Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Abergavenny
  • Location: Abergavenny

    I think the ECM is still interesting from a NHP point of view. I like the way, the vortex is moving west to east.  This has been a theme of late.

    Images are 48hr intervals out to D10

     

     

    1B2A39D3-1EC3-4778-A53C-95EBBC6C216B.png

    6F60540F-C310-44F5-8A01-C7FA3B861E13.png

    BA08A57F-ACBF-4ACE-9521-D49CD1F9BCD6.png

    EF67FB0E-168A-40A8-A5FB-3A888E265A48.png

    1E44A1E6-9598-4390-B9E8-634B49534EC2.png

    BB5298D4-9544-4DC3-AF22-6E01DD6B1E73.png

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 2k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    A seasonal absentee by-stander in all this - but a one-off offering from me. Its a pity that this post is getting taken apart in some quarters, because hypothetically it *could* promote some inte

    LOL, the only time I tend to interact with SL is to offer a different point of view, so I definitely would not report on his thoughts. Jeez he was still at school when I was monitoring the strat. 

    Been very busy but wasn’t a bad time to be away for a couple of days. Call a spade a spade - got next week wrong. Thought amplification would see off the impact of the displacing vortex given such wea

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: Anything except blazing hot summers!
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

    One thing that I have been doing more of in the last couple of days is looking at the Northern Hemisphere view on the charts rather than the Europe view. The reason being is that obviously we need to be looking for signs of a "reverse" flow over the Pole, ie signs that the SSW has permeated to the Trop.

    To me (and I might be reading this wrong), on the GFS a reverse flow doesn't even get going within 200 hours, and even then it's nothing to write home about. Only approaching 300 hours is there a flow that might have a bit of meat on the bones over the Pole. 

    The ECM doesn't even get anything remotely looking like a reverse flow until T+240, and also nothing to write home about. I am sure the models are aware of the goings-on in the Strat, so there is perhaps a longer lag time for things to start affecting the Trop. Patience is the key. It is only 4th Jan, it's not as if we are at the end of winter - we haven't even entered the heart of winter yet!

    Like I say, I might be looking at this the wrong way - but now that the SSW is starting to kick in, we should hopefully start seeing some better "reverse flows" over the Pole on the NH view of the models, and then what impact there might be on north west Europe.

    Edited by Paul_1978
    typo
    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Poole, BH14
  • Location: Poole, BH14

    Looking at how fast its filtering down personally i cant see anything but a quick response. High latitude blocking will be evident by next Sunday mark my words. All i can see is the probability of high pressure over the pole, cold rushing into Europe and America a long fetch eastily with new wave 1 showing this morning on top to see us through February.

    All looking good in my book.

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dousland, South Dartmoor 205 m/asl
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers. cold snowy winters
  • Location: Dousland, South Dartmoor 205 m/asl
    16 minutes ago, ryanoroo said:

    It would seem that back in 2018 post SSW the gfs picked up on the BFTE 12 days before (modelled it 13th and hit us around the 25th) it hit our little island... might mean nothing but worth keeping an eye on what the gfs is saying in the coming days 😜👍🏻☃️🌨❄️

    I seem to remember ICON led the way before the others fell into line. The only time I can remember ICON had its moment in the sun!!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Glasshouses HG3
  • Weather Preferences: Snow upon snow upon SNOW!!!
  • Location: Glasshouses HG3
    1 minute ago, festivalking said:

    I seem to remember ICON led the way before the others fell into line. The only time I can remember ICON had its moment in the sun!!

    Haha! indeed, got onto that bit in the subsequent threads of the beast arriving! Think it kinda went... gfs saw it 1st... ecm smoothed out the details and the ICON nailed it (as such) atmospherically!👍🏻

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Coventry
  • Location: Coventry
    5 hours ago, John88B said:

    Hi, a question from a complete novice. So is the SSW affecting the models already even though it hasn't actually occurred yet? Or has it occurred? Sorry really confused. Thanks in advance.

    Hi John.

