Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thanks for that, Tony... Of course snowy, cold winters have not gone forever. Despite the opinions of the Ian Browns of this world!:santa-emoji:

Thanks for that Pete.

I should have mentioned that I have been getting the Met Office's 'Weather' magazine since 1964 and would really recommend it as a great 'feet on the ground' background reading matter. Some of the articles are far too technical for me but others are excellent for those who just enjoy weather. They also, incidentally, always come with the synoptic charts of the previous month.

It's also interesting to do this once in a while. Take any great or noteworthy cold/snowy spell from the past - go to the historic charts for the period, online or the paper records that I have - and go to the day exactly 5 days before the great cold spell began. You look at it and, nearly always, wonder how the heck it got from that, to this. What was a flat, zonal westerly has become anticyclonic northerly or easterly. It can cheer you up when you are going through day after day of mild weather.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

METO not expecting anything south of Yorkshire Dales tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.084e3374742a5872933a6149dbbe498e.png

Not entirely true. Yellow warnings are mainly used for disruption not for snow showers. More places MAY see snow flurries but may not cause disruption hence no warning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Would put me house on falling flakes in SE tomorrow.

Nothing sticking about but would be nice to get some fall this early.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical and Winter
1 hour ago, Snow lover 2020 said:

Looks like winter is over folks 

4 minutes ago, mathematician said:

I am afraid you may be right

It is December 3rd. You all can not be serious haha. 

Posted

it feels all a bit Meh this - so sad us coldies and resorting to chasing Sleet these days so dire have winters become since 2010.

What I give for a truely festive cold snap during christmas - cold clear winter sunshine - temps not above 4 with crisp night time hoarse frost and if lucky a heavy snow shower

to think UK is Latitude is 55 degree north and at the age of 50 i  barely seen one true cold snap in london christmas day ( 4 or 5??? last 10 have been on the whole heavy rain washouts ) 

• Like 2

Posted

Snow has never been common at Christmas,thats how it will always be unless the Gulf Stream shuts-down.

UK climate sucks for snow and ice unless you live around 4000 ft in the Scottish Highlands.

Posted

Doing my head in on the model thread with people rattling on about snow. I dont mind what the models show but it's the comments about I'm getting this and so n so is not going to receive a dump.

It's very marginal apart from high up, which most are not. Anyway I'm interested in building our own cold pool up without the help from the continent and hoping elongated low will slide into us. That's the best we can hope for atm imo.

Glad I've got that out lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I'm not sure why everyone in model chat is getting excited over cold rain and some sleet. It may as well just be normal Atlantic mild rain what is the point?  With all the forecasts I've been reading suggesting a mild and wet Winter on the way I actually fear a repeat of last Winter.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

You could always move to Yakutsk if you want some cold weather....Now this is cold.   

Wonder how long a person would last for wearing just t-shirt and shorts sat outside in these -40C temperatures? You'd develop frost bite within a few minutes.

128427675_734530907270176_5630773674191813265_n.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
15 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

I'm not sure why everyone in model chat is getting excited over cold rain and some sleet. It may as well just be normal Atlantic mild rain what is the point?  With all the forecasts I've been reading suggesting a mild and wet Winter on the way I actually fear a repeat of last Winter.  

kinda agree, rain is rain, whether it's raging zonality or slow moving setup, very likely from around 10th Dec a zonal SW'ly spell is on the way, not much different to now weatherwise

every forecast I have seen is a zonal January? now is that guess work? because modern January's are dominated by the Atlantic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Couldn't give a rats about tomorrow, only interested in notable cold spells or a short sharp frontal event that delivers decent depths. Otherwise I'll take sunshine or mild and dry.

That being said, I think talk of this being a let down is premature. My layman's knowledge and years of reading the forums leads me to believe we still have a decent chance of something significant developing through December. Anyone else get the feeling something might be lurking in the woodshed?

It would be quite "2020" to see it sign off with a white Xmas and record snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

Not all sleet..... more tomorrow

IMG_20201203_213402.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
13 hours ago, southbank said:

it feels all a bit Meh this - so sad us coldies and resorting to chasing Sleet these days so dire have winters become since 2010.

What I give for a truely festive cold snap during christmas - cold clear winter sunshine - temps not above 4 with crisp night time hoarse frost and if lucky a heavy snow shower

to think UK is Latitude is 55 degree north and at the age of 50 i  barely seen one true cold snap in london christmas day ( 4 or 5??? last 10 have been on the whole heavy rain washouts ) 

Chasing sleet, funny that as I see lots of reports of settling snow from various locations even in the south east & not at very high asl either! 

Looks like all those who were mentioning snow falling were right, despite all the stick they were getting from various posters. 

• Like 1

Posted

The expectation, the constant model checking, the anticipation, the ramping, more expectation,.....*opens curtains*....., the reality of cold rain, the bitter recriminations in the Models thread......

Welcome to Netweather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, Wynter said:

I know this is the moan thread, but some of you need to get a grip. Complaining about people discussing snow on a weather forum! Whatever next! 

Aye, agree, better than the Coronavirus thread! non weather kinda trolling

Posted
9 minutes ago, Wynter said:

I know this is the moan thread, but some of you need to get a grip. Complaining about people discussing snow on a weather forum! Whatever next! 

In the right thread, go for it. But it just cloggs the model thread up with one liners.......

Posted
7 minutes ago, joggs said:

In the right thread, go for it. But it just cloggs the model thread up with one liners.......

Then report the post if you think it needs it. It's the cold and snow chase in Winter that really brings this forum alive. If it wasn't for the snow chasers, this forum probably wouldn't exist.