Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas and New Year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Hmmm gfs seems to be ever so slightly further north and east and moving towards euro4?

00Z was better

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

You’ll need to show something to back that up otherwise it’s a load of waffle!

Search back into the forum threads from 26 th December 2010,  it was 1 of the more experienced members that also said this, proof will be in 48 hours then come back and tell me  I’m just talking a load of waffle

Posted
9 minutes ago, Blizzard_of_Oz said:

The lack of manual data input into the models due to the holidays is correct, this also happened in 2010, those of us that have been on this forum may remember the same debate back then. 
Another 48 hours and I’m confident we will see a different output. 

The only issue I'm aware of is lack of flight data on a day or two over the holidays. Flight data must have been reduced/impacted all through this strange year; has it made a difference to the accuracy statistics?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

Personally I can’t see why the negativity with some posts this morning. All looks fairly much in order to me for a possibly prolonged cold spell, although nothing too severe at the moment. I’ll take this upcoming cold spell quite happily over the usual mild Atlantic muck that we’re all so used to. Happy Boxing Day. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 minutes ago, Griff said:

BINGO 

I'm crossing off:

"weather balloons" 

"lack of data" 

"fewer aircraft" 

You can set your watch by this place at this time if year! 

(see my psychic predictions from Christmas eve). 

Surely Santa provides extra flight data? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kevo22 said:

Personally I can’t see why the negativity with some posts this morning. All looks fairly much in order to me for a possibly prolonged cold spell, although nothing too severe at the moment. I’ll take this upcoming cold spell quite happily over the usual mild Atlantic muck that we’re all so used to. Happy Boxing Day. 

I'm happy with this mornings output, the last 2 days it looked like the charts where backing off long sustained cold/snow chances a little bit but now I get the feeling it's more likely after looking at all the output again. Gfs and ECM is certainly an improvement, UKMO not bad at all.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
3 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

The only issue I'm aware of is lack of flight data on a day or two over the holidays. Flight data must have been reduced/impacted all through this strange year; has it made a difference to the accuracy statistics?

Flight data points have increased hugely in the last year or so, they will still decrease over this period but accuracy is much better now than it was and the effect is less pronounced. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I suspect a large reason for differences between GFS and ECM lay within stratosphere. The ECM is very consistent and well to be honest so is GFS but you would have to back latter. With ECM it’s leading to a split and you see traction for a ridge to go near Greenland in contrast to GFS.

E1B2C3A5-44A2-436E-A3B4-0F54A0430388.thumb.png.83636af31c5f95d1577c753cf3a49d1e.png499731A3-EC50-4E43-B972-7A529AE87EDB.thumb.png.917ec3f1e30d7fcce37eafe428329b1a.png

Give that jma and gem are consistent and like the ec temp profile at day 8 then I’d be inclined to think the gfs is struggling high up for some reason ....

also, taking the 10hpa heights and imprinting them onto the trop won’t necessarily correlate ......

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I was poking my head into this forum every now and then. I think regarding that Monday low, we really have to wait and see with regards to Bella passing through. I dont think we will have too much confidence till tonight if not tomorrow mornings runs. I will be fishing 6am tomorrow morning until Monday evening in Surrey, so it'll be what touches my head is the weather. Interesting model watching for the short term  that's for sure.

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The EPS clusters are the best of the winter but yes lose your sanity over GFS 00z

I feel cheeky asking but could you please show us the clusters?

Posted

06z GFs still dry for most Monday. I can only find GEM that gives enough fir a snowball away from Scottish / welsh mountains.

re he flight data ...this must have been lacking for a while with 50% of flights grounded due to Covid?

GFS looking better for end of the week precip wise with widespread showers and a covering for many...

4A18ACD6-337B-43C1-9796-F3E8FA9B81D8.png

8FBD1AA5-4CDC-427E-8C9D-1C016468748C.png

0BD4733B-4748-4345-B7F3-80E2302EC8A9.png

• Like 3

Posted

Arperge similar track to gfs  for snowfall on Monday  brum West  into Wales    off course will be probably different next run 

arpege-45-57-0.png

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 4

Posted

gfs is becming a joke again,the difference between this and 6hours ago is laughable.Its consistency and credibility with it is going down the pan again.It may look colder but how can you take any of it seriously when the differences are so HUGE

source.gif

Edited by SLEETY
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Am I seeing a 06z siding with the favoured cluster

image.thumb.png.b853c963634f439c448bb0602c9b8e70.png

Screenshot_20201226_102545.jpg

Posted
12 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I thought it was posted? But there’s definitely a suggestion of cold continental influence over northerly, so perhaps turning very cold into early January. ECM op had this too at day 10, but seemingly too flat with ridge.

B82E4F8D-2EFE-4C66-9596-5AD56F876264.thumb.jpeg.7a8142c70e4e09e40a6de055d5204b26.jpeg

Many thanks Daniel. They look fab

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1