    Sorry I didn't reply, earlier. Work is getting in the way of model watching again now!

    I am novice too, the warming has occurred, we should see a technical SSW by tomorrow. I believe the models are being affected now due to the swings run to run in the 120-192 timeframe.

     

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.

    A nice push of warm Uppers, into SE Europe. Again... Something which, I think, has gotten more common during our winters -- especially since 2019?🤔

    h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

    Now back to SSW watch!:drunk-emoji:

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Netherlands
  • Location: Netherlands
    19 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

    One thing that I have been doing more of in the last couple of days is looking at the Northern Hemisphere view on the charts rather than the Europe view. The reason being is that obviously we need to be looking for signs of a "reverse" flow over the Pole, ie signs that the SSW has permeated to the Trop.

    To me (and I might be reading this wrong), on the GFS a reverse flow doesn't even get going within 200 hours, and even then it's nothing to write home about. Only approaching 300 hours is there a flow that might have a bit of meat on the bones over the Pole. 

    The ECM doesn't even get anything remotely looking like a reverse flow until T+240, and also nothing to write home about. I am sure the models are aware of the goings-on in the Strat, so there is perhaps a longer lag time for things to start affecting the Trop. Patience is the key. It is only 4th Jan, it's not as if we are at the end of winter - we haven't even entered the heart of winter yet!

    Like I say, I might be looking at this the wrong way - but now that the SSW is starting to kick in, we should hopefully start seeing some better "reverse flows" over the Pole on the NH view of the models, and then what impact there might be on north west Europe.

    Well, it seems to me that the downwelling is not going as wished (GFS wise)

    Knipsel2.PNG

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: frome somerset 105m ABSL,
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
  • Location: frome somerset 105m ABSL,
    7 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

    Some years ago when I tried using this as an indicator of a possible cold spell for the UK, on occasions when it did happen, the time scale was about 12-15 days.

    Thanks John, I’m not using it as an indicator for a cold spell for the uk, just showing what’s going on up above us.

    I find it fascinating and we still know very little about it. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester Deansgate.
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
  • Location: Manchester Deansgate.
    4 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

    Well, it seems to me that the downwelling is not going as wished (GFS wise)

    Knipsel2.PNG

    I still think it will take that second period of -ve zonal winds at the top to start seeing the stellar charts, one problem though is there looks to be a wave near the UK in the strat on the GFS, i just hope that doesn't transpire into residual shortwave energy in the trop stretching from southern Greenland to UK but have a big fear of this happening now.

    Edited by feb1991blizzard
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Stroud, Gloucestershire
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
  • Location: Stroud, Gloucestershire

    SSW can take time to impact the lower levels. Two to four weeks is normal. I would say a quick response would be the 10-14 day period. 
     

    So if the technical SSW is happening around now/tomorrow and we see a quick response you’d hope to see the far reaches of ECM and GfS FI picking up hints in the operational runs towards the end of the working week. 
     

    Could be a painful/enjoyable period coming up 🙂 

    • Like 6
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Brighton, East Sussex
  • Location: Brighton, East Sussex

    HP nearby the U.K. seems the form horse in the medium range, albeit we aren’t sure of the ground conditions yet (SSW impact?) and so the said horse might end up in a Tesco burger.

     

    There’s just too much annoying residual energy around the GL area, one thing is for sure if we don’t get any cold spell this January it will be a truly remarkable feat of bad luck, although that seems like the usual for most of us nowadays 😂 

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
    1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

     

    Yes it was - saves him commenting until the next set of runs are out ....

    just checked out the eps clusters and beyond day 5/6, the system dropping se into scandi may end up closer to the U.K. with less ridging across nw Europe in general 

    there are enough northerly clusters with the ridging held a little to our west to maintain momentum on here ....

    Certainly.

    A level head is still needed 

    No one should be proclaiming a bfte right now just as no one should be saying 36 hours of model runs mean its turning mild.

    I still believe we could see a more middle ground where the high pressure moves further away to the west than is being shown and the previous runs being a blip

    Theres certainly some small momentum building in the clusters for a reversal of the warm theme now.

