Jump to content

Do You Enjoy Winter As Much As You Used To?


Do You Enjoy Winter As Much As You Used To?  

73 members have voted

  1. 1. Do You Enjoy Winter As Much These Days?

    • I enjoy it more these days. It rocks!
    • I enjoy it the same amount
    • I enjoy it less
    • Ahhhhhh, I hate Winter!


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

There is beauty and enjoyment to be found in every season but you’d have to look hard for it in an average winter in S England. Hopefully, this coming winter will provide some variety and interesting weather conditions, not just slate grey skies, wind and rain. I still love seeing snow falling and the initial few days of a covered landscape, but it soon gets tiresome and I just don’t like long periods of cold, especially the damp cold the UK gets. Also, by January, the long nights start getting to me. One reason I do my Christmas decorations at the end of November, cheers me up no end lol. I do love December and Christmas especially but January and February are depressing. But by February you know that Spring isn’t that far away 😊

That’s the thing. Even when people say to me in January, it won’t be long until spring, the period from New Years Day until early March seems like a long time, and even when February arrives, the days are still relatively short. I take your point though, it does feel much better once you get towards late feb, but I only really get excited about spring as we head through March, as by then the daytime temps usually start to improve, despite some cold weather still lingering. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have fond memories of December 2010. Hoar frosted trees throughout the day, everything frozen over, azure blue skys etc. A winter in that ilk is pure magic...shame it's so hard to achieve.

Afternoon, Maybe not the best time of year for this topic, but with some recent comments in the Autumn Chat, Moans and Ramps thread of some people despising the upcoming seasons, it seemed this w

Got to say as  a child of the sixties winters are not the same as then when we seemed to have snow on the ground from New Year until March with some shortlived thaw spells. Thought those days had gone

Posted Images

I've never loved Winter, but there are elements of it I get nostalgic for.

Unfortunately, times have changed since those days and with the global pandemic, I think this winter will be extraordinarily challenging.

When I think back, I think of the run-up to Christmas - gathering in the local pub with the log-fire on, everyone in Christmas jumpers with ice/fog outside and being able to see your breath in the air on a still night.

I think of having a hot-chocolate or cup of tea while playing MW2 or Black Ops 1 while the snow falls outside and everyone is online.

The rare sight of a sunset casting golden light onto frosted trees and grass. 

The "smell" of Christmas?

The sound of your shoes crunching in the snow and the muffled calmness snowfall seems to bring.

 

Now for the bad:

Not technically winter, but Bonfire night and the week surrounding it - fireworks are so lame and so annoying - plus they scare the s**t out of my dog.

The endless wind and rain - everything is damp.

The mud.

The return of the fireworks around NYE.

The Christmas rotation on the radio.

Stop the Cavalry

The fact it's always so dark and gloomy.

I always get sick just in time for Christmas - completely missed the last one with my family because I was bedridden.

Christmas dinners are genuinely quite awful.

TV is terrible. Only so many times I can watch Jurassic Park.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I've never loved Winter, but there are elements of it I get nostalgic for.

Unfortunately, times have changed since those days and with the global pandemic, I think this winter will be extraordinarily challenging.

When I think back, I think of the run-up to Christmas - gathering in the local pub with the log-fire on, everyone in Christmas jumpers with ice/fog outside and being able to see your breath in the air on a still night.

I think of having a hot-chocolate or cup of tea while playing MW2 or Black Ops 1 while the snow falls outside and everyone is online.

The rare sight of a sunset casting golden light onto frosted trees and grass. 

The "smell" of Christmas?

The sound of your shoes crunching in the snow and the muffled calmness snowfall seems to bring.

 

Now for the bad:

Not technically winter, but Bonfire night and the week surrounding it - fireworks are so lame and so annoying - plus they scare the s**t out of my dog.

The endless wind and rain - everything is damp.

The mud.

The return of the fireworks around NYE.

The Christmas rotation on the radio.

Stop the Cavalry

The fact it's always so dark and gloomy.

I always get sick just in time for Christmas - completely missed the last one with my family because I was bedridden.

