Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Just the amount of clusters shows the uncertainty very good. I think we need to give it just some more days, by weekend there should be a better prospect of today’s ssw in the charts. It happened just now and we don’t know what outcome it will have, split or displacement. That are huge differences to be calculated...

Yes all a bit despondent in here tonight and I'm not really sure why.  Some good posts showing how the models failed to get a grip on 2013 and 2018 at this range.  Also some really good indications of cold to our east.  No two SSW are the same and given we've only really been looking at them seriously very recently there is a lack of training data for the models, which in turn makes any mid-long range forecasts dubious at best right now.  This is an important point - without training data i.e. enough evidence of how multiple SSW have unfolded in the past you can't train the algorithm to predict with any reliability.  This should get better over time but remember they are still rare events.

I've been encouraged by seeing strat models pushing the vortex over Asia and the Atlantic initially but then pushing the real cold back to Europe later on. 

image.png.570fa36e695f63ebe0500bcd0641cf63.pngAs yet nothing we can pin our hats on but very much all still to play for!  Keep those fingers crossed.

• Like 6

Posted
44 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

If the Atlantic loses any more momentum we'll be in an easterly next week

image.thumb.png.753ab6308b48e77bac705c62581d2efd.png

Indeed, models are still toying with the amplification up through the UK, Let's see if the ECM can repeat yesterdays run.

Para and gem at 240

gemnh-0-240.png

gfsnh-0-240 (1).png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

An improvement in the mean I would suggest.

8524B0EA-3A5F-4C7D-954B-9E5DFFE48067.png

B656A5CA-712E-4553-85D2-163D420F4D17.png

D8FD16F9-DCA1-40C7-A9DE-2C883778A487.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Not liking 144...

image.thumb.png.2bb7313b61644a10c730f1f3afa52332.png

Much prefer UKMO...

Still prefer it?

to be fair similar but ecm just a bit slower.

9020F13E-88B4-4BA0-89D0-E855864EF4CB.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Not liking 144...

image.thumb.png.2bb7313b61644a10c730f1f3afa52332.png

Much prefer UKMO...

Bit of a let-down after the 12z but that looked to good too be true at the time.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

I think we are going to end up in the middle unfortunately, frigid air in the states and frigid air to the east of the UK, we will have a mild high pressure sitting over us for a few weeks,,,,,,very much a unscientific prediction as I have don’t have much knowledge on the charts but let’s see if I’m correct

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
7 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

ECM removes the teeze from last night sadly. 

image.thumb.png.1152c6c56430f9fe1875c0ede8328bc6.png

Compare 12z with the 12z and 0z with the 0z, 

It's a huge improvement, we've got wedges of high pressure, a tanking neg ao, and no vortex over this side of the hemisphere, I think by tomorrow morning it'l look much better and this evenings will be an improvement again 

• Like 6

Posted

For all those that say day 10 is always great blah blah well not always

C90EF500-25FC-4157-AD95-1B938AFFA5FA.png

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Compare 12z with the 12z and 0z with the 0z, 

It's a huge improvement, we've got wedges of high pressure, a tanking neg ao, and no vortex over this side of the hemisphere, I think by tomorrow morning it'l look much better and this evenings will be an improvement again 

I've just had a look at the GFS (no others yet) and I think you're right!!  It looks a whole lot better than the last couple of days, I think there's a swing back towards colder weather and away from southwesterlies.  However the pendulum has only just started to swing back.

Also,it's snowing here?? in the east midlands??? and heavily???

• Like 2

Posted

Wretched ecm after last night's run, couldn't be more different, with Azores high the main player, hopefully it's a mild outlier after 168 hours like it has been recently or its miles away from cold at the end, inconsistent model it is becoming! 

• Like 2