Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Bit of light snow now showing on WRF for Saturday morning. Doesn’t go out to Sunday yet.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc
2 hours ago, Snow free zone said:

Chris. We had a decent fall on several nights in the early 2010s. Memory a bit fuzzy but it caused a bitt of a stir as it was the heaviest snow round here for many years. I had some photos and on flat ground we had a good depth. I'll try and find them. We had more than 3cm here one Christmas day as well from heavy showers from a cold nw feed. 1998 ... just missed the Feb 1996 event as well. 

Did you or do you remember the day & night that December 2010 when it rained and thawed more or less fully?

We'd just got back from Edinburgh after our honeymoon (4 nights in Dunkeld, 3 nights at The Scotsman in Edinburgh); fantastic time to have the honeymoon up there as the weather was superb and wintery/snowy. More so up the A9 Dunkeld/Pitlochry & House of Bruar way

Drove home and there was no snow to be seen at all after Annandale services; the tops in The Lakes were dusted but that's about it. We only just got out of Edinburgh as they shut the motorway more or less to the M74 (thank goodness for my wifes derv Ford Focus and it's skinny tyres); it drove down the Royal Mile in 2nd gear with no issues; lots of Mercs, BMWs and Audi's literally abandoned haha 

Around the 1st week of Dec is froze really hard and there was some light snow; went to Leyland on a Sunday to see the sis in law and her family and it was raining. All ice & snow gone... Got there about 12'ish and aimed to leave around 8pm...

Got out to the car; it was frozen solid with clear, thick rock-hard ice! Took an age to clear, more so as in the wifes Focus again and that never got hot unless taken on a long run (my Integra DC5 was still having it's engine built at that time (supercharger etc). Managed to defrost it, got home and went to bed. Woke up the Monday morning and it'd dropped overnight; really heavy snow in Walton le Dale, because it'd frozen so hard it obviously stuck and the roads were lethal underfoot.

I'd been running my business from home for around 12 months then, so took the wife into work (the Uni) and came back in the derv and it was a sketchy drive haha  Popped into see my folks (Cuerdale Lane way) and only just managed to get up Church Brow etc...

We had snow on the ground then right through until Boxing Day IIRc; it snowed a bit overnight Christmas Eve, but none at all Christmas Day; a great day to walk to my folks for Christmas etc...

• Like 1

Posted

On another note I'm an overgrown child in the snow   

Love to be out in it and the wife goes mental, more so if we're up in Dunkeld (my folks have property there) and I want to head up the A9 to the hills or Cairngorms way (that's why I always run winter alloys & tyres on my cars)!

Feb 2020 was great; plenty of snow up there. I'm into powerlifting/weightlifting/stone lifting & strongman etc; so took advantage on the Tuesday of the week we were there whilst the weather was calm to get to Dalwhinnie to lift one of the Manhood stones. It wasn't snowing at Dunkeld; it was at Dalwhinnie

I dug it out of 3ft of snow  

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Dan B said:

Did you or do you remember the day & night that December 2010 when it rained and thawed more or less fully?

We'd just got back from Edinburgh after our honeymoon (4 nights in Dunkeld, 3 nights at The Scotsman in Edinburgh); fantastic time to have the honeymoon up there as the weather was superb and wintery/snowy. More so up the A9 Dunkeld/Pitlochry & House of Bruar way

Drove home and there was no snow to be seen at all after Annandale services; the tops in The Lakes were dusted but that's about it. We only just got out of Edinburgh as they shut the motorway more or less to the M74 (thank goodness for my wifes derv Ford Focus and it's skinny tyres); it drove down the Royal Mile in 2nd gear with no issues; lots of Mercs, BMWs and Audi's literally abandoned haha 

Around the 1st week of Dec is froze really hard and there was some light snow; went to Leyland on a Sunday to see the sis in law and her family and it was raining. All ice & snow gone... Got there about 12'ish and aimed to leave around 8pm...

Got out to the car; it was frozen solid with clear, thick rock-hard ice! Took an age to clear, more so as in the wifes Focus again and that never got hot unless taken on a long run (my Integra DC5 was still having it's engine built at that time (supercharger etc). Managed to defrost it, got home and went to bed. Woke up the Monday morning and it'd dropped overnight; really heavy snow in Walton le Dale, because it'd frozen so hard it obviously stuck and the roads were lethal underfoot.