Christmas dinners are genuinely quite awful.

TV is terrible. Only so many times I can watch Jurassic Park.

I agree with most of your comments, but I love Stop the Cavalry( a mate of mine pulled me up as I spelled it incorrectly and wrote Stop the Calvary lol)

I think the most repetitive Christmas song is probably Mariah Carey’s one. But yeah, I know what you mean about the Christmas rotation. It wears thin by the time you reach Christmas Day, as the songs have been played to death since late November, and even earlier if you’re out and about at the shopping malls. 
 

The TV used to decent, but since the streaming services and extended Freeview channels, the quality of tv at Christmas has diminished. It used to be better in the 80s and 90s, or maybe it was just as bad then. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't enjoy winter like I did when I was wee; snow has gotten rarer and rarer, with every passing decade... Though, were 20C in February to become the new norm, I'd take it!:oldgood:

But the phrase, 'at least it'll be mild' never ceases to annoy!:oldangry:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I agree with most of your comments, but I love Stop the Cavalry( a mate of mine pulled me up as I spelled it incorrectly and wrote Stop the Calvary lol)

I think the most repetitive Christmas song is probably Mariah Carey’s one. But yeah, I know what you mean about the Christmas rotation. It wears thin by the time you reach Christmas Day, as the songs have been played to death since late November, and even earlier if you’re out and about at the shopping malls. 
 

The TV used to decent, but since the streaming services and extended Freeview channels, the quality of tv at Christmas has diminished. It used to be better in the 80s and 90s, or maybe it was just as bad then. 
 

 

Love that song too, he hee! I also kind of feel the quality of films that was on TV during Christmas was higher, although having said that, the ones they had on during last Christmas were pretty good I felt. Christmas Carol, Home Alone and some Pixar films always seems a guarantee every Christmas. 

I definitely get the impression for a few (myself included) Winter’s would be better, or at least that bit more enjoyable, if snow was somewhat more common.

Quite interesting poll results so far. Especially regarding the amount of people who have chosen the I hate Winter option.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I don't enjoy winter like I did when I was wee; snow has gotten rarer and rarer, with every passing decade... Though, were 20C in February to become the new norm, I'd take it!:oldgood:

But the phrase, 'at least it'll be mild' never ceases to annoy!:oldangry:

I want to punch people who say,  'at least it will be mild'. Mild usually means rubbish wet and windy.

I used to enjoy winter, but only the snowy bits, and even that can be tedious after a while.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Love that song too, he hee! I also kind of feel the quality of films that was on TV during Christmas was higher, although having said that, the ones they had on during last Christmas were pretty good I felt. Christmas Carol, Home Alone and some Pixar films always seems a guarantee every Christmas. 

I definitely get the impression for a few (myself included) Winter’s would be better, or at least that bit more enjoyable, if snow was somewhat more common.

Quite interesting poll results so far. Especially regarding the amount of people who have chosen the I hate Winter option.

Some people hate winter completely, but quite a few hate winter because of the lack of snow. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Some people hate winter completely, but quite a few hate winter because of the lack of snow. 

 

Can’t disagree with that. 🙂 The lack of snow, especially in recent years, has made me become a bit more fed up with it (even though there’s some aspects I still like about Winter such as frosty mornings).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, General Cluster said:

I don't enjoy winter like I did when I was wee; snow has gotten rarer and rarer, with every passing decade... Though, were 20C in February to become the new norm, I'd take it!:oldgood:

But the phrase, 'at least it'll be mild' never ceases to annoy!:oldangry:

Very true, unfortunately. If you live anywhere near London, for example snow has become rare and when it does occur, it usually leads to a measly cm or two. This rapidly melts or goes slushy, only to re-freeze overnight and cause plenty of accidents and injuries. Vile. 20°C in February would be lovely 😊 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I agree with most of your comments, but I love Stop the Cavalry( a mate of mine pulled me up as I spelled it incorrectly and wrote Stop the Calvary lol)

I think the most repetitive Christmas song is probably Mariah Carey’s one. But yeah, I know what you mean about the Christmas rotation. It wears thin by the time you reach Christmas Day, as the songs have been played to death since late November, and even earlier if you’re out and about at the shopping malls. 
 

