Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
5 minutes ago, IDO said:

Latest Met Office 10-day talking about the SSWE and suggesting latest research for the upcoming warming is indicative of a greater chance of SW'lys for the UK! With La Nina it is no surprise that the early direction from the coupling puts the UK away from the cold. I suspect we will learn a bit more from this SSWE as it seems unusual?

Actually where did La Nina favouring a milder second half of winter come from? 

1995-96 had cold spells in December and late January, February

1955-56 had a very cold February

1975-76 was a mild winter overall but the coldest/wintry weather came during the second half 

2011-12 had that cold first half to February. 

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

It's going to be flat until after day 9, the positive is the Arctic high is stronger and drifting into our side of the hemisphere. We need to see if the GFS can send a ridge up to join it from the Atlantic sector to slice the trop vortex in 2 around day 10-12

That may be the case but I don't see anything on the ensembles yet that would indicate this. Just before Christmas the Ensembles where pretty consistent of a cold spell but only just below -5 mark. We don't even have that now. Like others I think the Op's will pick up anything on the horizon first 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

1975-76 was a mild winter overall but the coldest/wintry weather came during the second half 

An overrated weakish correlation?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

quite, its January that is more nailed on mild - 05 Easterly feb, 09 Easterly feb, 86 easterly feb (nina side of enso neutral), 18 late feb easterly (nina)

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, frosty ground said:

That may be the case but I don't see anything on the ensembles yet that would indicate this. Just before Christmas the Ensembles where pretty consistent of a cold spell but only just below -5 mark. We don't even have that now. Like others I think the Op's will pick up anything on the horizon first 

@MATTWOLVES showed a few ensembles thinking about the idea earlier, I agree we need to see this firm up over the coming suites, at that range there is a lot of things that can scupper it, namely Atlantic shortwaves

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

No one has said that La Nina will wipe out cold until April, it is just when it spikes it will temper any cold as it goes more zonal from the Pacific. A spike is incoming for about 10-days so once that has passed through the trop drivers may subdue enough for the strat coupling to be more significant?

• Like 1

Posted

As the GFS rolls out, at least we can all agree that our expectations remain low, which will make any signs of winter come as a pleasant surprise. 

Remainder of this week forecast colder than I had imagined IMBY FYI BTW

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

@MATTWOLVES showed a few ensembles thinking about the idea earlier, I agree we need to see this firm up over the coming suites, at that range there is a lot of things that can scupper it, namely Atlantic shortwaves

graphe3_10000_244_29___.gif

A few runs yeah but it's at the very end and would need to be repeated more than a few times to get noticed. If by tomorrow 3/4 operations show the same and a few more ensembles are added maybe its time to take notice.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

No one has said that La Nina will wipe out cold until April, it is just when it spikes it will temper any cold as it goes more zonal from the Pacific. A spike is incoming for about 10-days so once that has passed through the trop drivers may subdue enough for the strat coupling to be more significant?

SO the GFS Op by your own admission could be "right" because its after the 10 day period in question.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I wonder whether those years also saw SSW?    Just a thought.

La Nina may in itself suggest a milder second half of winter in the UK, but there are always other factors at play.   In meteorology, you never get 4 from 2+2.   The equations are much, much more complex.  And, whilst sometimes the result is the same, just one factor being out by 1 can produce something altogether different.

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Give over IDO.

This is just as much a waste of time as the 'Phantom random block' last night. 

Anyone with the first clue on Met office updates - should know to take absolutely everything with a truck load of salt. They change on a daily basis and represent the changes amongst model out put each and every day. If they had been correct, this winter would have been extraordinarily mild and weather with a raging Vortex over Greenland that hadn't moved. Nonsense. Getting hung up on these from day to day is the exact reason why this thread descends into chaos every time a cold spell doesn't go as it might do.

I admire how you have changed your posts in recent years to include little rhetorical questions that hint at positivity, but there's those of us that have been here long enough to know your tone, style and overall hopes for winter. 

The best subtle troll there is on the internet, but that won't ever change.

Back to the ignore list.

The ecm run was in fact a "phantom random block" so I am not sure why I deserve critique there (went flat a a pancake on the next run)? Just looking at it, you could tell it was contrived and unlikely ever to land at d10! Algorithms sometimes go crazy!

