Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
31 minutes ago, JamesM said:

A trip over the hills to my office in Greenock today to pick some stuff up. Barely even a hint of snow even at the highest points of the road which surprised me. 

Everything frozen solid again. Definitely must be cold as our street had its first visit from a gritter in two years this afternoon. Normally more chance of a unicorn than a gritter down here. 

@SW Saltire I have run winter tyres on my cars for a number of years now and the difference is astounding. A front wheel drive on winter tyres is way better than a four wheel drive on summer tyres. They allow me to keep to snow covered backroads with no other traffic. The only time my previous Skoda Fabia got stuck was in deep snowdrifts. The current Focus ST has huge wide low profile tyres and even with winter tyres its not as good in the snow, but still 100 times better than running on summers. 

Do you feel our typical winter justifies it? Suppose it depends on price etc but certainly would be keen to chuck those on the Leon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Precipitation has arrived here. Bad news is that is sleet freezing as it lands Some bigger flakes in it so not all lost yet. Temp 1C.

• Like 3

Posted

Just checked outside and it's blinking raining!!! Wasn't expecting that tbh... oh well, maybe next time!

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, AFC Snow said:

Have you got anything in town Doc? A decent amount here but hard to tell without going outside.

Sadly not. We missed most of the heavier stuff and what we did get just made the cold ground wet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Do you feel our typical winter justifies it? Suppose it depends on price etc but certainly would be keen to chuck those on the Leon

The last time I'd to change tyres I swapped to All Seasons on my Mitsubishi ASX. It's also 4wd though so unless the snow it pretty deep it copes very well. My wife has a combination of 2 winter and 2 All Season I think due to a mix up with the last tyre change, our daughter has all season tyres like me. I think the latter are a good compromise for our climate and I've found the wear & tear OK running them all year round.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

Nothing yet here in southern Edinburgh, but that radar looks promising! 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

The last time I'd to change tyres I swapped to All Seasons on my Mitsubishi ASX. It's also 4wd though so unless the snow it pretty deep it copes very well. My wife has a combination of 2 winter and 2 All Season I think due to a mix up with the last tyre change, our daughter has all season tyres like me. I think the latter are a good compromise for our climate and I've found the wear & tear OK running them all year round.

Yeah agree, I've got allseasons too and they're also really good in surface water which was really good on my regular trips up and down the M74. They don't wear down noticeably quicker with my high mileage which is normally about 25k per year (although nowhere near that over the last 12 months!) You do lose a little bit of grip in the corners in the summer but I can put it up with it for the benifits in the wet and snow. 

A cold mostly dry night in store for here tonight but I don't think we can rule out the odd flurry getting this far south/West. 

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Precipitation has arrived here. Bad news is that is sleet freezing as it lands Some bigger flakes in it so not all lost yet. Temp 1C.

Just 3-4 miles north of you with a bit of altitude...

IMG_20210107_210345805.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
16 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Just checked outside and it's blinking raining!!! Wasn't expecting that tbh... oh well, maybe next time!

where in Perth are you? I am 6 miles outside of Perth not far from sea level and the snow flakes are quite small too. maybe the small snowflakes is the confusion? 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

where in Perth are you? I am 6 miles outside of Perth not far from sea level and the snow flakes are quite small too. maybe the small snowflakes is the confusion? 

Right in the centre of town, next to the South Inch... will go and have another check, but it was wet rather than white earlier

Yep, 100% rain... not even slightly sleety

Edited by TinyTim
Update!
  • Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Depends how much snow you get and the journeys you are doing. For me, normally I have a 25 mile commute on the B roads up to 210 metres and with a number of steep hills. Often on a marginal day, I can encounter just a few miles of snow on the higher parts and the tyres are the difference between getting up the hills or turning back and getting stuck in traffic going round the long way. For me they are worth it. 

I chew through tyres and on previous cars I put the winters on an old set of wheels. But wheels for the Focus are several hundred and with the lack of use and losing tyres to potholes, I am currently running the dodgy combination of winters on the front only. 

I’m going to go for all seasons on the wife’s Volvo. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, scottishandy said:

HI folks, not been around for a while but I thought I'd pop in while I wait for the coming shower (hopefully snow) and share some pics of Scotland, the land of snow and sun! All taken up Sheriffmuir inthe last few days, including the front arriving yesterday at sunset. Hopefully we can get through the warmer spell and enjoy some more local winter from the SSW.

DSC_0877.jpg

DSC_0893.jpg

DSC_0907.jpg

DSC_0913.jpg

DSC_0919.jpg

DSC_0927.jpg

It’s not often I say ‘wow’ out loud at the phone. Great pics. Thanks for sharing 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Very snowy here now with regular hefty snow showers coming down from the north

67C0C5FB-EB89-4594-8750-1A277F6F8682.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Light snow falling here...two days on the trot..!!!

The radar is looking favourable...that big red blob is most welcome the green sleety pish can bugger off.

2135.thumb.JPG.0ef98d21463b53dedef60ecdc4e023dc.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
2 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Depends how much snow you get and the journeys you are doing. For me, normally I have a 25 mile commute on the B roads up to 210 metres and with a number of steep hills. Often on a marginal day, I can encounter just a few miles of snow on the higher parts and the tyres are the difference between getting up the hills or turning back and getting stuck in traffic going round the long way. For me they are worth it. 

I chew through tyres and on previous cars I put the winters on an old set of wheels. But wheels for the Focus are several hundred and with the lack of use and losing tyres to potholes, I am currently running the dodgy combination of winters on the front only. 

I’m going to go for all seasons on the wife’s Volvo. 

I think all seasons sound the best. I’m only contemplating this after becoming ever more keen for winter hill walking etc. 
My commute is 55 miles each way (this will hopefully reduce but i’m 3 years in at this point) on A75 so no need. I can get from A to B rather quickly

However there’s no way i’m getting anywhere with elevation with the current tyres.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Klippie said:

Light snow falling here...two days on the trot..!!!

The radar is looking favourable...that big red blob is most welcome the green sleety pish can bugger off.

2135.thumb.JPG.0ef98d21463b53dedef60ecdc4e023dc.JPG

Snow keeps redeveloping over the S side of the Cairngorms. Could snow for several hours at a light intensity.

• Like 4

Posted

Snow on again here. Light so far but settling nicely, radar suggests heavier stuff going east of here. 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 8