The TV used to decent, but since the streaming services and extended Freeview channels, the quality of tv at Christmas has diminished. It used to be better in the 80s and 90s, or maybe it was just as bad then. 
 

 

What's makes it worse is that 99% of the Christmas songs being played in shops are cheesy remake modern versions. I hardly ever hear the original versions being played anymore. These modern remakes don't at all feel Christmasy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

What's makes it worse is that 99% of the Christmas songs being played in shops are cheesy remake modern versions. I hardly ever hear the original versions being played anymore. These modern remakes don't at all feel Christmasy. 

Little Mix, Micheal Buble( covering old Christmas songs), and then crap that passes for a Christmas song, but bears no relation to the season. Perfect example of this would be the cover of Your Song by Ellie Goulding. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Mostly the youngsters who say it. Sorry to any of you born after 1990, but it does seem to be the case the younger ones can’t handle snow. 
 

But, I have bumped into people from that generation who love snow, so maybe I’m just over generalising. 

snowflakes cant handle snow? 🤔😆

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When looking for a change, the NOAA charts are the last place I look; but that's not to suggest they are useless... IMO, they really come into their own, when considering how likely it is that such-and-such an NWP knee-jerk is likely to materialise...?

And, as we approach the time-of-year when rationality loses ground to more fanciful expectations (that day-14 blizzard will be a thing of beauty?:oldgrin:) they (the NOAA charts) will need even more attention...

Och well... Roll on Spring!:oldlaugh:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont enjoy winter as much as I used to or look forward to it as much as I used to. For the very simple reason that our winters have become total dung so there is nothing enjoyable or anything to look forward to.

Most of many recent winters have just been one borefest after another.

By the end of last winter I was willing spring to arrive and I've felt that way during many recent winters. 

Even some decent frosty spells would be nice ,but even those are hard to come by nowadays. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I want to punch people who say,  'at least it will be mild'. Mild usually means rubbish wet and windy.

 

when i came back to England in 2014 for my 2.5 year stint..those words were music to my ears after the bitter cold of prairie winters 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

What's makes it worse is that 99% of the Christmas songs being played in shops are cheesy remake modern versions. I hardly ever hear the original versions being played anymore. These modern remakes don't at all feel Christmasy. 

The Christmas Radio for me, start listening 01 0ct to 31 Dec usually

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

when i came back to England in 2014 for my 2.5 year stint..those words were music to my ears after the bitter cold of prairie winters 

I understand that, but I remember hating the weather when I returned from Toronto after 18 months. Going from cold and sunny, to damp cloudy and cold was quite depressing. This was in March 2001, which was a cold spring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as much since 2013/14, apart from the 2017/18 winter, most of them since have been boring. 
 

At least post 1987, we still had February 1991, some snow in 93/94, and 95/96, then a few wintery snaps in the 2003-05 period, and the 2008-12 era. 
 

Post 2013 seems to have introduced a new type of winter. 
 

Heres hoping 2020 sees a shift back to the colder winters with mote sunshine and frosts. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I’ve voted that I enjoy it the same amount now, that’s only when it’s cold, so I suppose in a way I like it less now.  However, I always look forward to it in that there is a small but diminishing chance it might be cold!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My love for cold winters never wane. In fact they have become most consuming with age. Born in the 1950s, I experienced the once in a life time epic UK winter of 62/63 and the brutal cold February of 79. My last full winter in the UK was in 2005 so have some memories of other noticeable short cold spells. From memory, I think the 60s had a run of cold winters. Generally , however, we cannot get away from the fact that winters over the past 30  years or so are getting milder, even on the continent. I am lucky to reside at 1600m  but still scan the charts every day in the winter, hoping blighty has a spell of roof top blowing snow, if you know what I mean. 

