Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
1 minute ago, ronan said:

Snowing the past 30 mins. Good to see a warning out

Yes, that's a nice band there. Not making much progress East though, there's a shocker!

image.thumb.png.0751ff9afb115444e4ca4deca6278dd3.png

Posted
6 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yes, that's a nice band there. Not making much progress East though, there's a shocker!

image.thumb.png.0751ff9afb115444e4ca4deca6278dd3.png

No chance of it lying where I am just now but the hills definitly getting a bit whiter. Looking forward to a bit of lamppost watching tonight. Hopefully they push further SE and everyone gets a bit of action 

Posted

Lying on my grass and slush on the road but 10m less elevation at the bottom of street nothing..should improve later hopefully

IMG_20210122_113306.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

That last band of showers has broken up significantly when it crossed Donegal...obviously not too keen on Tyrone

Next one moving in looks a bit more robust

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
4 hours ago, Summer Snow said:

Snowing away in South j Kilkenny 

Nice covering here in South Kilkenny... totally unforecast... very slight thaw now but should keep most of our  cover intact  today...lovely stuff....hopefully everyone gets in on the action this weekend.... 

20210122_101200.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
22 minutes ago, Summer Snow said:

Nice covering here in South Kilkenny... totally unforecast... very slight thaw now but should keep most of our  cover intact  today...lovely stuff....hopefully everyone gets in on the action this weekend.... 

20210122_101200.jpg

Ninja snow is always the best!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
20 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

Ninja snow is always the best!

Surely is Big Lad..... just goes to show ...get the cold air in place and surprises can happen....no model nor Met Eireann showed a band of heavy snow pushing accross Munster amd south Leinster this morning ...you guys up north should see some decent snow over weekend.....Colder upper air temps sinking South all the time now.....

Posted

Snowed lightly for a minute here.   Literally lightest snow ever.  Grass has a few tiny bits of white.  Hoping for more.  

Edited by jello
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Donegal said:

Letterkenny

20210122_151400.jpg

Alot of cars stuck? Looks quite high up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Can anybody explain the physics behind shower activity? Always fascinates me why some showers will push well inland and maintain their intensity, whilst other times (like today) they disintegrate 20-30 miles inland. Some really beefy showers completely fell apart this afternoon within 15 miles of travel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: whatever the weather, I'll be watching.
11 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Can anybody explain the physics behind shower activity? Always fascinates me why some showers will push well inland and maintain their intensity, whilst other times (like today) they disintegrate 20-30 miles inland. Some really beefy showers completely fell apart this afternoon within 15 miles of travel.

There are multiple reasons why. Could be less moisture rich air inland, could be surface to troposphere temperature difference, slack air flow/divergence.

In this case the showers are developing due to sea to troposphere temperature difference (moist warmer air will try rising above the colder air aloft). This is larger than the land to troposphere temperature difference, and with less moisture over land, any air that rises is drier (meaning no shower development). With no development, the showers fade. 

There is also slack isobars, meaning wind divergence more probable. In summer/thunderstorm potential you will hear of convergence zones. Convergence helps aid convection (and organised storm development), but divergence is the opposite, and aids sinking air. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
25 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

It does feel like I get trolled by clouds sometimes ....hoping these improve the penetration situation later 

Screenshot_20210122-184456.jpg

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Many thanks @The Weather Watcher

No problem.

Apart from the cold air aloft, on this occasion all other forcings are not conducive to good shower activity, so we just have the wishbone kind of effect, with showers only really on windward coasts. What could aid us better is even colder uppers (more upward forcing), small patches of moist and milder air (for trough development) or converging winds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, The Weather Watcher said:

No problem.

Apart from the cold air aloft, on this occasion all other forcings are not conducive to good shower activity, so we just have the wishbone kind of effect, with showers only really on windward coasts. What could aid us better is even colder uppers (more upward forcing), small patches of moist and milder air (for trough development) or converging winds.

Please feel free to ignore but can I also ask why I can see the smoke from nearby houses ( the surface air ) being blown in the exact opposite  direction of travel than the clouds, is the surface air cold enough to be drawn out to sea even against the prevalling wind ? 

Edited by na52

Posted
16 minutes ago, na52 said:

Please feel free to ignore but can I also ask why I can see the smoke from nearby houses ( the surface air ) being blown in the exact opposite way direction of travel than the clouds, is the surface air cold enough to be drawn out to sea even against the prevalling wind ? 

Commonly known as a land breeze. Apart from possible surface winds changing direction due to buildings/land interference, it is most likely a land breeze. These do prefer to happen at night as the inland temperature gets colder, plus with the slack NW winds atm it'll not be hindered. The winds increase somewhat later tonight, enough to stop the land breeze from happening. 

I might add also that wind divergence can cause unusual surface wind directions, although it is more likely to cause sinking air, fog, etc.

Edited by The Weather Watcher
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, The Weather Watcher said:

Commonly known as a land breeze. Apart from possible surface winds changing direction due to buildings/land interference, it is most likely a land breeze. These do prefer to happen at night as the inland temperature gets colder, plus with the slack NW winds atm it'll not be hindered. The winds increase somewhat later tonight, enough to stop the land breeze from happening. 

Thanks

Posted
10 minutes ago, The Weather Watcher said:

I might add also that wind divergence can cause unusual surface wind directions, although it is more likely to cause sinking air, fog, etc.

Funny you added that as I did see a fog forming earlier and thought that was a bit out of place as there was a light snow on at the time