Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The run up to Christmas

Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

My goodness, this has been and continues to be an EPIC chase!  Can’t remember seeing charts like the ones on offer now, not before Christmas anyway, since 2010, at least.  These charts have just got to verify or preferably amplify, because if it all goes tights up this place will go into complete meltdown.   I have to say it would be just our luck to get an absolute pasting this winter, creating a triple whammy with B****t, and C***d.  It seems that as early as the 27th December we might get our first taste of potentially even more interesting events to come.....

384FB47D-74B6-45EF-8C91-ED13EB6C2FF7.thumb.png.2758069f6b6a058424e5a2ee5aa532ec.png

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

The EC clusters are insane.. full on Greenland blocking.

432164959_Screenshot2020-12-23at21_57_19.thumb.png.7bb6fe30e72426e136258d70c7ebf5a5.png

Most importantly, teleconnections are supportive of a Greenland high for the next round of amplification. There is however a possibility of a -wNAO which would prevent the coldest air reaching the UK.

I’m intrigued ...... you say the clusters are insane (I assume in a good way re cold) and yet the 50% west based nao cluster is only a ‘possibility’ ????  Surely it’s 50/50 if you take the clusters seriously ???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The gfs at 144 hrs pushes the cold air in from the north further south and it is also a more northerly sourced airflow.

gfsnh-0-144.thumb.png.90ee942c368d3b723be27f9bf3e9eb29.pnggfsnh-1-144.thumb.png.c75ac95f6edbea2e4513c3a523bd1dc9.png

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, Griff said:

What's not to love... 

gfsnh-0-138.png

gfsnh-1-138.png

Sat on the sofa hiding these charts from my other half because if I tell anyone it won't happen. 

I think she thinks I'm having an affair... 

that’s what happens when you keep looking at models

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

18z GFS brings the -10c isotherm into Scotland and the -8c isotherm into parts of central and southern England. Certainly an upgrade from its previous run.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

18z GFS brings the -10c isotherm into Scotland and the -8c isotherm into parts central and southern England. Certainly an upgrade from its previous run.

All the way baby! 

gfsnh-1-162 (1).png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, chionomaniac said:

Anyone clicking between runs to work out what is better?  Not a lot between them upto T+150 so far.  Cold gets further south but thinner spread. Now looking at the next slider

I do this all the time.. looks less wedgey up to our north but colder uppers... at 162

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Anyone clicking between runs to work out what is better?  Not a lot between them upto T+150 so far.  Cold gets further south but thinner spread. Now looking at the next slider

Haha I'm basically like "next slide please!"

Yeah I'm comparing whats going on upstream. Nothing yet to suggest we won't get a very pretty FI, of course there is a big difference between a pretty looking FI and one that will actually give us the goods in real terms! There have been stunning ensemble runs synoptically, until you see the 0c isotherm well north of the Midlands. 

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

It’s my one criticism of Meteociel is that they don’t have a side by side comparison viewer like the netweather GFS charts does.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

The EC clusters are insane.. full on Greenland blocking.

432164959_Screenshot2020-12-23at21_57_19.thumb.png.7bb6fe30e72426e136258d70c7ebf5a5.png

Most importantly, teleconnections are supportive of a Greenland high for the next round of amplification. There is however a possibility of a -wNAO which would prevent the coldest air reaching the UK.

It would be a real sickner if that were to happen, but it can't be discounted.

Heights over the Atlantic are stumbling further east on this run. Low NW of Iceland is also a little stronger. These are both positives as the deeper low will contribute to the cold pool as it dives south east, with the high then likely to build back strongly over Greenland.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Lol block slightly further east. How often would that be a good thing

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Is this because of the risk of a west based -nao?

More positive news is that we have some colder uppers at last 

I might start coming on board if this keeps up 

Posted

Swathes of colder uppers to our north here but this is starting to look a bit dangerous with the way that energy coming over the top is pushing our Atlantic ridge east, we need it just right but not too Far East. 

Give us the Icelandic Sausage please mr weather gods. (oh MATRON)

• Like 2

Posted

I’ll probably be banned and warned by a mod, but never mind. This winter the northern hemisphere view is very prevalent on the board. And why not with such a blocked Atlantic. But for heavens sake, there is precious little actual cold developing at all. Today is colder synoptically then most of FI. This is getting crazy. Let’s get it together and be a little more tactical in analysing just exactly what we truly believe may happen in the British isles. I want snow as much as anyone, but a lot of toppers deliver more. This low is not cold enough, it doesn’t have a cold source and that’s a fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 minute ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Is this because of the risk of a west based -nao?

More positive news is that we have some colder uppers at last 

I might start coming on board if this keeps up 

Yep block has been too far north and west last run. So slightly more east and south better for us

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Yes,base of the heights is further E/SE off Iberia should prevent WB-NAO.

• Like 3