Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Yorkshire and E England regional thread 30 Dec 2020 onwards

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry guys. My mums still in a really bad way. I just wanted to post to quickly say tonight in my opinin is being underestimated. The trend today has been to keep the front as all snow

Around 50cm has fallen across the highest parts of the North York Moors yesterday. Went for a walk this morning at Newgate Bank. Around 30cm of fresh powdery snow underfoot and quite difficult to

Last one from me, great day...just stopped now so 11 hours of snow 👍👏👏 Hope those that missed out get some soon 🤞👍  

Posted Images

Posted
    13 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Fax chart for saturday is a beauty, UKMO sticking all guns blazing in with there own model it would seem. 1167347682_BRAEU_120(1).thumb.gif.7f2ff5897f59fb0e95eda20311d11c8e.gif

Pardon my ignorance @Harsh Climate strong easterly flow full of moisture/ possibly white floating down moisture??

Posted

ECM BOOM for Yorkshire 

Screenshot_20210202-183215_Gallery.thumb.jpg.34881af6ba5ec9c26f11e1af4e3ded34.jpg

• Like 9
    Posted

Gets even better! UPGRADE FOR YORKSHIRE

*Sorry getting a little excited 🤣*

DC6BAC23-DA8B-4914-A90C-74301E9FF008.png.dc7b24f937664f7002b0813688363890.png

• Like 8
    Posted
    6 minutes ago, Craigers said:

ECM BOOM for Yorkshire 

Screenshot_20210202-183215_Gallery.thumb.jpg.34881af6ba5ec9c26f11e1af4e3ded34.jpg

Is perfect for our region isn't it 😱😁

Maye a tad more marginal for south east england but we stuck in feed of heavy snow showers, temperatures right side of marginal without question!

Edited by Harsh Climate
    • Like 4
    Posted
    19 minutes ago, Adam lufc said:

this poor snow getting iniyalated by rain not the temp! not seen this befire with such eavy rain 😞

Yes it's a bit depressing having rain with 1C after a decent snowfall but it was another good snowday. At least there is great potential ahead. 

I'm not complaining though! Since I moved to Harrogate before Christmas I've seen already 3-4 good snow events. 

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Is perfect for our region isn't it 😱😁

Maye a tad more marginal for south east england but we stuck in feed of heavy snow showers, temperatures right side of marginal without question!

Basically Yorkshire sweet spot 

• Like 2
    Posted

Tweet from Sheffield’s Weston Park weather station from a few weeks ago.

So officially Sheffield has had 2cm, 13cm and on another tweet they confirmed 10cm this morning. So a total of 25cm so far this winter....not bad and judging by ECM that may double!!! 
    I’m sure Bradford, Leeds and certainly Harrogate have had significantly more but it’s good to see official data. 👍

41B35969-7C0C-4E6B-B6ED-9468FEF14177.jpeg

• Like 2
    Posted
    33 minutes ago, Adam lufc said:

RIP SIR TOM MOORE! SO MUCH TO THE NHS N YET THIS BLASTED VIRUS KILLED HIM.

TOP LAD. BLESS HIM.

Legend. Another Keighley lad 👌

• Like 3
    Posted

Being right on the south Yorkshire/Notts border I'm hoping for a slight shift south, which tbh could happen as normally does, as being in the east Midlands I feel this could make the difference of a covering and a dumping. That it purely an IMBYism though. 

60m inland I think we could see a truly massive event unfolding and it's getting hard to contain the excitement now.....

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and blizzards 👍
    4 minutes ago, Mikey Skins said:

Being right on the south Yorkshire/Notts border I'm hoping for a slight shift south, which tbh could happen as normally does, as being in the east Midlands I feel this could make the difference of a covering and a dumping. That it purely an IMBYism though. 

60m inland I think we could see a truly massive event unfolding and it's getting hard to contain the excitement now.....

