Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
Just now, radiohead said:

UKMO 144....No backtrack

spacer.png

Saving grace are the low uppers in the med thank God.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
19 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I thik we will be looking slightly flatter come then or a day or two after and a snowy battleground period

This battleground period??

image.thumb.png.4472a921b2bdf4b21b83812e95c364f6.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I would probably give it a couple more suites, but frankly this is pretty awful luck.

image.thumb.png.a904b1029f5b0307916104729a87ed25.png

Trough on the eastern seaboard and to our east. Where does the cold arctic air go? Yep straight on top of the Atlantic ridge, engages the low running over the top resulting in the low rapidly deepening with a strengthening jet to flatten the ridge.

Would normally be very dissapointed but can't be when have a good few days of snow potential coming up.

And the effects of the SSW I'm sure will give us a good late january into februrary! Still all to play for this winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Gfs collapses around the 8th Jan. We need that SSW to come into play now I fear. But from a imby perspective its been a nice week or so with Snow and many frosts. Sure this will just be a mild blip before the SSW kicks in. Writing was always on the wall when the UKMO, ECM and Icon all backtracked away from the Greenland high scenario shame as it could of been epic.

Posted
1 minute ago, Scott Ingham said:

144 and we aint actually losing any cold its miles away.

Looks to me like that short wave over greenland could just have delayed things for a day or 3!

Screenshot_20210103-161005_Samsung Internet.jpg

A bit more stubborn than I would have guessed watching it, any more surprises after I wonder  

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

settle for this GFS 12Z!

prectypeuktopo.png

For the north west and north Wales there’s a bit but for most it’s a big downgrade. See below 06z Vs 12z snow depth by the weekend 

9BB4A386-DE31-4C50-8AF2-85A4E4A404A0.png

88B46149-A8DA-42CF-B559-345694B6A824.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

UKMO +144h is better than this morning IMO.

More of a low near Iberia, heights building over Scandi and it has many differences in North America compared to 0Z.

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, Griff said:

A bit more stubborn than I would have guessed watching it, any more surprises after I wonder  

I dont think we will turn mild. Its looking more like a reshuffling of the deck due to the Southern Greenland shortwave. We know obviously we are forecast to stay cold after this so just a relaxation and go again towards the end end of the month when we will get a better imprint from the strat. O still feel we will get snowy surprises from a low in this period

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Fozfoster said:

image.thumb.png.6b3d602faf90be3f401c365a6625bf4c.pngyes please and on second bottle

old one that! 12Z gives us less snow than 06Z

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, Fozfoster said:

image.thumb.png.6b3d602faf90be3f401c365a6625bf4c.pngyes please

I wish , but we will see , down the road from you so hopefully what you get follows on to me .........whoops 6z

Edited by MJB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

We might be losing the dreamy charts, but overall it's still staying cold. It's not as bad as it could be!

• Like 1

Posted

The UKMO it’s hard to tell what next, the ridge is toppling but there’s still amplification coming out eastern USA/Canada that Newfoundland low is a pest, but we all know how poorly models are with these. Perhaps to what we could have experienced it’s a big let down, but normality returning I’m not seeing it. I still think this isn’t totally resolved and in event it does turn milder, judging by EPS it looks a temporary affair which reduces west based -NAO trend. The amplification isn’t disappearing it may flatten out, but there’s still a lot to watch. Things are more uncertain than usual in short term given we have a major SSW imminent. 

211EF5E4-9044-4D4C-A917-F52FDA1DFEB3.thumb.png.c1c905a2e1aba7ffed87a401dad7d3dc.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I’m confused (no change there)..... throughout the afternoon it’s been mentioned that FI is about T108, now we’re looking after that, it’s mainly despondency and hope casting!

the models up to T90 aren’t shabby and gives us plenty of flip flopping time to see a strong direction

Finally, could I ask people to explain their ones lines when they post a chart? Much appreciated 

Edited by V for Very Cold
Typo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Fog Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

For the north west and north Wales there’s a bit but for most it’s a big downgrade. See below 06z Vs 12z snow depth by the weekend 

9BB4A386-DE31-4C50-8AF2-85A4E4A404A0.png

88B46149-A8DA-42CF-B559-345694B6A824.png

You also have to remember the gfs is very low resolution you’ll have to go to the higher resolution