeze

Posted
5 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I wish some of this climate change warmth would make it's way to the coast, always miss out on early warmth.

Move to London then

Posted
15 minutes ago, Don said:

Move to London then

As much as I like warmth, I couldn't ever live in london would miss the coast too much! Can't go to the beach in london

Posted
Just now, Freeze said:

As much as I like warmth, I couldn't ever live in london would miss the coast too much! Can't go to the beach in london

There’s Tower beach, what more do you want?!

Posted
Just now, Don said:

There’s Tower beach, what more do you want?!

Less people lol

Posted
32 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Less people lol

I agree. I'm speaking as a Londoner. Once the nice weather arrives, I always long to be in the countryside or near the coast. But, can imagine winter being quite bleak at the coast. Still, that's the trade off right? Fresher air, and more laid back pace of life.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I agree. I'm speaking as a Londoner. Once the nice weather arrives, I always long to be in the countryside or near the coast. But, can imagine winter being quite bleak at the coast. Still, that's the trade off right? Fresher air, and more laid back pace of life.

It's bleak yes but the only difference really is that it's windier and less cold especially minimum temps. But certainly cleaner, fresher air year round.

Posted
1 hour ago, Freeze said:

It's bleak yes but the only difference really is that it's windier and less cold especially minimum temps. But certainly cleaner, fresher air year round.

I like variety in my weather, and coastal regions certainly good place to live if you like rapid changes in conditions.

I like cold in winter and warmth in summer but not too hot. I'm used to rain but would prefer something less wet in winter especially. My ideal UK climate might well be west or south Yorkshire. Drier than here, slightly higher chance of snow and more protected from westerlies. Peak District weather appeals as well.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

I like variety in my weather, and coastal regions certainly good place to live if you like rapid changes in conditions.

I like cold in winter and warmth in summer but not too hot. I'm used to rain but would prefer something less wet in winter especially. My ideal UK climate might well be west or south Yorkshire. Drier than here, slightly higher chance of snow and more protected from westerlies. Peak District weather appeals as well.

I love the variety in my weather here too on my part of the coast, I admit I do moan sometimes about it but I'd never trade it for anywhere else. Not so much the cold in winter but absolutely love the spring and summers here especially the sunshine hours, quite fortunate really compared to other areas. Also it's usually comfortable heat in summer as there's always a breeze and don't go over 30c that often.

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 1

Posted

This seems bittersweet - climate change bad, but cold winters for us snow lovers?

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F
WWW.THETIMES.CO.UK

A key ocean current that helps to keep Britain’s weather mild is at its weakest in a millennium, a study has found.Scientists warned that its continued slowing, which has been linked to climate change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
On 25/02/2021 at 09:58, Don said:

Indeed it is.  I have felt my hayfever trying to come on the last few days!  Need another cold push before spring really kicks in!

Funny enough last week I felt I had a cold coming on but out of an abundance of caution went to have a Covid test - which was negative.  I got Covid at the back end of last March in a mild form and actually felt pretty good after it.  And I couldn't remember having a cold since.   This was a bit of a temperature and a slight "head cold" feeling.  It disappeared at the weekend but came back again during this week and with a streaming nose to boot for a little while.  I still think it's just a cold but my sister, a former nurse, suggested it might be hay fever because it went and came back.  I've never considered myself prone to hayfever before so perhaps there is something to that.  But I have always thought people who suffered from it had blocked noses.  I honestly cannot remember the last time my nose was too blocked to breath through it, which funnily enough was something I used to get a lot with or without a cold or hay fever!  I still think I've got a bit of a common or garden cold that is struggling to reach its natural end, but seeing your comments about hayfever did get me thinking.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Funny enough last week I felt I had a cold coming on but out of an abundance of caution went to have a Covid test - which was negative.  I got Covid at the back end of last March in a mild form and actually felt pretty good after it.  And I couldn't remember having a cold since.   This was a bit of a temperature and a slight "head cold" feeling.  It disappeared at the weekend but came back again during this week and with a streaming nose to boot for a little while.  I still think it's just a cold but my sister, a former nurse, suggested it might be hay fever because it went and came back.  I've never considered myself prone to hayfever before so perhaps there is something to that.  But I have always thought people who suffered from it had blocked noses.  I honestly cannot remember the last time my nose was too blocked to breath through it, which funnily enough was something I used to get a lot with or without a cold or hay fever!  I still think I've got a bit of a common or garden cold that is struggling to reach its natural end, but seeing your comments about hayfever did get me thinking.

I have hayfever and let me tell you my nose is never blocked, but runs like a tap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
7 hours ago, qwertyK said:

This seems bittersweet - climate change bad, but cold winters for us snow lovers?

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F
WWW.THETIMES.CO.UK

A key ocean current that helps to keep Britain’s weather mild is at its weakest in a millennium, a study has found.Scientists warned that its continued slowing, which has been linked to climate change

Previous research has shown that since 1960 its flow has dropped by 15 per cent. Now a paper published in the journal Nature Geoscience has confirmed that that fall started in the mid 1800s, and that the present strength of the current is at its lowest in 1,000 years.

Based on what's happened in the last 250 plus years of a declining flow, I would not be convinced that winters are going to get colder!!

The science of Climate Change is in the collated statistics of what has happened.  I find there to be very little validated science in many predictions that are made regarding what will happen as a result of Climate Change 

Edited by Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Not terribly inspiring on the medium-term outlook, especially the forecast of the winds turning to the east later on. Even if it gets a bit colder it's not something I really welcome. Aside from murky drizzle, I can't think of much I want less from March than a pointless dry easterly that's constantly cloudy, probably not cold enough for snow and unlikely to deliver anything this far west anyway. A March 2013 would be worth it, sure but days on end of 5 °C, gloom and a nagging cold wind? No way. Today's sunny 10 °C is astronomically preferable for me personally.

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 2