Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, IDO said:

So the op moving towards the ecm, which looks better up to d10?

The 0z op looks better than the 6z IMO, significant spells in FI of non-marginal uppers with big snow events, 6z not going to end well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
20 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The rain arrives with the positive Dp’s. Any convective showers early next week ahead of the rain could well be of a wintry nature and even potentially snowy. But at the moment, the arrival of the proper precip is in conjunction with some less cold air both aloft and at the surface. As others have said, this could change but not what the models currently show ... we can’t see what Ukmo is hiding beyond heights and uppers ! 

Thanks. OK, but that didn’t seem to be a problem for many areas this week when starting upper temps and dew points were less favourable? I thought that one of the headlines from this morning’s runs was that the South Eastern Mediterranean feed responsible for the less cold easterly had been cut off in favour of  South Eastern Europe or even further north than that depending on the model responsible.

Also, isn’t this going to become a recurring issue when looking at charts that appear to be getting all the high bar criteria set for snow and then the precipitation arrives with its mild sector and knocks everything below the bar again?

Edited by The Enforcer
Managed to edit rather than reply to myself this time.
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

If I had a pound for every time I've read that!...fact is cold getting slightly less cold with a possibility of it getting colder again is closer to the mark, looking at Day 9/10...although both 0Z GFS/ECM are not far apart on their runs I wonder how long it will stay like that?

Very true. But the Atlantic looks certain to be blocked off at t+120 so it should all be good from there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

GFSP and ECM at 192

image.thumb.png.1ba61bd1429db4a1ee0f4241eeba6373.pngimage.thumb.png.88cbbfe631cbc01b01d3f791cc079102.png  

A pretty decent match there, so odds are that this is our future, or something akin to it.  This set up could really deliver something spectacular for our shores, BUT is likely to create a lot of angst in here as there's a lot that could go wrong.  I'll happily take it, at least we're in the raffle!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Deep in fi but the gfs 6z brings a push in Heighths from the azores and stops the jet moving sse. I've a suspicion come Tom be a totally different scenario 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

GFSP and ECM at 192

image.thumb.png.1ba61bd1429db4a1ee0f4241eeba6373.pngimage.thumb.png.88cbbfe631cbc01b01d3f791cc079102.png  

A pretty decent match there, so odds are that this is our future, or something akin to it.  This set up could really deliver something spectacular for our shores, BUT is likely to create a lot of angst in here as there's a lot that could go wrong.  I'll happily take it, at least we're in the raffle!

Yes agreed, and keeping an eye on this, but beyond it's fair to say no idea how things will proceed. Interesting though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I've been looking for some public verification stats on the GFSP (the next version of the GFS set to go live in Feb 2021), but they are non-existent as far as I can tell.

Ryan Maue, however, was underwhelmed back in the summer:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

Much better runs overnight... Should be a relief to your left testicle, Crewe?

and my leg (haven't decided which one yet) but won't be getting a new hacksaw blade out just yet as we're looking until D9/10 again as next week looks like a chilly wet affair in our parts!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, The Enforcer said:

Some fair points 

If the easterly survived for a few days longer then I expect the source of the air would become more e european/ Russian and therefore colder 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I've been looking for some public verification stats on the GFSP (the next version of the GFS set to go live in Feb 2021), but they are non-existent as far as I can tell.

Ryan Maue, however, was underwhelmed back in the summer:

It’s basic verification stats don’t seem to show any improvement. Whether it’s better in respect of not producing dartboard lows or dealing with split flows -  I guess we’ll find out 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, AmatuerMet1963 said:

Hello, just an update. I wont be continuing my forum here, its more for techically advanced people than me an old analogue person who only uses farenheit still.  So I dont really fit in. Just to say, I have seen quite a bit of snow in Wigan today, more than for several years. Its lovely to watch and blackbirds were sitting in the snow at 7am in the day awaiting their first food. After that I managed to feed 36 in total of robins some tits, and more than the usual sparrows.

I end my time here, with a longer range forecast I seen online today. The High pressure to the left of us for so long  heading towards Scandinavia while low pressure remains in Europe. this leads to strengthening North Easterlies, which forcasters prompt may be here to stay.  Further it will bring even colder air over the uk and of about 5th or 6th January will start feeding heavy snow showers that will get as far as the Manchester in the early days. Is this a possible "Beast from The East" scenario?

I will come back to see any replys, but wont be posting again, my abilities to understand what's being discussed is way beyond me.  Im a general analogue Michael Fish!!!.

happy new year to all, and hope a severe spell doesn't happen we dont  want covid high and broken bones adding the NHS crisis......!!!!❄️

Covid isn't of concern people will be in doors at home not mixing as for broken bones people who are not driving will be getting deliveries and should stock up on the right footwear or grips to be prepaired. We've got those things with shoe spikes to grip the ice and snow its the delivery drivers I am concerned for. can not grit the path because if they slip the resident would be held liable for damages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Thunderstorms. Heatwaves. Anything extreme.

image.thumb.png.cba78ac16e4c0ab583a6b0a2971a288b.pngwow I almost spit my coffee out this morning. What fabulous output we are seeing at the moment. We are heading into the freezer make no doubt about that. Thank you to everyone here for there great analysis. I’m still very new to this but great fun learning. 

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, AmatuerMet1963 said:

Hello, just an update. I wont be continuing my forum here, its more for techically advanced people than me an old analogue person who only uses farenheit still.  So I dont really fit in. Just to say, I have seen quite a bit of snow in Wigan today, more than for several years. Its lovely to watch and blackbirds were sitting in the snow at 7am in the day awaiting their first food. After that I managed to feed 36 in total of robins some tits, and more than the usual sparrows.

I end my time here, with a longer range forecast I seen online today. The High pressure to the left of us for so long  heading towards Scandinavia while low pressure remains in Europe. this leads to strengthening North Easterlies, which forcasters prompt may be here to stay.  Further it will bring even colder air over the uk and of about 5th or 6th January will start feeding heavy snow showers that will get as far as the Manchester in the early days. Is this a possible "Beast from The East" scenario?

I will come back to see any replys, but wont be posting again, my abilities to understand what's being discussed is way beyond me.  Im a general analogue Michael Fish!!!.

happy new year to all, and hope a severe spell doesn't happen we dont  want covid high and broken bones adding the NHS crisis......!!!!❄️

Don't give up been on here since 2006 lurk and learn is a great way to understand what's going on

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, AmatuerMet1963 said:

You shouldn’t pack in. I’ve been here since 2005 and only pop in every winter in the hope of snow. I understand a little but much is over my head. I just pick the posts that give me a sense of whether my chart reading is right 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the d8 gefs, and it is clear, that period and onwards has FI entropy:

gens_panel_osd2.png

No clear way forward yet, and although I suspect the gfs op may lead towards the ecm ridge, after d9 there are too many power plays to know where the pieces will fit. A few runs more to try and find a path?

Nothing exciting re cold or snow in London on the short ens:

850's>graphe3_00000_303.111328125_148.18936157226562___.thumb.png.91cd7ac968d42bb2330907e177539462.png 2m temps>graphe6_00000_303.111328125_148.18936157226562___.thumb.png.6a1a6beffab1feb3353bd0aaaf2c8479.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Mean perhaps slightly improved here at 186, better heights into Greenland. Also attached short ensembles for London

GFSAVGEU00_192_1.png

GFSAVGEU06_186_1.png

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e (2).jpeg

Mean just touching -7 on the 4th then back up to about -5 after that. Could really do with that dipping a bit further to increase snow chances next week. Still time.

• Like 1