Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter approaches

Paul

Posted
59 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Looks very plausible though as it looks slap bang in kilter with its 240 ENS mean.

True but its wild swings in terms of operational output aren’t a good look for the model.

The ECM gets away with its high ranking upto day 6 but then drops the ball frequently after that and has been poor over the last few winters with an over amplification bias after that point .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

06z looks a slam dunk Easterly to me.

84591169-D551-4AAF-8950-7B9B3ABD051B.thumb.png.4477d3ffaab7c21a9f5440e8cd27dc36.png

Gfs low res is never a slam dunk anything steve!

however, it’s good to see the gfs 06z on the same page as the ec ens mean at day 8, if only for the sake of consistency 

pits also excellent wrt to the ec day 8 spread over the Baltic states  

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 4

Posted

plenty of trough disruption and eastern blocking on this run...not sure it’s enough for a UK winter wonderland but it’s a start...

7AB5E6A6-BBC3-4640-8958-A25CA6DD1A0F.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
27 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

whilst I agree that mobility remains strong, with a trend to disrupt the trough into s Europe as it crosses nw Europe, I wouldn’t see above av temps as being persistent with at least as many continental drift days as warm sector ones 

Current cross model support on the extended ens for no euro high height anoms and more likely slightly low ones coupled with a mid Atlantic high and possible North Sea/west scandi trough 

the clusters are not compelling for any particular solution (25% winter btw) and I wouldn’t rule out anything for first half December looking at the current hemispheric patterns 

There is one thing i would rule out for December and Jan for that matter, a spell of severe cold and snow of reasonable length for the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Something to smile about for about 6 hours, at least.
image.thumb.png.738b7f02d99f309c037ff32a439a7d59.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

There is one thing i would rule out for December and Jan for that matter, a spell of severe cold and snow of reasonable length for the UK.

I wouldn't rule anything out, @feb1991blizzard (not many, if any sustained cold spells have been successfully predicted at this range?)... But, most of all: never rule out a slam dunk disappointment!

Edited by General Cluster
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi goodmorning peeps

Hoping everyone is well and safe. A better start to the day here in Walthamstow this morning, a bit windy but overall a few holes in the cloud as well with a bit of blue.

Back to the models firstly I put my hand up I am no great expert and I would like to thank all the knowledgable ones who kindly share their information and make more sense to people like myself. 

I came on here yesterday and read through the posts and I must admit it did make me feel a bit downbeat. I saw posts saying next 4 to six weeks are definately zonal and and some said no cold to be seen at least after the Christmas period and even some posts saying this was another season down the drain. Lovely peeps what is going on we have still got the last 3rd of November to go . What we have now is nothing unusual its typical Autumn weather and hey temperatures ok have been mild but we have no headlines of record warmth which in some years has been. The winter season has not started yet and we have a long rollercoaster ride to go through together. What the models are saying and what is in the met 30 day outlook is just an assumption of how things might pan out with current indicators. It's not a done deal and not written in permanent highlighter. We have seen although what is being  predicted might be current trends, all it needs is a few adjustments in the pattern and the whole game can change and from past experience I have seen this happen many a times ( alas more times when cold is on the cards and it all fails and probable less times when mild is on the cards and it turns cold). The weather is something we have no control over it will change when it wants and sometimes at short notices, So peeps don't be downbeat I am sure this winter will give us something to cheer about but it's probably going to be a patience game things can quickly change the whole picture. I know it's been a tough year and we all need some cheer and some snow will definately cheer us coldies ( it will come )

anyway the above is not being said to pick on anyone or anything in fact I can sometimes be in the same boat when I see charts I don't want to but that is human nature. 

