Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

snowdepth_20210204_00_240.thumb.jpg.95f7

Blimey, if these numbers are even close, Norfolk will come to a standstill.

So pretty much normal.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, Mr_Pessimistic said:

Thats what happened here in Suffolk in 2010, got 1cm when everywhere else got pasted. I expect the same thing to happen again, it'll continue to move south leaving Suffolk in the dry zone. 

You need to cheer up my friend...

• Like 9

Posted

Seems to be more of a south / south east event unless I’m reading it all incorrectly ?

my area 65 miles inland from the wash ( North Nottinghamshire)seems to be in the verge of missing out on any snow ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, tyson99 said:

Seems to be more of a south / south east event unless I’m reading it all incorrectly ?

my area 65 miles inland from the wash ( North Nottinghamshire)seems to be in the verge of missing out on any snow ?

I’ll run naked through the streets of Lourdes if you miss out on the snow ! 

Keep the faith , you’ll be fine there .

• Like 3

Posted

At the moment the midlands and east anglia look a bullseye for snow for sunday into monday!!further north its all about the convective thundersnow from the north sea!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

At the moment the midlands and east anglia look a bullseye for snow for sunday into monday!!further north its all about the convective thundersnow from the north sea!!!

Exactly.  And the convective stuff can give more than hours of frontal snow! Great chances for snow lovers over a wide area of the UK currently.  Exciting times!!

• Thanks 2

Posted

I’m 65 miles inland from the wash in north Nottinghamshire 8 miles south of Mansfield  and when I’ve been looking it seems to be very marginal unless I’m reading it all wrong !  
Fingers crossed 

• Thanks 1

Posted

By the way if the models continue to show the same amount of snow this evening and tomorrow morning then amber warnings are going to have to be released well before hand!!met office warnings recently have been a shambles!!releasing an orange warning the other week when the snow event pretty much endded at the same time in the midlands!!thats pretty bad and i think they need to be on the ball more often!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

By the way if the models continue to show the same amount of snow this evening and tomorrow morning then amber warnings are going to have to be released well before hand!!met office warnings recently have been a shambles!!releasing an orange warning the other week when the snow event pretty much endded at the same time in the midlands!!thats pretty bad and i think they need to be on the ball more often!!

I don't want them to release any.....I'm convinced they are a curse!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

The main stream sites ie bbc and sky are saying that snow will mainly be focused on the east and Scotland, saying just flurries in southern areas. Does anyone know if there info will change closer to the time or do they have other sources for there weather info? 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Chertseystreamer79 said:

Out roll the warnings!!!

Just saw that. 1mm up to 4mm in the South East on Sunday. And A yellow warning at that. Either the charts are massively out or Exeter will be perpetually upgrading their warnings..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
59 minutes ago, tyson99 said:

I’m 65 miles inland from the wash in north Nottinghamshire 8 miles south of Mansfield  and when I’ve been looking it seems to be very marginal unless I’m reading it all wrong !  
Fingers crossed 

I think you’ll do much better being 65 miles inland, as anyone nearer the east coast will probably receive sleet or cold rain. 

Posted
36 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

Just saw that. 1mm up to 4mm in the South East on Sunday. And A yellow warning at that. Either the charts are massively out or Exeter will be perpetually upgrading their warnings..

Not sure where you got those depths from. Warning says 5-10cm widely and up to 15cm, with the southeast most at risk.

Edited by bumpydogz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
11 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

I think you’ll do much better being 65 miles inland, as anyone nearer the east coast will probably receive sleet or cold rain. 

Not with sub -10hPa temps and sub-zero dew points. Wet bulb temp, Theta-e, etc are all conducive to snow as well in coastal areas (eastern coastal areas, anyway).

21020800_0406.gif

I understand everyone's caution though. Been burned so many times, and this one is so close.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, bumpydogz said:

Not sure where you got those depths from. Warning says 5-10cm widely and up to 15cm, with the southeast most at risk.

