Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Nice @Mair SnawI could watch that all day, never care how intensive just love staring out the window at falling white stuff. 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Just been out to clear the driveway and measured between 8-10cm typically. That's way more than I ever expected but as I said in the MOD thread I seem to have been in the sweet spot for the incoming snow bands. 

Wow. To put that in perspective (for me!) I've had 10cm on the ground once in the last 15 years! 

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A glazing of refrozen slush here looks a bit whiter on the hill behind with maybe s**w above 200m.  There was a sudden frisson of excitement in the Co-op queue as a few flakes came down.

• Like 4

Posted

Think that's it for snow today. Looking around 3cms. Away to hit the local hills with high expectations following Ravelins report. Ill grab some pictures on the way up. 

Should be around half a foot easy at 350 meters ASL.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
9 hours ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Almost certainly, it looked alright as far as intensity goes but it'll take more than a fairly heavy shower to actually land a hit in Fife from a northerly

It has happened (maybe 5 times that I can remember) but I'm struggling to think of when other than those times it's associated with a proper cold front or some sort of mini-low.

I’ll have to hunt for what date it was but my only snow even if it was basically unmeasurable a few winters ago was from a trough that actually managed to get precip into fife from a northerly LOL 99% you are correct seen it lots of times where it re intensifies after going into Edinburgh and the borders. 
had a check of the overnight runs improved from the 18z

overnight low here was 0.5C 

• Like 5

Posted

Well, I'm so glad that some are getting the white stuff

Nothing here of course, and honestly I'm trying not to expect much over the next week or so... if we get something that will be brill, but it's rather unusual around here... mind you, not as bad as Fife, so fingers crossed for Hawsey too

Tim

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

This is one of those special winter days when a cloudless sky and gin-clear air provide unlimited visibility and the feeling of unlimited potential. And then you remember it's 2020 and the gloom re-descends.

Temperature 2.4deg.C today's max and down from -2.8deg.C at 01:38, humidity is 77%, wind 2 to 7mph northwesterly, pressure is 1033.4hPa rising rapidly, there's been no rain today, which is unsurprising as there's not a cloud in sight, and the dew point is -1deg.C.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Lovely morning 0.7C and just a tad over 4cms of snow all very seasonal.

• Like 6

Posted

Stunningly cold wind at 1c off the Firth from the north this morning with ground freezing up and one or two flurries of soft hail overnight on the surface. Full winter gear on. Got an ouside water trough valve repaired this morning and buried again just before tonights frost.

Snow on the Soutars of Cromarty on the Black Isle and down to sea level at Wick.Otherwise all ground over 600feet has a thin covering anddeeper higher up. Very festive looking and seasonal.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

@ScepticalWhere is that? At a guess, if that's Bennachie in the top of the first photo, you were to the south of Tillyfourie somewhere? I've always meant to explore that area but never gotten around to it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@LomondSnowstorm it was actually a front  1st February 2019, still a rare achievement to get it producing in Fife from the north  

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

@ScepticalWhere is that? At a guess, if that's Bennachie in the top of the first photo, you were to the south of Tillyfourie somewhere? I've always meant to explore that area but never gotten around to it. 

That's Corrennie Woods Tillyfourie. There is so much terrain to explore you could spend days up there. Definitely worth checking out, the views are great, its super quiet and the hound will love it.

Forestry operations have ceased for a few days, allowing full access to the hills. Take advantage while its quiet

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just a frost here that has lingered in the shade and given some black ice on back roads and pavements. As is usual with a Northerly the showers petered out over North Angus and Highland Perthshire. Something got a fright in our back garden this morning. A seagull ? The feather is 7 inches long.  No trace of a body and no-one in the house heard anything.

edit. Daughter thinks that it might be a wood pigeon.

DD635779-4A0A-424D-94CA-74ED0D001839.jpeg

DEB6C20C-2072-4A32-B01A-31B832AC035D.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted

Elevation king round here today with our 100m just on the wrong side.

About 1cm of snow at most in the shade and a slushy affair at that...

Snag_19cb35e.thumb.png.05438e6aa2700afafde3c1bbe7ce0b43.png

As noted above, Tillyfourie and further west a lot whiter.

Reached a max of 1.3c and currently 0.7c with a slow thaw ongoing; that should stop shortly.

Moderate westerly wind making it feel positively baltic out there.

Snow flurries off and on most of the day, Bennachie hidden behind one in the photo below.

Snag_19e8445.thumb.png.49d1638d78821fc0a7b88122c954eafc.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

:reindeer-emoji:Evenin' all.

Thought I should just check in and wish you all a day of Christmas merriment tomorrow!

Just going to start preparing Christmas dinner for 4 which should take me about an hour! and then get the turkey ready for roasting. 

index.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Courtesy of my DIY weather decoding software, here we have the following:

1/ Close up of outer bands of forming #StormBella

2/ Clouds over Iceland associated with #StormBella in relation to UK, Europe and north Africa. (High resolution 9Mb pic)

3/ Clear skies just south of here. Cold night ahead for UK.

Interesting weather watching ahead.

bella.jpg

bll (2).png

uk.jpg

Edited by BurntFishTrousers
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well what a day, started with Snaw even at my elevation and its just about hung around all day, i went for a stack on the icy driveway so medication was needed. Here is said medication 

20201224_161207.jpg

20201224_172149.jpg

20201224_185950.jpg

20201224_211505.jpg

20201224_120906.jpg

• Like 9