Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
18 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

I've seen more drama this winter in models than a lifetime on the BBC. The 6z gfs would bury us if it came off though. 

Bank!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth

It will be what it will be that's as much as I know. Some people on the model thread need to pick another hobby. The current one is taking years off their lives!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bridgeport Harrison said:

So on Tuesday we will see some snow up here but not as much as first thought ?

Looks like it'll be marginal again. I'm at around 170m but nearest forecasts are 125m and 200m. 200m has snow, 125m has sleet then rain

Posted

Que Sera Sera as they say, I have followed this site since the early days and know we have been here before, will I ever learn. What knowledge I have gleaned leads me to the following prediction, plenty of snow for us in February but will we get the severe cold to go with it, we’ll that’s a story for the future.

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Weren’t you writing off our chances yesterday?

Next run is definitely going to take all the snow South. 

It's what I do: catastrophise :D

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Rollo said:

Que Sera Sera as they say, I have followed this site since the early days and know we have been here before, will I ever learn. What knowledge I have gleaned leads me to the following prediction, plenty of snow for us in February but will we get the severe cold to go with it, we’ll that’s a story for the future.

Not really fussed on severe cold snow will do!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
13 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Not really fussed on severe cold snow will do!!!

Agree. It doesn't have to -10 outside. 20-30cm will do if it sticks around for about a week. Enough time to have some fun with the kids (missed the 1 good low level event as was at work) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Defo looking good for us end of next week onwards, not bothered about Tuesday anyway whats the point of snow to rain events I find them worse than no snow at all, and that Mod thread is a joke 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Defo looking good for us end of next week onwards, not bothered about Tuesday anyway whats the point of snow to rain events I find them worse than no snow at all, and that Mod thread is a joke 

Do you mean the southern thread?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
20 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

Do you mean the southern thread?

Yes thats exactly what it is 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Yes thats exactly what it is 

The models aren't showing a foot of snow down south so they are all crap. I think this could be a half decent spell up here

Edited by Phil Blake

Posted

Harmonie and euro 4 both going for a period of snow in the north east before turning to rain on Tuesday. Arpege is high ground only. I think it will be a high ground only event. Hopefully by next weekend we will all be seeing snow

Screenshot_20210131-185956.thumb.png.009ab117ad47e4ba54999b87390e8ce2.png

Screenshot_20210131-185846.thumb.png.1b9316d38aff3a438fe696fb24dc1b12.png

Posted

7-9 February 1991 Heavy Snowfall
A phenomenal 46cm of snow fell in Longframlington and at Fylingdales. The snow was dry and powdery, driven in by a fierce North Easterly wind. This period brought the infamous ‘wrong kind of snow’ comment by a Southern England railway employee.

DF9391FF-8C69-453F-94E1-EFE1AFC89954.jpeg

C624E5C2-183A-4C93-9C8E-CE81BB8B5781.jpeg

C683FA7D-1CB9-40D7-88AC-4E4B3AC0C21D.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Boro Snow said:

Agree snow to rain events are miserable.. also happening on a Tuesday probably worse day of the week - how miserable are Tuesdays!

Looking ahead to the weekend, 2 days of heavy snow showers banding together and no thaw followed by a cold week with snow on the ground would be excellent. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I believe this whole cold spell is dissolving into wet fart territory....as I think we all knew it would. 

Posted
Just now, Continental Climate said:

I believe this whole cold spell is dissolving into wet fart territory....as I think we all knew it would. 

Where are you getting that from? The weather doesn’t even know what it’s doing on Tuesday never mind next weekend! 

Posted
42 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

It's looking great for the north east for once. Although it might be marginal in teeside

Posted
19 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

It's looking great for the north east for once. Although it might be marginal in teeside

And darlington lol with my mighty 90 metres of elevation. I'm just a bit sick of slush fests mate to be honest. What I really want is about 3 inches of snow then a freezing fog high to preserve it all for a week. Then I will be happy with this winter. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Bridgeport Harrison said:

BBC weather on Countryfile poured scorn on the beast, possible snow for me on Tuesday in Stanley but quite mild the rest of the week, I hope its a poor forecast from them.

I'd ignore the BBC forecasts at the minute, they seem to be based entirely on the ECM operational run, which is all over the place currently.

Really solid GFS and ensembles tonight with the mean 850s hitting -10 in the NE next weekend. The ICON tonight was good too. Hopefully when we wake up in the morning the UKMO and ECM will be fully on board.

Posted
6 hours ago, Continental Climate said:

And darlington lol with my mighty 90 metres of elevation. I'm just a bit sick of slush fests mate to be honest. What I really want is about 3 inches of snow then a freezing fog high to preserve it all for a week. Then I will be happy with this winter. 

I'm only 54 metres in Chester le street. All you hear is the south has had no snow and the north has done brilliant but it's simply not true. Scotland maybe so but the rest of the north elevation has been key so far

Posted
1 hour ago, Phil Blake said:

I'm only 54 metres in Chester le street. All you hear is the south has had no snow and the north has done brilliant but it's simply not true. Scotland maybe so but the rest of the north elevation has been key so far

Well looking at the models this morning I  think by the end of the weekend the vast majority of ppl in the NE will have seen decent unmarginal snow to all levels. Hope I haven't just jinxed it