Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Cloudy all day, apart from the odd sunny spell earlier in the day, with drizzle at times later in the afternoon. Rain this evening. Reached 11.7°C, currently 9.9°C

Posted
2 hours ago, SilverWolf said:

Very IMBY post, sorry. Snow accumulation end Sunday - where’s all the Stroudies! 
67AA9DCA-4708-4545-A8D1-7BC5A0BE1D92.thumb.png.ca15b125ffac14e74c20f43165bc0100.png

That'd be nice. Few miles could make all the difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, SilverWolf said:

Sorry if you’ve not had any snow, really, but to be fair I’m in the south west and I’ve had 4 days of falling and lying snow (3 were a bit crap admittedly), and more frosts than last winter. Not to mention 2 thunder events since mid December, hailstorms and crazy monsoon rain leading to flash flooding. And were only really halfway through winter.... 

This has been the most interesting winter weather wise for over a decade for me, and I don’t live in the Midlands! 

Don't worry I've had some snow, just nothing out of the ordinary. It certainly has been more interesting this year, but then again, that's not too difficult. At face value, the conditions this winter have been much more seasonal, but given the potential and synoptics on offer, somewhat disappointing. The winter of 2017/18 was snowier up to this point.

Still, as you say, another 5-6 weeks of winter left which could be quite different. There has at least been snow in January.

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, tasty_snacks said:

Eventually a WXxhart has to be correct,...what looked like a Channel low with cold air in the right place for southern England has wobbled around all week, and is clearly inherently stronger than the colder air flow from the E/NE... as usual 75miles in the one direction changes the donation...

Remember this from Monday?

image.thumb.png.dbf01351cff3692a41a8121a70e4eb3e.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning All, overcast and raining (It's January...still) but at least its mild currently (the low so far today) 8.7°C at: 07:49 and the current temperature, at least its mild, and capping the power bills to a seasonal level.. the beachcam this morning..

image.thumb.png.6b0a6cdd1b6ac4cb9e7d12f976d594df.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Eventually a WXxhart has to be correct,...what looked like a Channel low with cold air in the right place for southern England has wobbled around all week, and is clearly inherently stronger than the colder air flow from the E/NE... as usual 75miles in the one direction changes the donation...

Remember this from Monday?

image.thumb.png.dbf01351cff3692a41a8121a70e4eb3e.png

Yes well that aged well.

Lesson learned folks, I apologise for posting a good looking chart for snow earlier in the week for our region.

Won’t do that again ?‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
11 hours ago, tasty_snacks said:

BBC weather this morning has downgraded, it was described as hill snow, rain lower levels and the Cotswolds were mentioned for...sleet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
3 minutes ago, MidnightSnow said:

lol.thumb.png.1fef57814a1dbd902c081ca40c404e37.png

1921575733_tenor(1).gif.932846d67d579997281cb6b733b722f2.gif

Haha half in half out! I'm in the far north east tip of Yate so I'm in! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
Just now, Turnedoutniceagain said:

It'll rain

I must admit I'm not holding my breath although I think it'll turn to snow as it clears maybe. 

Posted

Arome for tomorrow. 

Rain to snow and then fizzle for the North of the region, so keep the faith early doors.

anim_fva4.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

Cheltenham races cancelled again for tomorrrow. That follows the Jan 1st cancellation. Odd really because I dont think its been that wet. Tewkesbury for example has no major flooding this winter.

Really hard to call rain or snow tomorrow. Its feel spring like outside right now so am thinking rain more that snow, but the Cotswolds at typically 200m could be the sweet spot. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
2 hours ago, Cleeve Hill said:

Cheltenham races cancelled again for tomorrrow. That follows the Jan 1st cancellation. Odd really because I dont think its been that wet. Tewkesbury for example has no major flooding this winter.

Been working outside this week, and the ground (either grass or soil) is completely saturated following last week ends snow, and the heavy rain the previous 2 nights. I don’t know anything about horse racing, but maybe that’s why? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Well this weekend feels different to last weekend! Before the snow came Sunday morning here in Stroud it was a couple below freezing, and in reality we didn’t actually have that much snow  fall, it wasn’t anywhere near a whiteout. But, every flake settled! 

I’ve seen rain turn to snow (after many hours of rain) and then settle quite a few times, so there’s that too. But it’s so damn mild today! Anyone know when is the colder air due to arrive? Is it going to get colder than now before the rain/snow arrives or later on? I’d be happier if it at least started marginal personally..... 

Edited by SilverWolf

Posted

Another wet weekend, damn I was hoping to get out in the garden as things are sprouting now with the warmth of late. Wellies and 

11 minutes ago, SilverWolf said:

But it’s so damn mild today! Anyone know when is the colder air due to arrive? Is it going to get colder before the rain/snow arrives or later on? I

Well it certainly doesn't look to be anywhere near right now looking at this:

image.thumb.png.fb88643b8046910a1d00d1a2fdf978a7.png

And the front is already heading our way...

image.thumb.png.40c9e19514651ffe429250ccf0710983.png

So something needs to get a move on for you Northeners, OR you gonna get our crystal clear liquid snow..

Wellies and waxed coats at the ready for a soggy weekend, damn and I had hoped to get out in the garden as the warmth is really bringing things on at quite a rate down here..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
6 hours ago, jtay said:

Bit blowy out.

And a rainbow..

IMG_20210129_095939903_HDR.thumb.jpg.0731a5e4f38f85a499fd7389771cb336.jpg

Yeah, I caught a really low rainbow this morning, whilst I stood there getting wet, love it...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
11 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I see the Bristol & Bath snow shield is in place for next week..

Capture.JPG

Well west country is not doing well this year. Models showing some love for eastern half into feb. 

Posted

And a comment I noted in the outlook for the weekend " Plenty to keep snow lovers in the south on their toes this weekend."..

If south means "south of Hadrian's wall, yep I agree".....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

And a comment I noted in the outlook for the weekend " Plenty to keep snow lovers in the south on their toes this weekend."..

If south means "south of Hadrian's wall, yep I agree".....

Thats so we dont get water in our boots from the flooding.. 

• Like 1