Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020-2021 Prediction for the UK

iapennell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Ravenseat is at an elevation of 1300ft

I was responding to iapennell comment in regards to North Pennines regularly getting low temperatures of minus 10 and below in the 1980's

I am unsure what the maximum altitude is in relation to readings of official temperatures, but the lowest UK temperatures in Altnaharra and Braemar, are at altitudes of less than 300ft and a little over 1100ft respectively. 

I would say that 'frost hollows' are more likely to record low temperatures than maybe altitude, within reason, of course. 

The Met Office shy away from positioning weather stations in:

- Frost hollow where overnight temperatures on still clear nights may be far lower than at neighbouring locations.

- Top of a hill or steep escarpment where winds will be unrepresentative of the wider area.

When it comes to the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK, this was at an altitude of just 36 feet above sea level. 

If anyone can confirm what the maximum altitude is for the recording of official temperatures, that would be great. I shall investigate this myself, but the low temperature at Ravenseat, was mentioned by the weather presenter on the local weather on the BBC. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, Joe9t said:

I was responding to iapennell comment in regards to North Pennines regularly getting low temperatures of minus 10 and below in the 1980's

I am unsure what the maximum altitude is in relation to readings of official temperatures, but the lowest UK temperatures in Altnaharra and Braemar, are at altitudes of less than 300ft and a little over 1100ft respectively. 

I would say that 'frost hollows' are more likely to record low temperatures than maybe altitude, within reason, of course. 

The Met Office shy away from positioning weather stations in:

- Frost hollow where overnight temperatures on still clear nights may be far lower than at neighbouring locations.

- Top of a hill or steep escarpment where winds will be unrepresentative of the wider area.

When it comes to the highest temperature ever recorded in the UK, this was at an altitude of just 36 feet above sea level. 

If anyone can confirm what the maximum altitude is for the recording of official temperatures, that would be great. I shall investigate this myself, but the low temperature at Ravenseat, was mentioned by the weather presenter on the local weather on the BBC. 

The low temperatures in the 80s are because the temperatures were lower in the 80s!The 10years from 1977 produced 7 years all recording -20 deg or lower and two others were only shy of that mark.The 30 years since the 80s have only produced 3.

Interestingly, the County of Yorkshire, which parts of the Pennines resides in, recorded its coldest night since records began in 2010. 

The temperature at Topcliffe, near Thirsk in North Yorkshire, fell to -19C in the early hours of  3 December 2010, making it the counties lowest ever recorded official temperature. That would mean that no official temperature has ever been recorded lower - even including in the Yorkshire Pennines area. 

I remember very mild Winter temperatures in the 1980s, where temperatures would rise into double figures for periods of a time - even in the early 1980's.

Edited by Joe9t