Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter has arrived

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, MATT☀️ said:

I'm not so sure that rings true!! Having Greenland Heights is most definitely a good thing, but is certainly not the be all and end all.. To much blocking to the NW can also bring an halt to Atlantic weather systems... Yes it will be fidgid but not necessary snowy! Put in place a big Scandinavian High with an Estly feed, then we have the perfect scenario for Atlantic systems to push in against this air bringing the potential for significant snow! And when those Scandy Heights are big and robust they can take some shifting! All to play for still... ☀️

Aye, Matt, but it's Tesco's finest... Every little helps?:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted

The Greenland was the reason for the record cold spell in parts of Ireland in 2010 the Scandinavian high pressure systems seem more prone to sudden collapse, think most on here would take any of the two scenarios cinsideting the crud winters of recent years 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

My Geography A level grade of an A, all those years ago, tells me that a continent, big land mass, like Europe can cool down very quickly in Winter, so Day zero can be nowt like Day 5 in terms of temps.

Oh, what a 'clever clogs' you are, Bris... I failed Geography at CSE!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
14 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its a 4 day warm up as the patter pushes east for a few days. Its perfectly normal in any winter to have these periods and is essential. Its this warm up thats driving more hot air into the northern latitudes to encourage strat disruption down the line. Stop being pessimistic dude...

I don't think its pessimism to see an alernative view, 'dude'. You could be right, Scott. However, so could West is Best. What makes this thread tolerable at the best of times is the tolerance to alternative views. 

• Like 3

Posted

It isn’t going to take much of a tweak to send things much colder later in the month.

Is the MJO wave about to break into the Pacific in a few days? This might help create more Mid Atlantic amplification and trough disruption to start appearing the charts soon, maybe to eventually combine with ridging eastwards towards Iceland from scandi (which is being fed by the block going nowhere any time soon). Low solar, no real signs of the main vortex settling back over Greenland and a continued tendency of a southerly tracking jet to boot. All in all, fascinating model viewing at the moment

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Eskimo said:

I don't think it's pessimism to see an alternative view, 'dude'. You could be right, Scott. However, so could West is Best. What makes this thread tolerable at the best of times is the tolerance to alternative views. 

+100 on that reply. each to their own, and hence why i never normally post in this topic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

My Geography A level grade of an A, all those years ago, tells me that a continent, big land mass, like Europe can cool down very quickly in Winter, so Day zero can be nowt like Day 5 in terms of temps.

I’m in your club. “Os” and “A” levels back in the day seemed far more sensible in dealing with the real world. 

Posted

Always best to ignore the gfs model when their is so much uncertainty in the output expecially when the Russian high is the big player. 

The model is crud in these situations, and will always push the Atlantic through. 

Watch the backtracking begin in just over one hour 

Posted
4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Always best to ignore the gfs model when their is so much uncertainty in the output expecially when the Russian high is the big player. 

The model is crud in these situations, and will always push the Atlantic through. 

Point is that the gfs was the model which picked up on the potentially more mobile period now being supported by all the models at days 7/10 .....you can’t jut say it always does as prior to the change it was showing consistent blocked runs .... you could argue that it reacts to a hint of mobility by running with it rather than working out it could just be a disruption  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
8 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

I’d love to ignore the GFS but we’ve been burnt so many times in recent winters that it’s always best to be cautious now. Hoping for a change this afternoon though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

No significant Atlantic breakthrough out to t150 on the ICON 12z. Better than the 00z as well.

0DD78056-5349-49BE-ADCD-F9DD50346128.png

B195AC73-D911-4428-9653-0A296A401AB4.png

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Point is that the gfs was the model which picked up on the potentially more mobile period now being supported by all the models at days 7/10 .....you can’t jut say it always does as prior to the change it was showing consistent blocked runs .... you could argue that it reacts to a hint of mobility by running with it rather than working out it could just be a disruption  

We haven't had any mobility yet and ecm was showing a blocked outlook in its later output from its midnight run and no sign of mobility returning. You appear to think the gfs is correct when mobility has not even happened yet then come to conclusion that every other model will follow  the might gfs FAIL model, rofl

Posted
56 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Its a 4 day warm up as the patter pushes east for a few days. Its perfectly normal in any winter to have these periods and is essential. Its this warm up thats driving more hot air into the northern latitudes to encourage strat disruption down the line. Stop being pessimistic dude...

And unfortunately these are the type of comments (nothing against you @Scott Ingham that discourages some users not to use the thread anymore 

I don't see nothing wrong with looking for a warm and dry outlook then there is to a cold and snowy outlook ? I'm not sure why people can't respect people's others liking of the weather and each to their own 

Before the 12z outputs start at current there seems to be a general trend of turning milder for a time and then perhaps a dry period which could be quite frosty sure it's not a winter wonderland but to the last few winters we had it's a lot better then staying indoors while someone does a rain dance 

Edited by Skullzrulerz
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ICON 12z

Look how far west the WAA has corrected -

UK looking east not west

trough dropping into Svalbard 

B973A6AD-9F78-44B4-9F42-C280988E0BE6.thumb.png.df967c301b395d30099ad81b499f7350.png

Yes a big swing there for the better, let’s hope the others follow 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
2 hours ago, West is Best said:

Good consensus now in the GFS ensembles out to T144 (roughly Dec 13th). As the header on NW homepage states, a chilly start then gradually rising temperature profile.

Into FI and cold lovers will be hoping that the yellow line is the one that comes off  

986703511_Screenshot2020-12-06at12_59_25.thumb.png.0060ca2f9bb38121e3403ba19f90d167.png

I'm afraid the return to zonality was inevitable. Despite being told that the synoptics were amazing and wonderful and quite the best thing for years, they really weren't. Look to upstream blocking for UK cold. Concretely that means a proper Greenland High. Otherwise no amount of high pressure out to our east will be able to resist the Atlantic onslaught. Sorry if that's unpopular. It just happens to be true.

It’s rising, then tailing back off.  The mean never rises above 3c so hardly mild zonality 

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

And unfortunately these are the type of comments (nothing against you @Scott Ingham that discourages some users not to use the thread anymore 

I don't see nothing with looking for a warm and dry outlook then there is to a cold and snowy outlook ? I'm not sure why people can't respect people's others liking of the weather and each to their own 

Before the 12z outputs start at current there seems to be a general trend of turning milder for a time and then perhaps a dry period which could be quite frosty sure it's not a winter wonderland but to the last few winters we had it's a lot better then staying indoors while someone does a rain dance 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion your right but everyone is entitled to have their opinion challenged as well. I would have no issue the other way around

• Like 5

Posted
41 minutes ago, Eskimo said:

I don't think its pessimism to see an alernative view, 'dude'. You could be right, Scott. However, so could West is Best. What makes this thread tolerable at the best of times is the tolerance to alternative views. 

I don't see an issue to challenge another view though. We're all grown men.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
25 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I don't see an issue to challenge another view though. We're all grown men.

Your absolutely correct, that's why I've frequented this place for the better part of 10 years - the difference of opinion is what drives interesting conversation. However, an alternative view, especially as we are predicting the future with no certainty isn't pessimistic, just different, and both views should be respected. 

Edited by Eskimo
  • Like 6