Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
2 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Light dusting of snow here, an isolated shower has passed through 

Hi Joe, yes I saw somewhere that some showers might pop up before the front?

Anyways, was wondering what radar people use?  On my phone I like the MetO App as you can whizz through the radar so fast to see trends etc on my laptop I like the Netweather one as you can postcode zoom (and I like the colours of the different rainfall rates...easy to see ). 

Any other recommendations?

• Like 1

Posted

BBC app showing Heavy snow showers tomorrow, light snow later on today.  Could be interesting...

Posted

Beautiful frosty morning walk with my boys! Not been a bad winter here.

20210107_083545.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Clouding over - Radar has Sleet for the Fylde.

Posted

Just got to work it's chilly out there! Carol seemed keen on breakfast telly earlier, she said 10cm on the pennines. Let's see if the met office come on board with a new warning later. Also, were these Irish sea showers forecast? Didn't expect any ppn till the afternoon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
12 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

Hopefully this front will deliver the the snow starved parts of the region . Definitely potential for falls for most going by all the options this morning, the 6z runs will hopefully firm things up but I'm guessing it's a radar - and window - watching kinda day.

For me this spell has been special, definitely the best spell since 2010...for me better than BFTE in 2018.  Yes, that was cool to experience but not loads of snow and came to an abrupt end. I have said before, all I want is time to enjoy the snow, be on the floor for me to enjoy the crunch, the smell, the colours of the sky, twilight, go sledging...and this spell delivered all and still is.  I will say that obviously 2010 was special but for me - back in Crewe then - we were in a snow bowl and all the big falls happened to our west, east, north and south! haha. We has some but this week for me (yes on higher ground) has been deeper.

These pics were taken from my walk last night and the sights round me were stunning in the dusk/twilight.  The snow has been on the floor for nearly 9 days and yes it's melted in the normal spots but considering the big thaws on the odd day the scene in most places is a wintery one. The snow has been covered in frost and lots of mini dustings from the odd shower this week and the local pond/lake has frozen over.

20210106_163727.thumb.jpg.9f84afec657dc4ed05c5ef4f748fb141.jpg20210106_164657.thumb.jpg.ac30a3b3e23fe14b3203610e88571274.jpg20210106_165045.thumb.jpg.59988ceee5e7b3d252a5419a7e91210e.jpg20210106_165306.thumb.jpg.03c2ef63c92982ccb3a94d5f7c11f5c8.jpg

This is my view as typing...

20210107_082006.thumb.jpg.b73ff38e60a85559523afa1ecd939ce4.jpg

Really hope everyone gets some luck the next few days - and beyond. And I hope Day 10 -and wife- feels better ASAP.

Here's to a busy few days on here!! 

For me this was a slightly above average cold spell but nothing compared to BFTE.

During the BFTE my road was closed for three days and people were carrying food parcels to the stranded motorists on the 62 and others stuck nearby. We spoke to a pregnant woman who had been in her car for 24 hours trying to get from Carlisle to Leeds.

It has been a pleasant cold spell but not a memorable one for me.

• Like 1

Posted

Don't always trust the radar, as said it has shown we should have had half hour light snow by now, nothing so far and the skies are not especially cloudy, very milky skies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

D31710C6-3736-4695-B242-8E0772F611BA.thumb.png.73250d173d07ca3737abcf2a3eeeab21.png

Should be snow if it makes it. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, seasider said:

-1c on the Fylde Coast, and guess what.. Raining

Lol.

Posted

Ice Pellet Sleetiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Still -5c everything still and calm 

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Very light RAIN fgs, frosty too.

Posted

Hit -5C in the wee hours. Now snowing very lightly, expecting the usual  light dusting as is typical from this cold spell. 

This has nothing on the BFTE here, can't get much better than gale force winds, deep drifts and ice days. Let's hope the SSW brings its return. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mountain Snow said:

Hit -5C in the wee hours. Now snowing very lightly, expecting the usual  light dusting as is typical from this cold spell. 

This has nothing on the BFTE here, can't get much better than gale force winds, deep drifts and ice days. Let's hope the SSW brings its return. 

Overcast here and radar still showing pink, but we have had not one snowflake. What is happening?

Posted

The tiny pink blob hit Bacup and we had a light shower. Still falling very lightly and more lining up heading this way at the moment!

Posted

Well underwhelming radar, underwhelming reports from this region and in Scotland and quite frankley rather sums up this spell of weather. 

It's been an okay chilly snap but given the synotopics on offer, it should of been alot better than it was. Lack of significant cold although ironically the coldest uppers of the spell may head into Scotland tomorrow but no PPN! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Is this a case of the precipitation evaporating before it reaches the ground due to dryness of the air?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Some interesting variation last night in terms of temperature across the Wirral peninsula. As expected the northwest coast had lows of 0C to -1C (west Kirby, Caldy and parts of Heswall), the south some harsh frost, -5C in Parkgate and Neston for example. Also the eastern side around Bebington, Brombrough etc was around -3C to -4C.

The big surprise was almost -7C recorded in inland Wallasey, and generally the north coast had -4C to -5C so very cold for the peninsula but also some massive differences in relatively short distances.

Posted
8 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Some interesting variation last night in terms of temperature across the Wirral peninsula. As expected the northwest coast had lows of 0C to -1C (west Kirby, Caldy and parts of Heswall), the south some harsh frost, -5C in Parkgate and Neston for example. Also the eastern side around Bebington, Brombrough etc was around -3C to -4C.

The big surprise was almost -7C recorded in inland Wallasey, and generally the north coast had -4C to -5C so very cold for the peninsula but also some massive differences in relatively short distances.

Those are cold numbers for the Wirral for sure, being from Bebington originally I can remember pretty much always being  disappointed by the lack of cold compared to everywhere around us, with a few well known about years in the 80's and 90's of course.