Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Just now, NewEra21 said:

Yep, it's why we need that trough over us to get a bit further E/SE. So we can then actually then get the colder air in, currently the coldest air is going into the Atlantic, we just need a slight shift Eastwards!

Good chance the low moves S & E nearer the time, certainly could evolve that way according to history.

Posted

GEM pick of the bunch so far this evening with the low further to the east,we will wait to see

how ECM models this low pressure from the north.Still up to changes at this range so plenty

to be exited about for snow lovers.In the mean time Christmas Eve and Day cold with frost

very festive.

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, MKN said:

Wont matter under deep low pressure and reduced day light hours - 3/4 would likely be ok. 

And low heights. Were looking at fronts of snow instead of showers. Its risky and marginal but this set up could be an absolute snow maker!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
3 minutes ago, terrier said:

FAE22BE1-9D8E-4744-8540-99DF00123F5B.thumb.png.1fa263eef2e2e6cbb083f4e1d54f0926.pngI’m sorry but yes we are seeing some nice output  this evening but those uppers are garbage. We are looking at cold rain for most of the U.K. unless you are up on high ground in the north these aren’t great cold rain and sleet really don’t float my boat thanks. 

At least cold rain would be seasonal rain,better then mild southwesterly rain.  

What the models are showing atm we are in a hell of a better place then many recent yrs which in itself is something to rejoice. It wont be a mild xmas period thankfully which makes a change to many recent xmas periods. Lets see how things unfold over the next while...........

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Put these to the back of your mind the models wont have an idea properly until T'72. If we dont get snow from this set up ill skip through Rotherham Town Centre naked and record it!

Im sure there will be at least an inch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Some pretty nifty charts, I must say... But don't mention the uppers, they don't like the uppers! I think I did it earlier, but I think I got away with it?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

The mean at T180 does appear to be a little further east than the op and control. Not much in it but it could help/be a sign that things might move east a little. Also the mean 850s for this stage are approx -4c, so 50% of ensemble members are going to be lower than that.

EFD4C197-C9DE-423D-B13B-BF1AB4D278AC.png

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 5

Think people need to chill out on the uppers, I really can’t imagine that tongue of cold uppers ending up that far west. Experience suggests they might end up a little further east 

Edited by Guest

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

And low heights. Were looking at fronts of snow instead of showers. Its risky and marginal but this set up could be an absolute snow maker!

Still confused. Why does low heights make any difference to the 850s threshold at which we would expect snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

The mean at T180 does appear to be a little further east. Not much in it though but could help/be a sign that things might move east a little.

EFD4C197-C9DE-423D-B13B-BF1AB4D278AC.png

Thats a Lovely Mean

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

People stop worrying about the bloody uppers,they will change considerably the closer we get to the time,the synoptic pattern is evolving and i am as much on the bandwagon as anyone else that is wanting the white stuff to fall from the sky

anyway,good consistency from both the gfs and control @174

gensnh-0-1-174.thumb.png.e3530490c8467cd59e9bb51b52f93a70.pnggfsnh-0-174.thumb.png.0b9aabf35122e926ededd365119278f3.png

BTW,...who is ZONA LITY...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS still sticking to its guns.

GEM follows ECMWF, which I expect not to change that much this evening.

UKMO at 144h leans towards GFS, not GEM.

So could well be UKMO and GFS vs ECM and GEM.

Edited by Alexis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

People stop worrying about the bloody uppers,they will change considerably the closer we get to the time,the synoptic pattern is evolving and i am as much on the bandwagon as anyone else that is wanting the white stuff to fall from the sky

anyway,good consistency from both the gfs and control @174

gensnh-0-1-174.thumb.png.e3530490c8467cd59e9bb51b52f93a70.pnggfsnh-0-174.thumb.png.0b9aabf35122e926ededd365119278f3.png

BTW,...who is ZONA LITY...

Someone who's on his uppers?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
32 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

I Can we open a pessimist thread?? Twinned with magic fm playing in the background really depressing sounds!! And also link a reminder quotation that... 850hpa.. lean then drop under such Synoptics at a rapid pace.... It’s infuriating at times !!!.. some are clearly stuck in the woods with flow- and dynamics

Beeing realistic doesn't mean that one is pessemistic.  An -4 in 850hpa isn't nothing speacial in high winter time (starts 21.12.2020) and can come down even in may or june. For this setup, a -4 is ridiculous (my opinion).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
3 minutes ago, Alexis said:

GFS still sticking to its guns.

GEM follows ECMWF, which I expect not to change that much this evening.

UKMO at 144h leans towards GFS, not the ECM.

So could well be UKMO and GFS vs ECM and GEM.

GEM much better and towards GFS surely ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

image.thumb.gif.5d5bc54856f226f85459dbf0037e1ecd.gif

UKMO in range now, that LP will plunge almost N/S.....very cold Xmas Week.  Snow will be a factor Xmas week.

BFTP

• Like 6

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

busy In here tonight, don’t know why look at those uppers heading in from the north

5005CAEC-8B80-43FA-943A-7BC54B6E378E.png

7986451C-3F38-4FF5-912D-E1547C03D678.png

But the uppers! 

Meanwhile, good news for Jan (much more reliable FI for strat than trop) image.thumb.png.04c95235617fd64514ab37fee31f7ae4.png

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, bumpydogz said:

Still confused. Why does low heights make any difference to the 850s threshold at which we would expect snow?

There’s a formula out there somewhere that explains this, but I can’t find it right now. 
Anyway, 500mb heights are one of the components and essentially the lower the heights, the lower the dam (lower dam = greater snow risk)

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Someone who's on his uppers?

I was looking back at old threads earlier on from previous cold spells and there is often talk of dodgy uppers out at Day 7-10 with improvements by T0. Equally there are sometimes warm sectors that are only modelled nearer the time too, and believe me I’ve been the victim of these more than once!!

• Like 6