Jump to content

Storms and Convective discussion- 15th August onwards


Recommended Posts

Can see the cell in the channel flashing from my location shame it’s not heading this way just terrible for this area for storms over the last year 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn’t know we was expecting an avalanche today 🤔

Stonking day for storms. Had two cells with continuous thunder [but mostly no visible lightning again]. Here's some pictures of one storm that I tracked as it progressed up the M11 which produced some

Am enjoying a weekend away 60 miles S of Prague in the pretty town of Písek, the storm front that came in this evening was dramatic! 

Posted Images

7 hours ago, ancientsolar said:

Anyone know why the storm over Gloucester seems to have not moved much at all,. is it back building ? 

Thought the same too. That storm, along with the one to the West of Warwick earlier today were stationary. Was wondering whether the radar had gave some false returns and that those thunderstorms were faulty. That is until I read through all the reports on here to confirm they were real! 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh. Not checked radar for a few hours, saw a few towers to the SW, thought it was still a NW direction, now it’s coming from the SW! Just heavy rain so far.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jake44 said:

will the one in the channal get stronger you think ?

Seems to be fading on its western flank and stalling, can’t see it delivering for us unfortunately. Still cannot fathom how we’ve gone through one of the hottest sets of days on record, with humidity high enough to rival a rainforest and not a single storm here!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally had a storm here in South London between 8:30 and 9:15. Followed it up to London Bridge. Incredible rain, some fork lightning right above the Shard, ankle deep water.

Makes the wait worth it. Phone camera fogged up and kept missing the lightning but you can see how much surface water at London Bridge below.

IMG_8242.jpg

Edited by elpy
  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like some of you saw some storms!  I was hopeful this afternoon as the squalls arrived at Reigate from the south.

And I could barely believe my eyes as the squall line parted around Reigate and gave us 5 minutes of rain while to the east and west it carried on as normal.

I often joke about the Reigate Local High Pressure Zone. Today I witnessed its awesome power.

Are we up for anything tomorrow south of London?  I looked at Estofex, but it looks like it forecasts a similar picture to today.

Edited by StormLoser
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Saw that channel flash from Farncombe in Surrey 🤯

I'm hearing deep rumbles in Dover from time to time. It's not here yet. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, elpy said:

Phone camera fogged up and kept missing the lightning but you can see how much surface water at London Bridge below.

IMG_8242.jpg

To be fair, that shot has a really artistic look to it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like that channel storm likes the look of Calais, constantly looking to build itself eastward.

Edited by Lance M
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bright flashing off to my SE - and a red star like object that looks suspiciously like Mars 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Looking at the rather grey Dymchurch webcam and see lightning in the channel! One good solid strike so far. https://theromneymarsh.net/beachcam 

I think I killed off all activity by tuning in. It went from lightning every 10 secs, to 30, to two mins, and then nothing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, StormLoser said:

Looks like some of you saw some storms!  I was hopeful this afternoon as the squalls arrived at Reigate from the south.

And I could barely believe my eyes as the squall line parted around Reigate and gave us 5 minutes of rain while to the east and west it carried on as normal.

I often joke about the Reigate Local High Pressure Zone. Today I witnessed its awesome power.

Are we up for anything tomorrow south of London?  I looked at Estofex, but it looks like it forecasts a similar picture to today.

wouldn't pay any attention to that forecast they slept through today and lump in Southern UK with northern Netherlands through Germany into northern Italy, Bosnia, Serbia, Poland and Ukraine , as Paul Sherman said the other day they make no effort to discern any possible differences between mainland Europe and the UK and have a 1 size fits all policy besides they had a level 2 the other day which came to absolutely nothing , take with a very substantial pinch of salt

Edited by Gordon Webb
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Seems like that channel storm likes the look of Calais, constantly looking to build itself eastward.

Worked near Calais as a campsite courier in 95. Can confirm the area is amazing for thunderstorms 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jamiee said:

Flashing away on Dover cam.

7E66CBDA-667D-4F5F-A211-49B0F97B898F.thumb.jpeg.e6e757e82a4724c0afb725d7f239f670.jpeg
64DB6CB7-0CE7-4066-BED8-D82AEC89E55F.thumb.jpeg.e71f507603069429e06a5ca8c6b882aa.jpeg

Was goner say, the rain of the storm isn't here, but the cloud has now rolled in, and the lightning is in it, thunder slightly louder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elpy said:

Finally had a storm here in South London between 8:30 and 9:15. Followed it up to London Bridge. Incredible rain, some fork lightning right above the Shard, ankle deep water.

Makes the wait worth it. Phone camera fogged up and kept missing the lightning but you can see how much surface water at London Bridge below.

IMG_8242.jpg

Not sure what it is, but that road was terrible in 2018 (May Storms) and the drains can never take the water.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...