Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Jan 3rd onwards

bluearmy
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Looks more like a turtle to me:

4C873345-58AA-40BE-9D34-0EB16A60A879.thumb.png.d453d359b30bd5fc245dffaba40caa6b.png

And welcome to the UK, too!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Well folks,what i will say is this...if we do manage to tap into an E/NETLY in the near future,we shouldn't be having a problem with the 850s...the cold looks much more intense and expansive on many ens now.

Quick update from Marco P regarding the GFS 12z which shows a less dramatic warming in a weeks time...more importantly is that the 12z was also showing extreme warming again during week 3 of January...now if that comes off it would surely spell the end of the Vortex....

DONT HAVE NIGHTMARES.. I think that was from crime watch

gens-2-1-264.png

gens-2-0-264.png

gens-3-0-264.png

gens-6-0-264.png

gens-9-1-264.png

gens-9-0-276.png

Book them..and they will come..

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

I think it should be mentioned (as per CET thread namely; Realitivistic that whilst the 14-day period up to the 10th hasn't been particularly news / record worthy it will have almost certainly been the coldest 14 day period since January 2013 (~ 0.8 C vs -0.4 C) and is comparable to the coldest 14 day period in 2018 (Feb/March 2018), 1.2 C

That is worthy of the very least a mention.

Next weeks mild looks to have been watered down to an extent at present.

Would be nice if this recent cold spell is a sort of calibration for what can be compared against for the rest of the winter. 

And at least this year there is some brutal (by modern standards) cold covering a large portion of Siberia. Might be worth keeping an eye on its westward progression.

ANOM2m_f162_equir.png

Indeed OP that`s certainly noteworthy in my book..Much more more input needed day by day as it come`s; we are still in with a shout of something more polar on the horizon...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
54 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

That gfs run was close to historic, with that bitterly cold Siberian air nearly making it across, unusual to see that depth of cold, in mid-winter anymore. 

I don't think it's going to be long before we get a "BOOM" run, and this place goes into meltdown. 

It's certainly been entertaining the model viewing over the past few week, and a great distraction from the wretched virus etc.. 

Very interesting days ahead, even if things don’t go our way I suspect the NH profile to be a sight to behold either way. 

Jan 2013 is my comparison don’t think the trip supports large gaping high pressure at least in a way that will benefit us, and we all know what wedges can make. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
2 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Looks more like a turtle to me:

4C873345-58AA-40BE-9D34-0EB16A60A879.thumb.png.d453d359b30bd5fc245dffaba40caa6b.png

Tortoise - always plodding towards us from T+384 and falling down the ECM trapdoor at T+120.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

As we are looking into fi for clues I’ll post this mean at T192. Which is an improvement from last nights. Still not much clearer though imo.

88634E01-4890-4A17-BC38-EE9A37FF9656.png

AB8ED0E4-AA2E-48D1-B77C-75243F5996EE.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
34 minutes ago, That ECM said:

As we are looking into fi for clues I’ll post this mean at T192. Which is an improvement from last nights. Still not much clearer though imo.

Morning. Yes a bit of a status quo this morning on the early runs. That said there is a sense imo that things on the nhp are about to explode in the not so distant future. Various attempts at a slack easterly continue atm so hopefully threw the next few days things become clearer and for the better

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Good shift on 00z towards a strong Omega ridge. Ecm op is likely to pick up on this signal.

I've looked at GFS and GFS para and they both look meh to me Kasim?

UKMO looks broadly similar at 144 too ?

We look to be losing the Euro low set up which is almost always bad news for coldies.

Hope you are correct of course.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, That ECM said:

The difference over Greenland in terms of a more negative tilt is very pronounced. The upsteam impacts of this towards the UK are shown in many of the members. EC may bring in a Scandi high.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I've looked at GFS and GFS para and they both look meh to me Kasim?

UKMO looks broadly similar at 144 too ?

We look to be losing the Euro low set up which is almost always bad news for coldies.

Hope you are correct of course.

I'm not saying they aren't still "meh", rather that we have seen upgrades in that category to a pattern which has more potential to deliver. Not at 144h,,180h+ in the GEFS and GEM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I'm not saying they aren't still "meh", rather that we have seen upgrades in that category to a pattern which has more potential to deliver. Not at 144h,,180h+ in the GEFS and GEM.

Yes clearly a waiting game now to see if the cards fall in our favour.

Perhaps the last third of Jan as a landing point...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes clearly a waiting game now to see if the cards fall in our favour.

Perhaps the last third of Jan as a landing point...

Yep. Mid Jan needs to be watched for volatility imo. Been reading the NW thread from Feb 2018. Hopefully those scenes will return soon.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yep. Mid Jan needs to be watched for volatility imo. Been reading the NW thread from Feb 2018. Hopefully those scenes will return soon.

Haha...

Dont want to take the thread O/T but yes that was amazing for Saddleworth.

Its nice to see optimism bristling in your posts Kasim.

I'm  less hopeful, the signal to a much more traditional flatter pattern has gained a lot of traction over the last 48 hours and we know all to well this can be an absolute pain to shift, we are now,IMO utterly reliant on this SSW.

I'm not saying a cold spell is impossible, but I would suggest a crappy westerly pattern is form horse for the foreseeable.

We will see...

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Haha...

Dont want to take the thread O/T but yes that was amazing for Saddleworth.

Its nice to see optimism bristling in your posts Kasim.

I'm  less hopeful, the signal to a much more traditional flatter pattern has gained a lot of traction over the last 48 hours and we know all to well this can be an absolute pain to shift, we are now,IMO utterly reliant on this SSW.

I'm not saying a cold spell is impossible, but I would suggest a crappy westerly pattern is form horse for the foreseeable.

We will see...

I am at a slightly different viewpoint. Here's to the EC00Z for tipping things in our favour.

• Like 2

Posted

This is quite different from gfs and Ukmo.  Ukmo has the heights to the nw drift east between t120 and t144 where ecm builds them in situ. Interesting. 

3199076F-CB5F-4FAE-9BD4-ED0094476C54.png

3BC2E1DC-5A67-451D-9B58-BEB1F632313B.png

FEAF06CF-F981-4545-8ADA-8D2E689E11FF.gif

AE71033D-1906-459C-8214-572DF0FB1DE4.gif

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.750982c1a2fedf2aae5ebf5c625f189c.png

Upstream looks good, the heights to our South an absolute pain though.

Yea, until the Atlantic relents we have no chance, as soon as a ridge starts another low comes and flattens it! Everything else looks good, one of those times where we seem to be in the worst possible place in the western side of the northern hemeshere. 

ECMOPEU00_192_1-4.png

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.750982c1a2fedf2aae5ebf5c625f189c.png

Upstream looks good, the heights to our South an absolute pain though.

High to the north/ nw dragging the cold from the ne battling the high from the south? Is the what the met are seeing? All very interesting but who knows. We watch with interest. One final point from me is that the low out west on t168 ecm heads sw at t192. Is this a sign of the reversal? I’ll leave it for brighter individuals than I.

952C3A18-800C-425F-B219-9432E36CA050.pngTo clarify one goes ne and the other goes sw.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 4