Maybe the Met is wrong but it is worth putting in the mix, there is a lot of backtracking going on in Twitter land so it is useful to hear from the latest research? Do not shoot the messenger!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, IDO said:

Latest Met Office 10-day talking about the SSWE and suggesting latest research for the upcoming warming is indicative of a greater chance of SW'lys for the UK! With La Nina it is no surprise that the early direction from the coupling puts the UK away from the cold. I suspect we will learn a bit more from this SSWE as it seems unusual?

As for the 06z gefs, a mixed bag and no real clues away from the overall pattern trend. The op looks like a statistical outlier by d16 (2m temps):

graphe6_10000_312_154___.thumb.png.dd819f390c4740c5cbcea54f7f3a2650.png

So a run probably to ignore late on.

No!!  He didn't say it be milder after 10 days Looks like they not sure what's going to happen after 10 days, no clear winner,he didn't say it WOULD be mild 2nd half of winter, still 70% chance of colder conditions when SSW fully occurs, and 30% mild and sometimes SSW can lead to mild weather, as we know from last SSW

Shows you the complicated set_up when even all the powerful computers the MET have, can't work out what will happen after SSW happens fully, fascinated to see how this plays out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

Some proper cold ensembles starting to appear in deep FI on the latest GFS run.

Screenshot_20210106-143811_Chrome.jpg

Looks like @mountain shadow might have been onto something with his landing date of 21 January? 

You've jinxed it now man!

Posted
4 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

SO the GFS Op by your own admission could be "right" because its after the 10 day period in question.

No idea, 12-days is enough for me atm as the gefs highlight. Things may flip suddenly, as it takes models, especially the gfs, up to about 10 days to get to grips with something like this? I just want to see some sort of cluster bringing that severe cold close to our shores rather than the trough diving to our east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Back to discussing model outputT96 Ukmo and gfs. Differences at this time frame.

FA662F4A-7780-4BB1-8AFD-DA425C45415A.gif

9B31E3A7-972E-4412-AABC-0DA1E4224C8A.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

3 things keep swirling around my mind... 

A prospects for amplification 

B could things ever link up for Scandi heights? 

C persistence of the low, and how far the Atlantic makes progress, or rather has been delayed.

Not sure this means anything, probably just me going full 'A Beautiful Mind'... 

gfsnh-0-96__01.png

• Like 3

Posted

GFS still has the Friday snow there, but it's weaker than the 06z and looks more inline with the hi-res models now. There is another band that comes in after though on this run. Small accumulations possible for some.

overview_20210106_12_039.jpg

overview_20210106_12_042.jpg

overview_20210106_12_045.jpg

overview_20210106_12_048.jpg

overview_20210106_12_051.jpg

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

With regards to this more westerly spell coming up, I think it was well signposted from numerous sources.

The downwelling of the SSW first flushes the existing westerly flow in the Strat down through the layers, then the reversal follows behind. It just happened to be in a period that was already easterly for our patch and that has seemed like a backwards step, where in a normally zonal flow you’d not have noticed it!!

We are most definitely seeing that westerly push in the models gathering pace into the weekend and into next week.

It’s what happens beyond that that is the interesting bit, and with the volatility a Major SSW causes with the models (it’s a huge influence compared to the norm) we have to be open to all sorts of outcomes showing in the mid to longer term output.

It’s what verifies that’s the important bit! 

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

No!!  He didn't say it be milder after 10 days Looks like they not sure what's going to happen after 10 days, no clear winner,he didn't say it WOULD be mild 2nd half of winter, still 70% chance of colder conditions when SSW fully occurs, and 30% mild and sometimes SSW can lead to mild weather, as we know from last SSW

Shows you the complicated set_up when even all the powerful computers the MET have, can't work out what will happen after SSW happens fully, fascinated to see how this plays out. 

Watch again, I have put the video at the time where he says that recent research suggests that SW'lys are more likely from the type of SSWE we are having than not, so less than 50%? That 70% covers every SSWE, not specific types.

>here<

Any issues: complaints to enquiries@metoffice.gov.uk.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

You might want to view the ukmo from t144 back to t24. I know the fun is beyond t144 and the t24 is from this morning.

BC12401D-00A8-466D-A20F-08AB6D9E9DCB.gif

A77024A0-337A-453E-91AF-9A9ED68C536B.gif

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, IDO said:

Watch again, I have put the video at the time where he says that recent research suggests that SW'lys are more likely from the type of SSWE we are having than not, so less than 50%? That 70% covers every SSWE, not specific types.

>here<

Any issues: complaints to enquiries@metoffice.gov.uk.

He actually, quite clearly, said ‘sometimes’ gives south westerlies. 

• Like 6