Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter approaches

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

If the GFS went up to 400+ hrs then I wouldn't be surprised to see a cold shot lead by possible blocking over Greenland, Iceland and the N Atlantic. You can also notice some cold air arriving into C. Europe, we would need that Atlantic blocking to migrate westwards for any chance of some cold coming from the continent.

gfs384.thumb.jpg.f1913abdd100910aee62c23420e546e6.jpg

The 12z GEM is quite a chilly run with the cold nearby into Scandi as the jet dives south - way into FI of course

gemnh-0-240.thumb.png.bb201e061c8fe124eb76120de7799258.png   gemnh-1-240.thumb.png.f366be03a89aa4ef059815750b80d968.png

Could this be a very good NH pattern as we head into December? Asking for a friend..

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

WOW..looking at the Gfs 12z operational...I was right not to tell my family there was a freeze coming and  to stock up on food / provisions to hunker down..wow...talk about Blink or miss it...darn it I just blinked, and missed it ..! Like most cold incursions in the u k..anyway...I suggest a quick drive up ⬆️ to northern Scotland next Thursday morning for a hailball / sleetball / snawball fight..anyone up for it?...it’s a hot topic..and it’s still autumn..imagine how exciting winter won’t be...!!  !

603F0364-3D8C-481E-A749-8DFF32427A6B.thumb.jpeg.689920487e3b1afd300a65a879c68d2c.jpeg4907B502-21FF-406D-99D6-CD0531EBE3D6.thumb.jpeg.31aba6339715fdcf9b49760aa8af8a5e.jpegCCDCF971-9D98-43F1-B852-7B2537073B5F.thumb.jpeg.91845ad40e26ebe89b4aac1b70e4a552.jpeg

075BB950-D08E-4302-A5C9-ABD01AF82806.jpeg

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Control looks more amplified too

sorry for the quick post's as i am trying to see to the sunday roast too

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Somewhat interestingly todays 12z gfs at 384 is very similar to yesterdays 12z gfs at 384.

High pressure UK northwestwards to Greenland and negatively tilted low pressure central /western Atlantic.

• Like 1

Posted

Gefs amplified enough ..... I guess it just depends how the dominoes fall in week 2 as to where the upper ridge sets up and if it manages to amplify in an area to deliver anything deeply cold to nw Europe .... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Gefs amplified enough ..... I guess it just depends how the dominoes fall in week 2 as to where the upper ridge sets up and if it manages to amplify in an area to deliver anything deeply cold to nw Europe .... 

12z highlights perfectly why a Sceuro high is not always a bad thing for NW Europe....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
34 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

This looks a very dry run with plenty of fog and frost on the cards while the high migrates W/NW,lovely run.

At 300 hrs plus

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

12z highlights perfectly why a Sceuro high is not always a bad thing for NW Europe....

It's way in fi and more given the outputI'd assumed you were going Atlantic ridge Nina footprint pal 

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The control reads my mind

gensnh-0-1-312.thumb.png.7753f3e5f12a1b57334301158caeff71.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Are we starting to see colder dryer high pressure dominated end November- December now . meto as mentioned  in there long range text up dates. This might not be cold snow we are looking for now could be building blocks to something more wintery later on..

187F0A4F-D5C5-47F2-9C08-E674F3076E99.png

A3FD03C9-3BC5-41B8-8DC5-764E97686BAA.png

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Well at least the Atlantic is held back... 

ECH1-240.gif

ECH0-240.gif

It's a great chart only problem is to the north west. Dry tho granted 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swfc said:

It's a great chart only problem is to the north west. Dry tho granted 

I'm already feeling jaded and we're only halfway through November, yes it could be a lot worse! Not allowing myself to dream beyond 10 days... 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Griff said:

I'm already feeling jaded and we're only halfway through November, yes it could be a lot worse! Not allowing myself to dream beyond 10 days... 

Yep be a long winter Griff ❄️❄️❄️don't take it to serious man

Edited by swfc
  • Like 1

Posted

gfs and ecm singing from the same hymn sheet,both now going for high pressure all

the way from 168hrs.For cold lovers all about positioning,it may begin in wrong position 

but may well move to better orientation to bring colder conditions.My take is a possible 

southeast to east wind from a high positioned some where in Europe.The proof will be in the pudding.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

gfs and ecm singing from the same hymn sheet,both now going for high pressure all

the way from 168hrs.For cold lovers all about positioning,it may begin in wrong position 

but may well move to better orientation to bring colder conditions.My take is a possible 

southeast to east wind from a high positioned some where in Europe.The proof will be in the pudding.

Love a pudding me, steak and kidney. Amazing

Posted
5 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

pudding proof? What?

The high won’t move north or east for that matter, odds on for it to get pushed far eastward due to the pressure gradient around the high, it’s always the case.

Thus, allowing the waxing and waining of south to north westerly influence throughout.

Unless the fluidity of the high and low pressure reverse due to unstable air, it’s not likely to happen i’m afraid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

8EF025ED-8EE5-4DAD-901B-816470057970.thumb.jpeg.6ca67a6eafbd527b761329c0427ed4ea.jpeg92303C71-35E4-43CA-996B-21F761536651.thumb.jpeg.ad19ad5ded905e009b458a63e4dde19c.jpeg168E619E-8259-4B2E-98C2-4E63A3480EEE.thumb.jpeg.264e1e90e2dc86e336d3352e8b479ad6.jpeg3509A4EA-94D6-419B-83B2-A81F31358F0F.thumb.jpeg.856944bc36fcee314065bba8aeb6a4e9.jpeg
 That’s a pretty good GEFS 12z mean for those of us hoping for a cold / blocked start to the meteorological winter!  

• Like 9

Posted
13 minutes ago, dragan said:

pudding proof? What?

The high won’t move north or east for that matter, odds on for it to get pushed far eastward due to the pressure gradient around the high, it’s always the case.

Thus, allowing the waxing and waining of south to north westerly influence throughout.

Unless the fluidity of the high and low pressure reverse due to unstable air, it’s not likely to happen i’m afraid.

I'm done night

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Well I am liking what I see for me in Slovakia 12Z runs almost too good to be true.With the recent swings and roundabouts of recent fails I am still sitting on the fence despite mean at day 6 showing -6 at 850hPa.Being on the cold end of that high pressure it will for sure be very frosty but looks like a dry feed for now

Edited by jules216
spelling
  • Like 3

Posted

Heights gaining to our south, PV setting up over Greenland, largely westerly south westerly airflow barring the quick cold shot by the end of the week, it's a poor outlook for anything seasonal. 

Even losing the frost risk now as there be too much wind around. 

• Like 1

Posted

Pub run seems to be stuck on a repeat of the 12z early doors 

gfsnh-0-150.png

Not quite as amplified but still in the same direction 1671942416_gfsnh-0-198(2).thumb.png.62ededc2d53f2ae148f97f6b6dc63438.png

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1