I'd been running my business from home for around 12 months then, so took the wife into work (the Uni) and came back in the derv and it was a sketchy drive haha  Popped into see my folks (Cuerdale Lane way) and only just managed to get up Church Brow etc...

We had snow on the ground then right through until Boxing Day IIRc; it snowed a bit overnight Christmas Eve, but none at all Christmas Day; a great day to walk to my folks for Christmas etc...

Yes I had forgot that, can't remember where but I do remember the car set solid in ice.   My abiding memory of 2010 is the noise of huge chunks of ice floating down the ribble and hitting the old penwortham bridge.  I remember thinking at the time this might be a once in a lifetime event. Hope I'm wrong but I still think it might be. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Bit of light snow now showing on WRF for Saturday morning. Doesn’t go out to Sunday yet.

ECM backing this up, infact it's looking more moderate than light.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

WOW ECM

That is one snow event on Saturday for our region only 3 days away what could possibly go wrong

C.S

Edited by cheshire snow
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Yes I had forgot that, can't remember where but I do remember the car set solid in ice.   My abiding memory of 2010 is the noise of huge chunks of ice floating down the ribble and hitting the old penwortham bridge.  I remember thinking at the time this might be a once in a lifetime event. Hope I'm wrong but I still think it might be. 

Remember that too...

We had a great walk down through the village and into Avenham via Tram Bridge (them were the days)  and remember seeing Ribble 'Bergs floating... So odd to see

• Like 1

Posted

How accurate is this: 

WWW.THEWEATHEROUTLOOK.COM

Snowfall forecast charts for Great Britain derived from the high resolution GFS and GEFS model. Deterministic and ensemble available.

Shows snow for us Saturday and Monday 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

WOW ECM

That is one snow event on Saturday for our region only 3 days away what could possibly go wrong

C.S

Sunday too  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Bloody hell it’s hard to work out what’s going on. 
So many wedges and battleground scenarios I can’t keep up. 
Sat looks too far South. 
Sunday seems to have disappeared

Another chance Monday and Tuesday. ???

Posted
6 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Bloody hell it’s hard to work out what’s going on. 
So many wedges and battleground scenarios I can’t keep up. 
Sat looks too far South. 
Sunday seems to have disappeared

Another chance Monday and Tuesday. ???

Eh? What mod thread you looking at? 

Posted

We need a northerner model thread, I’m so close to getting in trouble at the IMBYism in the main one.

• Like 3

Posted

3C863E98-6496-44CB-AED9-9840D0F2082E.thumb.png.45c431efaaf209adde8c344ee39f5717.png

45E2B0DA-695A-499A-9DCE-4A00DAAB95FD.thumb.png.4fd410c62eab8e0ea5e7a411fe225650.png

A0A4C059-10CA-491C-BE3E-CFF8559C8D3B.thumb.png.743e6ca4b2de5ea3c0f83d508e8acd42.png

E7731780-39E2-43C0-85AB-3417CE1E24CE.thumb.png.04c346d14a1054550c6d5e916f4b3b1b.png

C20A3AA9-6482-4976-A982-F535655A7D5C.thumb.png.1a2f538b214ed34ed089cae55d5a2b49.png

F7274FDF-C839-44A4-BE4A-396FE3CF175B.thumb.png.86665c90611cfeb6aa58a3545b63b804.png

Take your pick ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Posted
4 hours ago, Joe Snow said:

Crewe has its own mini micro climate when it comes to snow I think! Mixture of a mini urban heat island effect and Crewe & Nantwich being sheltered more by Bickerton Hill and the Welsh hills to the west/ NW. The difference in snow cover can sometimes be quite dramatic especially in a NW/ NNW scenario like early January 2010 where Stockport got close to a ft of snow where Crewe managed only about 5cm. Even here in Sandbach 5 miles down the road we got 10cm. The mind boggles! ❄️ South Cheshire has done pretty well though this Winter so far to be fair. Hope we can all squeeze some more snow out of it come February! ❄️⛄️ 

I'm sure @CreweCold can back me up but that famous night in January 2010 when part of Manchester etc got a ft of snow was from a front moving south.  From my memory it was the WNW winds that proceeded it that made the difference. Lots of the region got plastered by streams of showers but due to the wind direction the south of the region (CREWE!! haha) got minimal from those so only had the 5cm from the front.  So even places a tad more east or north did a lot better 'pre-front' then Crewe,  That's why 2010 was an amazing period to experience, in Crewe snow wise it wasn't off the charts so to speak. Some beautiful falls but nothing too deep.

