Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
5 minutes ago, edo said:

Have woke to it snowing and a covering did not expect that ans it is still snowing, actually looks to be lying easier than any fall this season but not been out to check it. Still only just covers the grass but third proper fall of snow... Another hour might actually mean the sledge could come out.... Should I check radar or just keep looking out the window

Was quite the opposite here. Started as sleety rain then when those yellows and oranges came through on radar dinner flakes started to mix in which became all mostly snow for a good 10 minutes or so but just about scraped a dusting here. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
14 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

A nice unexpected covering here this  morning, about 1-1/2" new stuff on top of the existing covering from last Thursday!

Nice, nice nice!!!

Jist nice

A right guid winter this has turned into

Big Innes 

Weird. It was raining here when I peered out the window at 5am and it certainly doesn't look any different out there now. Well...other than a lot wetter than it was last night. 1.7C.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
17 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

Was quite the opposite here. Started as sleety rain then when those yellows and oranges came through on radar dinner flakes started to mix in which became all mostly snow for a good 10 minutes or so but just about scraped a dusting here. 

I looked at radar for last while and looked like you had quite a heavy band go over so assumed you would have had a nice little fall, the marginality of this winter and different results small distances apart has been quite a feature. I'm guessing the heavy band later today will be rain for most of us. Further marginal chances later this week and weekend so maybe more to come for some but still no sign of a deep cold but the winter continues as winter in Scotland.

Think I will keep track now  

Football Pitch unplayable 33 days  

Edited by edo
  • Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, edo said:

I looked at radar for last while and looked like you had quite a heavy band go over so assumed you would have had a nice little fall, the marginality of this winter and different results small distances apart has been quite a feature. I'm guessing the heavy band later today will be rain for most of us. Further marginal chances later this week and weekend so maybe more to come for some but still no sign of a deep cold but the winter continues as winter in Scotland.

Think I will keep track now  

Football Pitch unplayable 33 days  

Think you might be surprised what happens this afternoon. Looking at the 0C isotherm level this morning compared to later it’s going to be a good 2-300 m lower later on.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
7 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Weird. It was raining here when I peered out the window at 5am and it certainly doesn't look any different out there now. Well...other than a lot wetter than it was last night. 1.7C.

Aye Ben!

Mrs had been up at 5am and she said that it had been Snawing quite heavy at that time! 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Another covering of the white stuff overnight. Bodes well for later on hopefully. Currently 0.1°C/-1°C. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
11 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Rain is on here and again it is just freezing to the ground. Sheet ice out there again. Just had a gritter up the street for the first time in 2 years!

10E9E68E-D632-4FB6-8968-F20F830396F7.thumb.jpeg.08513c3b594f7a53a2b9ac55ad088285.jpeg

Funny that... gritters are like hens' teeth up our street but we've had a 3 axle job and the pavement gritter AND council guys on foot chucking stuff out the grit bins on bad bits.  We're being spoilt.  Perhaps someone's realised gritting is cheaper than dozens of broken legs in A&E.

• Like 8