Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The run up to Christmas

Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Gfs, ukmo, icon all look good to me at this stage, what more can we ask for?

Posted

It’s another great gfs run out to 192.. I sensed an increasing theme for slack heights to our north aka wedges! 

now for rest west based nao or not....,.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
19 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

So only temporary Northerly then high pressure sitting over UK, at end of the year. I take it the met office use other models  that we the public never see, none of the 3 main models have been showing that. 

Disappointed. 

But the graph-update like the public ones...!! Hold that thought !. And a variation of a mix set @operationals are blended.. this is a beginning point.. and 1 that’s of evolve.. changes are paramount.. in mid term forecast!!! Imo

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Updated_Weather said:

Just watched the latest metO weather ahead & they think beginning on Jan, high pressure will be over the UK settling things down & dry - where is this being shown because I haven’t seen that on all the 3 models?

I was just saying how much this has completely baffled me

Posted
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

It’s another great gfs run out to 192.. I sensed an increasing theme for slack heights to our north aka wedges! 

now for rest west based nao or not....,.

Second Greenland heights are setting up a few hundreds miles further south and east. This has to be a good thing.. and that chart over the uk has all pretty much under -6 at least.. cracking chart..

image.thumb.png.194fba7b5610f2946c9f97fff1af35ae.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Will be very cold under this slack low pressure, with spells of wintry stuff dropping from the sky I’d imagine 

5790260C-3173-4E98-B7A0-6AE4A4011F05.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Lads n- lassies.. I give you the ...GFS

AB20C302-A7D8-4A8A-B687-7D43A9F7984F.png

87584BAA-3E20-425B-ADCD-3AE1BB5841A1.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Pay attention to the svaalbard heights ont his run too .....shoud, be a fun fi 

Sooo close to a link up

Screenshot_20201223_163002_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Atlantic ridging is normally well modelled by the GFS & it’s being extremely consistent with this theme, it is at day 8-10 but I think it’s on to something with this pattern.

Its the kind of set up that parts of the UK could get absolutely pasted by snow. 

1311EE80-53E0-446F-B35C-0F15DA7E6D41.png

• Like 6

Posted

Regardless of the amazing output for coldies it’s amazing to see this much confidence from the GFS at day 10 (06z Vs 12z below) ❄️⛄

5B1578A0-1EC0-4CE4-A666-A1C3FE3D9A06.png

597DEB64-A577-4103-9F90-B7F709E3EF29.png

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Weathizard said:

Atlantic ridging is normally well modelled by the GFS & it’s being extremely consistent with this theme, it is at day 8-10 but I think it’s on to something with this pattern.

Its the kind of set up that parts of the UK could get absolutely pasted by snow. 

1311EE80-53E0-446F-B35C-0F15DA7E6D41.png

Being super critical... You would want the high a little bit further east, but fantastic none the less, plenty of time for that!

I'm a rare poster in here mainly as I just don't have enough knowledge or understanding to comment. These posts look really promising, but I've been over-optimistic before. 

What point can we look at models and say cold/snow is pretty much a definite? 2-3 days out? And so I guess all these lovely looking model outputs could still give us nothing if they're at 5-6 days?

Sorry for the low level post but it's nice to hear the real chances in lay terms... 

Regards

Ian

ps I live at 280m in the pennines so I'm hopeful....

Edited by Firefly2005
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!
4 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Just watched the latest metO weather ahead & they think beginning on Jan, high pressure will be over the UK settling things down & dry - where is this being shown because I haven’t seen that on all the 3 models?

The output continues to be outstanding for cold prospects.....but this forecast from the met is almost annoying....if it turns to be correct whilst at this juncture all major models are showing something completely different, It does make me wonder why we look at them at all ......slight over reaction

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
21 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

GFS & UKMO really quite different at T144 (Day 7). ICON appears to be a middleground.

gfs.thumb.png.131d4a5b869691e9103ee1cd5cd31bfb.pngUKMO.thumb.gif.d9dfe067c3eaed5a1849634af263fe83.gifICON.thumb.png.3e6e89ebe7a60604023a9a6499dcfbb7.png

What’s maybe important is that all have the centre of the low to the east of the UK by varying amounts.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Firefly2005 said:

I'm a rare poster in here mainly as I just don't have enough knowledge or understanding to comment. These posts look really promising, but I've been over-optimistic before. 

What point can we look at models and say cold/snow is pretty much a definite? 2-3 days out? And so I guess all these lovely looking model outputs could still give us nothing if they're at 5-6 days?

Sorry for the low level post but it's nice to hear the real chances in lay terms...

Regards

Ian

Cold is different to forecast than snow.

snow is never certain.. most cases depend on if it’s an event of showers but I’d expect on the day to be the best or now cast situation❄️

Posted
1 minute ago, goosey007 said:

The output continues to be outstanding for cold prospects.....but this forecast from the met is almost annoying....if it turns to be correct whilst at this juncture all major models are showing something completely different, It does make me wonder why we look at them at all ......slight over reaction

I wouldn’t worry tbh..