Also all the talk of Feb 91. I was in primary school and remember it well. It started snowing in the day, pure powder snow blowing about on dry ground. Never seen snow stick on every surface midday, normally it has crept above zero so doesn't stick to the road or roofs etc...but I remember it falling like dust and slowly blowing about on the ground. Was there for AGES. We had to build flat snowmen in our street as the snow was too dry.

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

3C863E98-6496-44CB-AED9-9840D0F2082E.thumb.png.45c431efaaf209adde8c344ee39f5717.png

45E2B0DA-695A-499A-9DCE-4A00DAAB95FD.thumb.png.4fd410c62eab8e0ea5e7a411fe225650.png

A0A4C059-10CA-491C-BE3E-CFF8559C8D3B.thumb.png.743e6ca4b2de5ea3c0f83d508e8acd42.png

E7731780-39E2-43C0-85AB-3417CE1E24CE.thumb.png.04c346d14a1054550c6d5e916f4b3b1b.png

C20A3AA9-6482-4976-A982-F535655A7D5C.thumb.png.1a2f538b214ed34ed089cae55d5a2b49.png

F7274FDF-C839-44A4-BE4A-396FE3CF175B.thumb.png.86665c90611cfeb6aa58a3545b63b804.png

Take your pick ??‍♂️??‍♂️

I'll have t48 you missed out plus t144  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I've said this before on here a few months back but what a year 2010 was for cold & snow. A very cold and often very snowy start then later winter was quick out the blocks in late November leading to that bitter snowy December. The following January and February we're a bit mediocre but that was probably a price to pay for that crazy December. I think overall 2010 was a colder than normal year CET wise as I don't remember the summer standing out as being a good one.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
1 hour ago, Dan B said:

On another note I'm an overgrown child in the snow   

Love to be out in it and the wife goes mental, more so if we're up in Dunkeld (my folks have property there) and I want to head up the A9 to the hills or Cairngorms way (that's why I always run winter alloys & tyres on my cars)!

Feb 2020 was great; plenty of snow up there. I'm into powerlifting/weightlifting/stone lifting & strongman etc; so took advantage on the Tuesday of the week we were there whilst the weather was calm to get to Dalwhinnie to lift one of the Manhood stones. It wasn't snowing at Dunkeld; it was at Dalwhinnie

I dug it out of 3ft of snow  

I love the snow on weekends only when I don't have to go anywhere and can't wait to go out to play

Then Monday when I'm back at work I'm moaning wanting it to go

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
12 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

I love the snow on weekends only when I don't have to go anywhere and can't wait to go out to play

Then Monday when I'm back at work I'm moaning wanting it to go

No way, perfect excuse to be late for work

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, I Cumbria Marra I said:

No way, perfect excuse to be late for work

Haha not for me I'd get a warning 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Met Update

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Occasional rain and hill snow on Friday. Fine on Saturday with frost early and late. Sunday starting dry and cold, but a risk of snow later.

Positive - No marginality in that

Just need it to get here now.

Haven’t seen any forecasts or charts today so purely guesswork but I’d go for a Southerly tracking system with The M56 once again being the northern limit of anything other than scraps.

Posted

Just seen forecast, heavy rain most of the north west tonight, tomorrow. No sign of anything for weekend. Colder and dry 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Having seen the MOD thread and the page counter shooting up as fast as the second hand, I will advise we keep our feet on the ground.

Yes, law of averages says that we should get a good slice of the action but, when it comes into range from Saturday and most of next week, will it get watered down or frozen up.

Its certainly eye candy and I wish all of us who like snow, to get what we crave.

• Like 6