Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Cold here at -1.5C though it dipped to -2.1C, back in the town centre on the estuary facing side it's just 0.0C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

-4.0°C here now

• Like 1

Posted

All seem to be predicting at least some snow for my area.. with ICON being the least favorable. Hoping for the best.

windy.png

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

Hopefully i'll see some snow falling tomorrow for the first time this winter, cant remember seeing any last winter either! Shocking run of winters for snow here.

Yes hopefully so. Nothing marginal temp wise tomorrow any snow that falls will stick very quickly and no thaw expected, best snowfalls. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
9 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

All seem to be predicting at least some snow for my area.. with ICON being the least favorable. Hoping for the best.

windy.png

What’s that site/app called?

Edited by raul_sbd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Radar had pinks slow moving into NE Cumbria now. Expected Lancashire 9am. A full day of Snow possibly (for some) -4 out here tonight. 

Chilly. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Another day, another dusting and hopefully a more substantial fall later.

It’s turned into a decent winter spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Goodness. That front is slow moving. 
Only just reached Carlisle. Could be some quite significant accumulations. 

• Like 1

Posted

The front will fizzle out by in the next 3 or 4 hrs. Better for tomorrow with a sprinkling around imo.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
13 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Looks marginal over the next 24 hours...

Bit of height will help ...

Fingers crossed as many as possible see a dusting...

Hope day 10 is OK.

Main interest is late evening as a trough forms behind this decaying front and spreads south accross the region up to 10cm over high ground according to Carol on breakfast with snow also effecting low ground.

C.S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

We seem to have had a slight covering which has frozen, everything white and - 0.3c with the cloud cover

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

-4.8°C is the minimum here, currently -4.2. All the forecasts and the WRF  overestimated the minimum  by over 2°C so it wouldn’t surprise me if it stays much colder than they expect today; I reckon a 50% chance I could get an ice day.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Main interest is late evening as a trough forms behind this decaying front and spreads south accross the region up to 10cm over high ground according to Carol on breakfast with snow also effecting low ground.

C.S

Cheers mate I hadn't seen the forecast.

Guess it's a Now cast kinda day...

Posted

Quite a significant dusting of something out there this morning which I think is frost although it seems more like snow. On every surface about 3 mm thick.

• Like 4

Posted

Snowing extremely lightly since about 7am. Even though it’s getting light you still have to look at a lamppost to see it. Seems to be the way this cold spell. Had 3 or 4 micro falls whilst a mile or so east the Pennines are buried. BBC forecast seems to suggest it’s going to snow most of the day here before it eases and then picks up heavier again in the evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Beautiful frosty morning, coldest for some time.

IMG_20210107_080538024.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Radar says it should be snowing, yet nothing here right now. We are on the edge of the current front, it looks like most of it is hitting E Cumbria. There is more snow over SW Scotland, let's see if it too breaks up when it hits Cumbria. A day of radar watching.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

Hopefully this front will deliver the the snow starved parts of the region . Definitely potential for falls for most going by all the options this morning, the 6z runs will hopefully firm things up but I'm guessing it's a radar - and window - watching kinda day.

For me this spell has been special, definitely the best spell since 2010...for me better than BFTE in 2018.  Yes, that was cool to experience but not loads of snow and came to an abrupt end. I have said before, all I want is time to enjoy the snow, be on the floor for me to enjoy the crunch, the smell, the colours of the sky, twilight, go sledging...and this spell delivered all and still is.  I will say that obviously 2010 was special but for me - back in Crewe then - we were in a snow bowl and all the big falls happened to our west, east, north and south! haha. We has some but this week for me (yes on higher ground) has been deeper.

These pics were taken from my walk last night and the sights round me were stunning in the dusk/twilight.  The snow has been on the floor for nearly 9 days and yes it's melted in the normal spots but considering the big thaws on the odd day the scene in most places is a wintery one. The snow has been covered in frost and lots of mini dustings from the odd shower this week and the local pond/lake has frozen over.

20210106_163727.thumb.jpg.9f84afec657dc4ed05c5ef4f748fb141.jpg20210106_164657.thumb.jpg.ac30a3b3e23fe14b3203610e88571274.jpg20210106_165045.thumb.jpg.59988ceee5e7b3d252a5419a7e91210e.jpg20210106_165306.thumb.jpg.03c2ef63c92982ccb3a94d5f7c11f5c8.jpg

This is my view as typing...

20210107_082006.thumb.jpg.b73ff38e60a85559523afa1ecd939ce4.jpg

Really hope everyone gets some luck the next few days - and beyond. And I hope Day 10 -and wife- feels better ASAP.

Here's to a busy few days on here!! 

Nice photos. Just goes to show that you don’t need a lot of snow or mega cold to have a nice wintery spell. If you got lucky with one of the heavier earlier snow falls in this spell, like some places inland in the south of our region did, then you’ve had a good little cold snap. Up here we haven’t had a lot of snow at low levels, and what has fallen has been so thin it’s generally melted in the day, but it’s been beautiful on the fells with a lot of crisp days.

• Like 1