Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into the new year

SMU
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Done deal in my opinion!!barr a miracle!!!those ridiculous amount by ecm yesterday seem to be over done!!!!

I think regardless of any shifts, we aren't going to be seeing those amounts now!

Just to note though, remember there is equal chance Thursday's shift eastwards. In much the same way as channel lows shift southwards, typically set-ups where fronts come down the country adjust eastward closer to the time. On the upside, they did a decent job with todays area of precipitation.

Not saying that will happen, but one to keep an eye on...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
Just now, Malcolm Edwards said:

I'm not terribly gened up on model reading but does this mean rain is more likely? 

In Guernsey possibly.

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

If 12z gfs shows the same as 06z up to 192 hours i will be happy!!but i think it will probably show the high closer to the uk and and more energy going over the top!!!still will look good but maybe like the gfs 06 para!!hope im wrong!!

The way the icon has improved with the high at a higher latitude, I'd expect the other models to slightly adjust further north also, let's see what happens though!

• Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I think regardless of any shifts, we aren't going to be seeing those amounts now!

Just to note though, remember there is equal chance Thursday's shift eastwards. In much the same way as channel lows shift southwards, typically set-ups where fronts come down the country adjust eastward closer to the time. On the upside, they did a decent job with todays area of precipitation.

Not saying that will happen, but one to keep an eye on...

Yup i was thinking the same!!now that the snow for the south has gone into the channel it might take thursdays snow slightly further east!!!a lot to keep an eye on!!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Malcolm Edwards said:

I'm not terribly gened up on model reading but does this mean rain is more likely? 

I think youll struggle to get any precipitation down south at all temperatures arent the issue its the system trending south. Still ive seen major errors 12 hours out with these low pressures so id still keep an eye on the radar

Posted
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Yup i was thinking the same!!now that the snow for the south has gone into the channel it might take thursdays snow slightly further east!!!a lot to keep an eye on!!

Yeah, the upshot though is that its a sideway sweep on Thursday, so there is alot more room for error compared to the set-up on Wednesday. So confidence is higher with that set-up at the moment thankfully, especially for the north of England.

• Thanks 2

Posted

12z GFS operational looks basically the same as the 06z, small area of snow for the far south.

As I noted earlier, there is still WIDE range of options on the ensembles, I looked through well over 100 ensemble runs from various models earlier and honestly there was still plenty of scope for movement, though I do personally faovur a more southerly track, if purely based on history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
3 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I think youll struggle to get any precipitation down south at all temperatures arent the issue its the system trending south. Still ive seen major errors 12 hours out with these low pressures so id still keep an eye on the radar

Yes Scott to see any snow you'd have to get on a clipper from Kent...

Joking aside though these systems that swing in invariably do track further north at the last minute.The lows that track across the midlands usually  push further north to south Yorks eg.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
16 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Thursday mornings snow on its way down the country.

image.thumb.png.67531ef826e98805b07ea09234a11c66.png

Unfortunately that looking more wet than white at 9pm at night. Unless your up near tan hill. Let’s see what the gfs is showing later. Hopefully moves away from a west based NAO set up but let’s see what happens. 

Posted

GFS is still quite keen on the area of PPN wrapping back around - so all might not be lost

Somewhere like Ashford might do quite well. 

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

12z High res not run yet. 

Wait for Hirlam.

This was the UKMET 00z 48

2E7B44BF-AFE3-4AC2-83AE-895EE0373933.jpeg

I'd say that based on all the models/ensembles that I've seen the mean would be somewhere around that area.

Of course the 12z suite may well change that, we will have to see.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

GFS is still quite keen on the area of PPN wrapping back around - so all might not be lost

Ends up giving 5-10cms to the far east of Kent.

Have to say I didn't spot many attempts at that set-up in the ensembles from the 06z runs mind you. Far more were way north of the M4 for example than gave that set-up from the 12z GFS op.

Still could be a trend, you never know.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Wait for Hirlam.

12z UKV has and is keeping with the southerly theme.

12zukv.gif

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, terrier said:

Unfortunately that looking more wet than white at 9pm at night. Unless your up near tan hill. Let’s see what the gfs is showing later. Hopefully moves away from a west based NAO set up but let’s see what happens. 

We shall see as there will still be snow cover 

image.thumb.png.f144a02b1b9cd19b1820b70999eb0a1f.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Wait for Hirlam.

Steve..

ALL other high-res models have it way to the south of the UK. I don't think a lone run of the HIRLAM is going to rescue it on this occasion..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul said:

12z UKV has and is keeping with the southerly theme.

12zukv.gif

Whats worth noting is just how much faster the models have been making this sytem.

It was originally due to come overnight, now its basically clearing the channel by 9pm! Does make some sense since a weaker system will have less of a fujiwara effect with the main low and so will be more prone to swing faster and further south around that parent low.

Posted

Never say never

image.thumb.png.95d684c03f6dd0a34c94220f22949235.png

• Like 2