    On the fence i stay!

    See you all after the ECM!

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Herne Bay Kent
  • Location: Herne Bay Kent
    3 minutes ago, chris55 said:

    SSW can take time to impact the lower levels. Two to four weeks is normal. I would say a quick response would be the 10-14 day period. 
     

    So if the technical SSW is happening around now/tomorrow and we see a quick response you’d hope to see the far reaches of ECM and GfS FI picking up hints in the operational runs towards the end of the working week. 
     

    Could be a painful/enjoyable period coming up 🙂 

     Summed up and my thoughts exactly 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cornwall
  • Location: Cornwall

    NAO starting to go into two groups while one goes back to just around negative while the other remains negative 

    AO more scattered though only two members go above to postives the majority remains below negative

    nao.fcst.gif

    ao.fcst.gif

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
  • Location: Rotherham, East Dene
    46 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

    Its subtle but the Manchester ECM 2m temp ensembles 

    12z run yesterday                            0z run today 

    lxSsbKW.pngiOrlMBV.png

    Yeah evidence is stacking of an over reaction unitially from the models to send the high over NW Europe.

    Big runs this evening

    • Like 5
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    32 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

     

    The ECM doesn't even get anything remotely looking like a reverse flow until T+240, and also nothing to write home about. 

     

    I am mystified by this also - i acknowledge that many are looking for a cold / snowy outcome for our neck of the woods, but what i am perplexed by is that there will be much less high latitude blocking anywhere in the northern hemisphere @240 hrs compared to what we have seen over the last week.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bournemouth
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
  • Location: Bournemouth

    The thing about this run thus far is the heights to the ne. Have a look at the mean and the perts. Also right over the North Pole. 

    2DE403C7-2CC1-4DFB-9DE9-4806486D26B9.png

    A9052608-74F9-40A1-8549-9FE30169AB33.png

    AFA28C57-4030-4D46-99C7-1C624F792217.png

    Edited by That ECM
    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Manchester Deansgate.
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
  • Location: Manchester Deansgate.

    strat.gif

    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: st albans
  • Location: st albans
    5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

    strat.gif

    You’d be surprised to see that particular solution repeat ...... could be worse - might be three hundred miles to our west ! 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Nr. Tunbridge Wells (150m/450ft asl)
  • Location: Nr. Tunbridge Wells (150m/450ft asl)
    20 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

    Certainly.

    A level head is still needed 

    No one should be proclaiming a bfte right now just as no one should be saying 36 hours of model runs mean its turning mild.

    I still believe we could see a more middle ground where the high pressure moves further away to the west than is being shown and the previous runs being a blip

    Theres certainly some small momentum building in the clusters for a reversal of the warm theme now.

    On the fence i stay!

    See you all after the ECM!

    Hey get off that fence! You have been emphatically in the cold camp, rejected models suggesting a warm up, insisted it would stay blocked and cold.

    And I for one hope you are right.

    • Like 6
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Message added by Paul,

    Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

    For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    • Settled, dry spell continues as daytime temperatures edge up a degree or so

      The risk of frost continues and it is chilly out of the sunshine but the fine, dry spell continues this week as the temperatures creep up, closer to average rather than below as they have been. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      2021 Arctic Sea Ice Melt Season Outlook

      Samual Hayes explores the trends and the main influencing factors as the Arctic Sea Ice Melt season for 2021 gets underway. Read the full article

      BornFromTheVoid
      BornFromTheVoid
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Cold waves hitting Europe continue to threaten growers, is there a link to climate change?

      Much of Europe, not just the UK, has experienced unseasonably cold weather since the Easter Weekend. A plunge of cold arctic air brought by northerly winds early last week brought several nights of frost and even snow across large swathes of Europe, followed by another wave of cold arctic air spreads across much of Europe this week. The frosts causing damage to new growth in vineyards and orchardsa0spurred on by a late March heatwave, the vineyards of France werea0particularly badly affected.

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 4
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...