Going back to the models it's looking rather unclear what is going to happen. Will pressure build over or near Scandi ? Is our  mobile pattern here to stay? It's just a matter of watching and seeing what churns out in the next couple of days. There is something however in the back of my head that I would kindly like to have some input about from the more knowledgeable ones on here. The Beijing CImate Centre - now their current thoughts are December becoming dominated by northern blocking and this becoming more notable as we go through Jan and February and even March. I know it's sounds too good to be true but can anyone shed any light as to how reliable this source is. What has been their past rating. Would love to hear on this.

Well I feel I have said loads lol but at these hard times I just want to wish everyone and their families to stay safe and be healthy. Keep an eye on the vanerable and let's hope this storm will pass us. My friend was in ICU with Covid but he pulled through and is home now.

Lets keep our heads up and hope the weather can bring us something to put a smile on our faces. 

THE SEARCH FOR OUR WINTER WONDERLAND HAS BEGUN ❄️❄️❄️

Have a great day all

stay safe

Regards

• Like 9

Posted
16 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The old reverse psychology feb ........

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

however, it’s good to see the gfs 06z on the same page as the ec ens mean at day 8, if only for the sake of consistency 

Ha So near lol... 

4950A164-38D8-4B65-813A-F59894A911B9.thumb.png.c8c67d179761957971286f9c1a33f33b.png

At the least the models hold some interest at the moment..

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Not sure what to make of this run. Looks like a close but no cigar ?

3E022004-2B34-4C7F-9370-D726D4DCBEDF.png

As with most gfs runs past day 8 Tim, I wouldn’t be over analysing it !   Maybe give the dog some crayons to cross check ??

• Like 2

Posted

due to thermal gradient being all but absent in the northern hemisphere, once again we are looking at a throughly west based onslaught of weather. Neither particularly cold nor mild, rather more ‘average’

Posted

image.thumb.png.197d40f8cd746f09c150a661d8b1a10d.pngA Northerm blast from Greenland coming in FI by the looks of it!! Unless the HP over the U.K. struggles to retrogress!! 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The old reverse psychology feb ........

No - its this stinking big nina - if a severe cold spell doesn't happen within next 2-3 weeks which modelling suggests it wont, then it aint happening in mid winter thats a fact, for some reason i can't put by finger on it though, i wouldn't rule it out in Second half of feb - perhaps mentally re-visiting analogues - haven't actually built any this winter, either way it will not affect me because my location hasn't received a big dumping and only one of any note in the last 40 - so irrelevant for me this winter and until i can get back out to pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I thought of saying, 'close but no cigar'... But, on second thoughts, maybe 'a zillion miles' off, and who's half-inched my Rizlas' might be more apt?

h850t850eu.png

Posted

image.thumb.png.adc7c6c42bf79ccfedea8af7ded83f39.png

It’s also nice to have a LP near the Azores rather than a very stubborn 1050mb HP!! And some heights pushing up through Labrador which may bring us something better moving into Dec. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

We are moving in the right direction IMO Blue...

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

We are moving in the right direction IMO Blue...

Well we don’t seem to be moving in the wrong direction !  I wouldn’t go any further than that at the moment 

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

So this is what we want to see 

Secondary amplification in the atlantic at day 7 that forces the trough in scandi to drop south while HP builds over the top.

Thats our route to cold...

F8390FDB-CC18-48C5-A697-C5880ECDF8BE.thumb.png.446adbc436c4c77bfd461e104c648039.png

Its what I'm hoping for Steve!!

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Ha So near lol... 

4950A164-38D8-4B65-813A-F59894A911B9.thumb.png.c8c67d179761957971286f9c1a33f33b.png

At the least the models hold some interest at the moment..

What a difference 24hrs makes eh! This time yesterday it was a ‘dire outlook ‘ and lots of toys were being thrown!  That’s what makes this hobby interesting...it’s never over and there’s always a chance the models will flip the next day.  I seem to recall last Sat was great and it went pear shaped on Sun , so to all readers...Try. It to get discontent if it changes for the worse again..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Guessing most would bank the gfs 6z esp where fi is going. I'd be going 6 days max on any output atm. Great to look at tho granted

• Like 1