Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
10 minutes ago, Slysi100 said:

Quiet in here this morning.

Heavy rain in Barnsley gonna last all day by the looks. Anyone live in the Hebden Bridge area? Wonder how things are looking in that neck of the woods? 

We seem to be coping?

The old road bridge ,here in Mytholmroyd, appeared to have been quite a 'pinch point' for the river with areas upstream of us 'backing up' over floody days leading to overspill

With the channel widening and the new '2 span' road bridge issues both here and upstream seem much better (including Hebden water where it joins the Calder?)

The problem comes when you get downstream of us?

If we are pushing greater volumes down channel what happen to sites receiving that greater volume???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yup you just move the issue elsewhere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL

how do you get the forecast level onto there ? mine only shows current

image.thumb.png.0ea118f7466aeb0e30b26daf68fd680d.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Rain just on and off here East of Rotherham, odd heavy burst but not torrential like it looks on radar further West. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
37 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

We seem to be coping?

The old road bridge ,here in Mytholmroyd, appeared to have been quite a 'pinch point' for the river with areas upstream of us 'backing up' over floody days leading to overspill

With the channel widening and the new '2 span' road bridge issues both here and upstream seem much better (including Hebden water where it joins the Calder?)

The problem comes when you get downstream of us?

If we are pushing greater volumes down channel what happen to sites receiving that greater volume???

The volume of water remains the same especially in the Calder valley. The work at Mytholmroyd was to allow that volume to move more efficiently and thus reduce the issues there at upstream at Hebden. This will be helped once the storage schemes above Hebden get built. The Flood Risk Assessments take account of the effect downstream

• Like 1

Posted

Been torrential the rain for the past hour here you can see why 

9CDE0D66-B1F6-4569-BBF3-61E8B21FC06C.png

Edited by Love Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Warning updated for transition to snow this evening. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

Warning updated for transition to snow this evening. 

Looking at radar it's looking wintry over South of Ireland and even more so over Scotland. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, jonboy said:

The volume of water remains the same especially in the Calder valley. The work at Mytholmroyd was to allow that volume to move more efficiently and thus reduce the issues there at upstream at Hebden. This will be helped once the storage schemes above Hebden get built. The Flood Risk Assessments take account of the effect downstream

I am getting reports now from as far downstream as Mirfield noting faster surge & higher totals over recent months (the bridge went live in early summer and a huge chunk of river bank removed so as to open up the second span of the new bridge so Volume of channel both before and after the bridge is possibly 3 fold on what it was?)

Hebden seem to be clearing their waters esp. Hebden water where it joins the Calder?

Speeding up drainage from Hebden too just beyond our new bridge must surely put more water in the channel downstream compared to when it was constricted?

Anyhow, it's their problem now I suppose?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
7 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I am getting reports now from as far downstream as Mirfield noting faster surge & higher totals over recent months (the bridge went live in early summer and a huge chunk of river bank removed so as to open up the second span of the new bridge so Volume of channel both before and after the bridge is possibly 3 fold on what it was?)

Hebden seem to be clearing their waters esp. Hebden water where it joins the Calder?

Speeding up drainage from Hebden too just beyond our new bridge must surely put more water in the channel downstream compared to when it was constricted?

Anyhow, it's their problem now I suppose?

The Ship Inn Mirfield.... Again

IMG-20210120-WA0000.jpg

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Craigers said:

River Don is getting close to being bad on forecast  

Screenshot_20210120-110742_Chrome.thumb.jpg.56a79293e04be5e946485834b3857c91.jpg

From here I can see that the banks that are usually 2 to 3 feet above the river level are almost being breached.

Luckily, we're far enough up the valley to not be affected if they do.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Showers still off and on here with a few short heavy ones now 14mm since midnight

I see Don is starting to drop on the latest update.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 3

Posted

Our Top flood warden just posted on the New Bridge here in 'royd;

"I have checked the level of water in the river at the new bridge site in Mytholmroyd and is interesting to see the difference widening the channel has done. It looks like it has done the trick but we will see over the years to come how it performs in reducing the Flood Risk for the village."

I tell you if we ever get an event to overtop us here at the bridge site there will have already been catastrophe's a plenty downstream of us!!!

