Coldest minima winter 2020-2021 season

Clocks have gone back, seems apt time to start this annual thread for the new season.

Please use this to record your lowest mins so far of the new season, guess what will be the lowest value and where

Not sure what the lowest value was last year, think it was fairly high given the lack of cold, indeed did it happen on the first day of the season 1 December?

I'll go with -15 degrees in Aboyne. Expectations are lowered in the hope I'm proved wrong! 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Clocks have gone back, seems apt time to start this annual thread for the new season.

Please use this to record your lowest mins so far of the new season, guess what will be the lowest value and where

Not sure what the lowest value was last year, think it was fairly high given the lack of cold, indeed did it happen on the first day of the season 1 December?

I'll go with -15 degrees in Aboyne. Expectations are lowered in the hope I'm proved wrong! 

That seems a fair estimate but i will raise you a tad and go with -17.6,my expectations are willing to be slightly higher that yours😆

as for here i would plump for -5.7.

• Like 1

The average absolute minimum for here over the last ten years is -7.7C, but that takes in some corkers from the 2008-12 era. However, every winter bar one has got down to -5C so I'll go for -6C, especially if the coldest part of winter ends of not delivering.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Griff said:

I'm near Benson in Oxfordshire so should I even bother? 😜

Isn't Benson a frost hollow. You get some pretty cold temperatures there under the right conditions don't you? (Definitely colder than Banbury where I used to live!)

• Like 1

Overall I’ll go with -18.6C Altnaharra, personally well I usually struggle to get frosts however I do think there could be a (possibly a few) really cold easterly(s) through winter so maybe -5/6 here 🤷

16 hours ago, Griff said:

-28 in the bottom draw of my Freezer 🥶🥶🥶

But joking apart I’ll go for Altnaharra at -21c 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Griff said:

Benson was the coldest place to be in 1917 touching -20 deg,not often England gets down to that temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Benson was the coldest place to be in 1917 touching -20 deg,not often England gets down to that temperature.

Kent was the coldest place in 2018 that’s even rarer I’d argue. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Kent was the coldest place in 2018 that’s even rarer I’d argue. 

1947 -21.3 Elmstone (Kent) 30 January

2018 -14.2 Faversham (Kent) 28 February

Edited by hillbilly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would be good if someone could provide a link or post details of lowest min values for England say over last 20 years and dates.

The last time somewhere in the UK went below -20 degrees was I think in Dec 2010 not surprisingly.

Late Nov 2010 was exceptionally cold some places in England I think hit -18 degrees. 

1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Would be good if someone could provide a link or post details of lowest min values for England say over last 20 years and dates.

The last time somewhere in the UK went below -20 degrees was I think in Dec 2010 not surprisingly.

Late Nov 2010 was exceptionally cold some places in England I think hit -18 degrees. 

Not quite what you were looking for but great info anyway

WWW.TREVORHARLEY.COM