Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

My nerves are still shattered at the thought of missing out on the streamers, I'm not worried about westward extent, but I can't help but think I'll miss the worst of the convective snow due to being just that wee bit too far south. I think the northern most parts of lanarkshire will fair ok, Kilsyth for example and then it looks a given that Angus, Perth and parts of Fife will be dumped on. 

Reasons to remain hopeful but with the cracking updates from @LomondSnowstorm

I reckon Tuesday evening into Wednesday will be my best chance but we shall see. Stranger things have happened I guess. 

The thing that is letting me keep the faith is the synoptic chart for the day of the Red weather warning in 2018.... A clear south of east draw from the continent albeit with a stronger flow, so many a surprise may materialise but my nerves would be far reduced if that flow just crept a bit more north of east to raise the prospects for the central belt a bit more. 

Here is the synoptic chart for the day of the red weather warning for anyone else that's jittery

Screenshot_20210206_195821_com.android.chrome.jpg

its our turn to get the big streamers , those areas you just mentioned didn't do as well during the bfte

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Forgot about the outside front door light!  At least I can see now that it's sleeting a bit amongst the rain!.  Got to get up and look out of the window though.   Not nearly as handy as the lamppost!

1.7c/1.3c/E/14mph/1017/raining with a bit of sleet mixed in/total today (so far) 10mm.

An IP camera stuck in a window, that's what you need. (Mine is actually a Raspberry Pi)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
9 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I'm with you on this - as modelled the gradient north to south across North Lanarkshire is pretty stark to the point where Coatbridge and Caldercruix are both right on the edge of it. I do think it'll be a bit less cut and dry than that given how much the bands move north/south but we'll see what happens. I will definitely be taking full advantage of the local authority plus 5 mile for exercise rule if it does work out like modelled though

Question for you and really anyone in the group. Any papers on the dynamics of snow streamers off the North Sea?

• Like 4

Posted
56 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

You're ignoring the fact that the radar is claptrap for many places.

Tell me about it, the radar has had me down for sleet and snow for most of the day.....

Sure... let's go and build a snowman

image.thumb.png.cb8e0c1bbc1ebf5de89c71f4fc129fa5.png

• Like 6

Posted
29 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

@edo..... that is making me absolutely speechless! , i just wanna like faint. 

image.jpg

I'll probably be in a gap between all the snow - the only place in the East to not see any snow at all...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
2 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Tell me about it, the radar has had me down for sleet and snow for most of the day.....

Sure... let's go and build a snowman

image.thumb.png.cb8e0c1bbc1ebf5de89c71f4fc129fa5.png

The radar has been poor to very poor regarding snow for a while now ,typical now we get the temps down and dew points good and the precipitation vanishes let's hope the snow machine has its tanks full and starts up soon 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
1 hour ago, Sawel said:

Wanna bet? There could be 2 Beasts from the East if the models are to be believed. 

Get in! ❄️

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
28 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

My nerves are still shattered at the thought of missing out on the streamers, I'm not worried about westward extent, but I can't help but think I'll miss the worst of the convective snow due to being just that wee bit too far south. I think the northern most parts of lanarkshire will fair ok, Kilsyth for example and then it looks a given that Angus, Perth and parts of Fife will be dumped on. 

Reasons to remain hopeful but with the cracking updates from @LomondSnowstorm

I reckon Tuesday evening into Wednesday will be my best chance but we shall see. Stranger things have happened I guess. 

The thing that is letting me keep the faith is the synoptic chart for the day of the Red weather warning in 2018.... A clear south of east draw from the continent albeit with a stronger flow, so many a surprise may materialise but my nerves would be far reduced if that flow just crept a bit more north of east to raise the prospects for the central belt a bit more. 

Here is the synoptic chart for the day of the red weather warning for anyone else that's jittery

Screenshot_20210206_195821_com.android.chrome.jpg

Not sure if this is a consolation or not, but I did dig up the EURO4 for the day before the red warning:

image.thumb.png.ab65c0105d1e14c648386b2c8675cfd8.png

and the reality (well for the day after that, although most of the snow did fall on the red warning day further west from what I recall):

image.thumb.png.b7584d32584b17e8f3fbbd0161ea5685.png

It wasn't too bad to be honest in distribution, but certainly underestimated depths and extent too (the map doesn't have depths for Cumbernauld for example which was completely buried).

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
29 minutes ago, drm said:

The radar has been poor to very poor regarding snow for a while now ,typical now we get the temps down and dew points good and the precipitation vanishes let's hope the snow machine has its tanks full and starts up soon 

Radar already has showers building and moving toward us so im guessing the engine is running.. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

@edo..... that is making me absolutely speechless! , i just wanna like faint. 

image.jpg

we might lose Tim to a heart attack

• Like 6

Posted
25 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

Liking the streamers symbol (convergence lines) on the latest Fax chart

streamers.png

Im liking the look of that..❄❄

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, edo said:

we might lose Tim to a heart attack

LOL! Then I'd die happy  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
2 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Radar already has showers building and moving toward us so im guessing the engine is running.. 

Indeed they are popping up now aimed more at your location for now than me ,mind you temps now at 1.4 c here it was 0.8 c earlier dp are fine though at -2c

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Im liking the look of that..❄❄

You and me both!

• Like 5

Posted

And just like that a very light snaw shower started here...❄❄

• Like 7