Posted
18 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

Our Top flood warden just posted on the New Bridge here in 'royd;

"I have checked the level of water in the river at the new bridge site in Mytholmroyd and is interesting to see the difference widening the channel has done. It looks like it has done the trick but we will see over the years to come how it performs in reducing the Flood Risk for the village."

I tell you if we ever get an event to overtop us here at the bridge site there will have already been catastrophe's a plenty downstream of us!!!

Further down is being effected 

B0D447D2-2C16-4673-A2CC-0ED15170A601.png

13065BFB-BA0A-4AAE-94AA-6373DF661AD5.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, fazzafarrand said:

Further down is being effected 

B0D447D2-2C16-4673-A2CC-0ED15170A601.png

13065BFB-BA0A-4AAE-94AA-6373DF661AD5.png

This was mooted as the 'result' of our works in every meeting I attended

It seems logical if you allow twice the volume through a stretch of river than previous then all ports downstream will struggle with the extra volumes that's being exported?

Sadly the works were near overtopped in last years flooding but it appears, now, that this was due to the amount of works still needing completion forming extra 'dams' from Hebden to 'Royd?

Now the heavy pulses of persistent rain have not troubled the gauge here in the way it has downstream?

I'm sorry you've inherited our problem Fazza!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

This was mooted as the 'result' of our works in every meeting I attended

It seems logical if you allow twice the volume through a stretch of river than previous then all ports downstream will struggle with the extra volumes that's being exported?

Sadly the works were near overtopped in last years flooding but it appears, now, that this was due to the amount of works still needing completion forming extra 'dams' from Hebden to 'Royd?

Now the heavy pulses of persistent rain have not troubled the gauge here in the way it has downstream?

I'm sorry you've inherited our problem Fazza!

Fortunately for me personally it’s my stretch of river I fish and won’t effect me personally as it’s not my doorstep but changing something upstream would obviously change something downstream 

• Like 1

Posted

You can see the colder air cutting down the western fringes of england now. Suprisingly just 4c in blackpool. Less than half the temperature here in Otley (9.6C). Not often you see that in winter!

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest gfs gives us a very small window of opportunity for snow tonight, you have to use the hourly viewer to really see it lol.

The far west of yorkshire most at risk, extending further north and east into north and east yorkshire in the early hours. 

Not expecting much to have settled and be left by morning, but certainly could give an exciting couple of hours with very heavy snowfall dropping a couple of inches in that time. Most at risk of this heavy stuff western parts of west and south yorkshire tonight. I expect the snow over north and east yorkshire to be much lighter in nature but possibly a better qualityof snow and not as wet as western parts may experience. 

I still go with my snow forecast totals I made yesterday, but could be some temporary higher accumulations in a few isolated areas. Obviously altitude could be the deal breaker.

GFSOPUK12_10_53.png

GFSOPUK12_12_53.png

GFSOPUK12_13_53.png

GFSOPUK12_14_53.png

GFSOPUK12_15_53.png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted

EY UPS

image.thumb.png.fb00f4b56e1cdb4c058df60501190e1b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, fazzafarrand said:

Fortunately for me personally it’s my stretch of river I fish and won’t effect me personally as it’s not my doorstep but changing something upstream would obviously change something downstream 

The 'works' have created a perfect 'cobbled' bank for Fly Fishing from (& access into the channel?) for Son and I!

We have some deep water channels to go at, some areas of rapids plus the deep whirlpool where the tributary meets with the main channel!

I reckon we can now go after both Brown Trout & Grayling 50m from Home! (& to our hearts content!!!...... ) there's always a Silver lining if you look hard enough!

• Like 1

Posted

This is the problem these schemes are having. Flooding in Doncaster used to be rare now it seems like any sort of rain issue causes flooding locally here and also north of Doncaster towards Selby, snaith etc.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, winterof79 said:

The Ship Inn Mirfield.... Again

IMG-20210120-WA0000.jpg

They're planning on building homes further back up Steanard lane towards Lower Hopton.

I'm glad the defenses are working in the Calder Valley, SB is ok at the moment too. A customer of ours is on the stretch which usually floods, which backs onto the Ryburn.

• Like 2