That's 4mm rain which equates to coupios amounts of snow. Not quite sure what the actual ratio is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Seems Hastings area will most likely miss out again due to being on the coast, which is fine, as I am still in Latvia since before Christmas, thankfully both partner and I can work remotely, not that I have much work, and her family location here in the East of the country has had lying snow (albeit one day it melted down to ice where you could see the ground start to appear before a top up) since 19th December.

No proper snowfall since before new years day (we went downhill skiing on 2nd Jan - no many locations to do this here as quite a flat country, was a 90 min drive to the slopes) but light continuous snow and flurries which don't show on the radars could give a 2 or 3cm top up over night.

Each day you need to try and get the snow off roofs, and there are 6 buildings on the land here, plus shake snow off branches and trees where possible, to avoid snapping branches or the foliage dying and going brown on the conifers around the property.

Also every hour ensuring water for the animals hasn't frozen over, clearing snow off the electric wire around land the animals are currently on.

In Dec 2017 or 2018 it snowed on 12th December and they didn't see the ground until mid February, so another 3 weeks is possible to match that.

2 weeks ago it was minus 14 high and overnight minus 22 low for 6 days. Spent time with her grandmother 500 metres from the Russian border during that time as pipes from the well would freeze quickly and that level of cold with her joints etc is difficult to get about and to constantly keep her wooden handbuilt house warm.

Ordered more firewood to chop up to replace the more than usual amount used although there is a good 3 years of wood stockpiled.

A lot of Latvians ensure they have 2 or 3 year supply just in case. Heating my partners family home takes about 6 pieces of wood about the size of a loaf of bread to heat it up for about 18 hours when around 0c outside.

Has been hovering just around or below 0c to minus 5 recently but back down to minus 12 today... maybe reaching minus 20 overnight over the weekend. Hopefully you all get some snow wherever you are! 

Here are some snaps from Christmas/New year period when the snow was better than it is now.

Good luck all for the coming days.

20201229_145951.jpg

20201229_131526.jpg

20201226_160356.jpg

20201226_155530.jpg

20201226_155512.jpg

20201226_142815.jpg

20201226_134318.jpg

20201226_134150.jpg

20201225_111823.jpg

20201225_111802.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Chertseystreamer79 said:

That's 4mm rain which equates to coupios amounts of snow. Not quite sure what the actual ratio is.

Approx 1mm is 1cm of snow. So 1:10. Apparently but I think it depends on the type and size of snow too. Wetter larger flakes may be heavier so compacts more, lighter or drier snow may appear to give more as it is less dense.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
50 minutes ago, Smiler1709 said:

The main stream sites ie bbc and sky are saying that snow will mainly be focused on the east and Scotland, saying just flurries in southern areas. Does anyone know if there info will change closer to the time or do they have other sources for there weather info? 

I saw their weather report this morning as well and it actually looked farely mild down here (nothing unusal about that this winter as we've not seen a single flake yet) for most of the weekend, certainly knowhere near cold enough for snow. I don't know if they use the Met or Meteo Group? I was beginning to wonder whether everything had been delayed again, but looking at the Mod thread this doesn't seem the case. Perhaps they usuing old data or the cold is just not going to get over this way until at least Monday. Going to remain positive, as once the cold becomes entrenched then surprises can pop up at any time. Although I wasn't down here in 2018 for the BFTE,  I have seen photos of deep snow and drifts 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Chertseystreamer79 said:

No, I think the confusion was the OP only looked at the warning for Monday and not Saturday/Sunday, and then quoted mm instead of cm.

Edited by bumpydogz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
10 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Not with sub -10hPa temps and sub-zero dew points. Wet bulb temp, Theta-e, etc are all conducive to snow as well in coastal areas (eastern coastal areas, anyway).

21020800_0406.gif

I understand everyone's caution though. Been burned so many times, and this one is so close.

We had very little snow on the coast even during BFTE despite having lower 850’s. Higher North Sea temperatures are the culprit these days due to global warming. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but bleddy rain

Chuff all for Cornwall, as per usual. The cold here seems to be forecast to last about 3 days max also (Sunday to Tuesday). If anyone can cheer me up, please feel free.

Edited by MagicOtter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

SWW yellow issued by UKMET updated just now to extend the areas right down through all of SE england to the south coast from late Sat pm. Looking good folks!

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2