C

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, carinthian said:

My love for cold winters never wane. In fact they have become most consuming with age. Born in the 1950s, I experienced the once in a life time epic UK winter of 62/63 and the brutal cold February of 79. My last full winter in the UK was in 2005 so have some memories of other noticeable short cold spells. From memory, I think the 60s had a run of cold winters. Generally , however, we cannot get away from the fact that winters over the past 30  years or so are getting milder, even on the continent. I am lucky to reside at 1600m  but still scan the charts every day in the winter, hoping blighty has a spell of roof top blowing snow, if you know what I mean. 

C

Have faith. I predicted a poor kind of summer for 2020(despite the two week hot period of August), and I think this coming winter will produce a very cold January.

We won’t get any real cold until Christmas Day, so a mild and damp November and first half of December will lead us all to think we are heading for a mild winter, but once we get to Christmas Day, temps will be in the low single digits, followed by cold frosty days, mixed with cloudy and sunny spells. From New Year’s Day until around the 10th, snow will fall in many areas of the UK, with temps below freezing for 3-4 days, even in London.

If this doesn’t come off, you can hunt me down! Lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Winters for me seemed to have had more settled spells, and more snow days than today, it might be i'm looking through rose tinted specs, and i'm talking late 60's upto the late 80's, i certainly had more sledging days than my grown up kids ever had.!!  Best winter in recent years for snow and cold here was Dec 2010. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/08/2020 at 19:47, carinthian said:

My love for cold winters never wane. In fact they have become most consuming with age. Born in the 1950s, I experienced the once in a life time epic UK winter of 62/63 and the brutal cold February of 79. My last full winter in the UK was in 2005 so have some memories of other noticeable short cold spells. From memory, I think the 60s had a run of cold winters. Generally , however, we cannot get away from the fact that winters over the past 30  years or so are getting milder, even on the continent. I am lucky to reside at 1600m  but still scan the charts every day in the winter, hoping blighty has a spell of roof top blowing snow, if you know what I mean. 

C

I am with you Carinthian, I was 10 years old in the winter of 1947 and have wonderful memories of the deep falls we had  near the coast in Sunderland, when we moved to Newcastle without the immediate coast close by some of the snowstorms were great with the occasional fall of up to 12 inches but as you know in recent years snow has become almost a rarity on low ground in the North East,the last memorable fall or should I say falls were December 2010 when we had 4x6 inch falls giving me a level 24 inches in my back garden.

You are quite right about the sixties even excluding 1962-3 most had a few good falls. 79 was an amazing winter in the North East a few years ago I put some details of it on the memories site.  Let us hope for something snow lovers like borh of us can enjoy although at 83 I have to be careful where I sledge!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like a covering of snow but only for a few days. The beast from the east back in 2018 was a pain the a*** especially for commuting so was glad to see the back of it!

For me i prefer those blue sky frosty mornings, especially on the lead up to to Christmas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rollo said:

I am with you Carinthian, I was 10 years old in the winter of 1947 and have wonderful memories of the deep falls we had  near the coast in Sunderland, when we moved to Newcastle without the immediate coast close by some of the snowstorms were great with the occasional fall of up to 12 inches but as you know in recent years snow has become almost a rarity on low ground in the North East,the last memorable fall or should I say falls were December 2010 when we had 4x6 inch falls giving me a level 24 inches in my back garden.

You are quite right about the sixties even excluding 1962-3 most had a few good falls. 79 was an amazing winter in the North East a few years ago I put some details of it on the memories site.  Let us hope for something snow lovers like borh of us can enjoy although at 83 I have to be careful where I sledge!

Great post Rollo. Not many on this forum remember those great winters.  Yes, those charts for 79 were great for the NE with winds and blizzards direct to your part of the world coming from Southern Scandinavia. I remember working on them at my time at Gatwick Airport and looked at them with envy with all the snow piling into the NE and the Northern Hills. 83 , not too old to enjoy the snow. I have a friend who comes out every year to ski with me and his in his 80s! Although I was born in the 50s , its nice to have folk on here with memories of February 47. Keep well and posting.

C

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...