Same here, I'm in shirebrook and hoping for the low to move south 50-100 miles 👍

• Like 1
    Posted

Still plenty of snow left after the heavy rain.

20210202_191938.thumb.jpg.b2f7390f11353e0d8e48b4294327ee3b.jpg

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Even a 100 miles shift south at weekend will keep us in a high impact area, even with the variations of the easterly been further north on some runs. So I won't be disheartened of  a 100 mile shift south of that depression on sunday, as we would still firmly primed for convection, the boundary is right up to scotland, so any trends south still gives us a strong chance of some amazing conditions I think.

Of course for an IMBY point of view id still happily bank that run for us haha🤣

Anyone got the 240 hour ecm snow chart? Thank you

One last thing for the experts, do the ecm snow charts take into account of convection accumalations? From what I have heard in past, not a lot of models do or at least not till nearer the very short term frames?

Also does convection show on ecm over our region? I may or think I heard for that you need -10 uppers or some other anomaly etc to go with it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
    10 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

Even a 100 miles shift south at weekend will keep us in a high impact area, even with the variations of the easterly been further north on some runs. So I won't be disheartened of  a 100 mile shift south of that depression on sunday, as we would still firmly primed for convection, the boundary is right up to scotland, so any trends south still gives us a strong chance of some amazing conditions I think.

One last thing for the experts, do the ecm snow charts take into account of convection accumalations? From what I have heard in past, not a lot of models do or at least not till nearer the very short term frames?

Also does convection show on ecm over our region? I may or think I heard for that you need -10 uppers or some other anomaly etc to go with it?

@Snowjokes92 Here you go...

56DE9D90-0402-480C-A32D-A3C40F963792.jpeg

2523487C-3E98-4411-8A8E-BD422CA31292.jpeg

Edited by SouthYorks
    • Like 2
    Posted
    39 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

Come to Yorkshire 👌👌👌👌

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

Whats the depths after that event. Surely some places on that run get 50cm easy!

• Like 1
    Posted
    16 minutes ago, Snowjokes92 said:

They don't usually unless its super res 1.4km models 

Edited by Craigers
    • Like 1
    Posted
    9 minutes ago, SouthYorks said:

Here you go...

56DE9D90-0402-480C-A32D-A3C40F963792.jpeg

Thank you I dont take them too seriously, but all the more reason to be happy with that. Win win, these things usually move around closer to time. Id rather it show highest impact to the north east for now, as I have a feeling models will shift it a little south. A lot can go wrong ive learned a few days out, when your area shows the highest totals. Think id be anxious if it had that 60cm anomaly slap bang over yorkshire at this point. Still nice to see though. 

Also remember impact varies more than them charts show i think personally.

Edited by Snowjokes92
    • Like 4
    Posted

Bad runs tonight for the east coast, looks like areas to the north and west of this region will do well if we don't see any more shifts north.

Edited by Matt Jones
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Some gusty winds to blow that snow around come Saturday through Sunday. Could be nasty in exposed spots especially. 

Posted

Good to see everyone buzzing for next weekend in here tonight, even though I'm just outside Yorkshire in gods county, i still think this thread best fits my location. 

Cant beat a good easterly! 

• Like 4
    Posted

I just took a peak in south/south east thread! Jeez its like the model output thread part 2 in there! I am so glad everyone is pleasant in here. Everyone is easy to get on with and agrees to disagrees. No toy throwing chaos like the model thread! Everyone helps and gives as much knowledge as they can to help me and many others.  Which I am very grateful for.

If things go wrong, we just accept. It can be incredibly frusrating, but I feel its borderline personal with some people on here when things don't go the way they want it to go.

They get the heat in summer down in the south,we miss out all the time on the extreme impact of the heat(aware its not for everyone). Swings and roundabouts I suppose🤭

Its the weather at end of day. Its beyond are control and sometimes more complex than a weather model can ever know.

Edited by Snowjokes92
    • Like 6