Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted

Properly coming down in Harborne! I wondered why I’d woken to so many messages in the midland thread! Good call Shaun!  

Posted

Just had a little mix of sleet and graupel in Evesham (first time I have seen the latter this winter)

Posted

Just had a site walk round in Perry bar in occasional heavy snow left a covering !!

Posted

Lightish snow here last 15 mins, left a sugar dusting. Started as snow grains/small flakes then turned into larger but still smallish fluffy flakes. Nice to see no rain or sleet in it, the temp dropping to just below zero overnight might have made the difference

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi Guys..

Whilst the site has been off, I've had an hour of nice fat chunky flakes, intermixing with spells of graupel .

Very nice to see. Hasn't really settled though, although at 8:30there was a dusting everywhere.

Temperature rising slightly now as slightly brighter weather moves in, 1.1C up from 0.5C at 0700.

Brightening up now though.

Well done to Shaun for spotting it, When I went to bed it looked as though it was destined for South Oxfordshire.. Just shows...if you get the cold in,  surprises can occur.

My comments above were indeed aimed at Friday morning, as I had not seen the potential for this morning.

As pointed out above, the EC is the only model not going for a small wave developing on friday.

Let us see.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Well to my surprise there’s big flakes

Posted

-2c currently low -3c, bright sunshine with snow remnants and dusting from overnight... quite icy hope Thursday night/Friday morning comes to fruition but not going to jinx it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Friday looking like an upgrade, nice to see more falling and settling snow this morning even if its just a sugar coating so far.

• Like 2

Posted

Yup whatever falls on friday could stick around for a few days!!!!its upgraded in intensity but problem is it shifted east slightly and if it goes any further east then it will be a band of nothing lol!!!keep it the way it is with maybe a little low developing like the 18z yesterday to slow it down further across us and i will be happy!!!

Posted

BBC automated forecast prolongs the snow risk for here. I don’t know what model they use for this. Their other forecasts just use the ECM and so show nothing.

602B0056-40C4-4998-8AE0-7C1A12A2E28E.jpeg

0AF12BC6-FCE4-4F2B-933D-27935B4CEA1A.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke

Posted

Not gonna really look too closely at friday until within 24 hours of the event, we all know that a slight shift in one direction and its probably not gonna happen. Im just glad its not a channel low as that ALWAYS moves south of the m4 (well the majority of instances ive seen it forecast to hit here 2/3 days in advance and then the new forest is the only place to see snow). However, im keeping it in check, dont expect much and if we get something its a bonus.

Still snowing here as i speak, but not really accumulating aside from the dusting last night. Still nice to see though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Temps look cold into next week on the 06z?

upgraded the cold a bit, high further north, no snow but maybe fog frost Mon and Tues, still needs to be a bit further north

Posted

Met Office extended outlook sounds potentially interesting for the Midlands.

’However, there is still a chance of cold air outbreaks in the north as flow across Scandinavia pushes across the North Sea. This would confine more unsettled conditions to the south, as well as milder than average temperatures. Further, this boundary between the cold and milder conditions could also allow for some significant snowfall where the two air masses’.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Met Office extended outlook sounds potentially interesting for the Midlands.

’However, there is still a chance of cold air outbreaks in the north as flow across Scandinavia pushes across the North Sea. This would confine more unsettled conditions to the south, as well as milder than average temperatures. Further, this boundary between the cold and milder conditions could also allow for some significant snowfall where the two air masses’.

GFS 06Z? what error or something, mild from Tuesday night, W'lys looks like normal Atlantic air