Jump to content

Storms and Convective discussion- 7th August onwards


Recommended Posts

Hi there from Southwest thread, 

im in Frome / Somerset and hoping some cg comes from this developing line of storms that stemmed from Basingstoke Reading direction . 

 

Sat here cameras at the ready . No wind, muggy looking ripe for a storm . 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A beautiful altocumulus castellanus sunrise this morning. 

Oo she's a beauty 

My first attempt at storm shots 🤷‍♂️ (Please don't judge 🤣) The cells are impressive tonight! 

Posted Images

Something's building closer to home. Had some lightning I think to the south or south east, couldn't tell, and some thunder just after, was about 5 to 6 miles away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WeatherWatchmanG said:

whats triggering these storms over west london fifth storm in three days now or is it two days I dont know anymore.

West London been a prime storm spot since I was a kid, time and time again they get the best storms.  Thinking of moving there lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colin_P said:

Your wording was fine.

I could have taken some footage but being new to the site don't know to post it.

Hey Colin.  You can upload multiple images inside your post here without using a third party.

Videos, on the other hand, will need to go to somewhere else first such YouTube, vimeo etc.  Unless you can somehow get a video under 10MB

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Something's building closer to home. Had some lightning I think to the south or south east, couldn't tell, and some thunder just after, was about 5 to 6 miles away.

Thats the one im looking at

Screenshot_2020-08-13 Radar V8 Beta(1).jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Does tomorrow night look any good Ben? The current MetO graphics show a similar set-up to right now, but they're usually a few hours behind the latest UKV run.

AROME 18z carries storms on well into the night for N London, seems like a similar scenario to what happened at Cambridge today. UKV very underwhelming for tomorrow although very late tomorrow night/Sat morning has some thundery activity for London area.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

AROME 18z carries on well into the night for N London, seems like a similar scenario to what happened at Cambridge today. UKV very underwhelming for tomorrow although very late tomorrow night/Sat morning has some thundery activity for London area.

Thanks dude. Sounds good enough to me. Happy to chase within 50 miles tomorrow night what with no work the following day! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well guys, thought I’d have a cheeky little trip down the M11, just at stansted and it’s epic! Bright blue lightning, and the roads are getting pretty bad. Mad how foggy and murky it is at the same time however, didn’t start seeing the lightning until it was right on top of me all of a sudden! Quite creepy and eerie

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the edge of the cell south of Basingstoke silhoutted against the sky. I'm surprised by how fast the clouds are moving tonight. Noticeable drop in temperature recently and a light breeze has sprung up a bit. Lightning appears to have decreased in frequency too.

 

Edited by Paul R
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul R said:

I can see the edge of the cell south of Basingstoke silhoutted against the sky. I'm surprised by how fast the clouds are moving tonight. Noticeable drop in temperature recently and a light breeze has sprung up a bit.

 

Did you see any lightning ? difficult against the fog i guess as the storm had to be over us to see the lightning

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

OMG.....WOW!!!!! Just drove through the most insane rainfall and lightning I have ever seen.....NASTY!!!! Currently near Marlow and Henley in Berks/Bucks.....many roads starting to flood in Henley and A404 was mad!!!! Got much iPhone footage of strikes (hopefully) within phone slot and a lot of swearing.....MANIC!!! No way was the strike rate 10ish per min as it was saying, it was every second or two!!!!

I made it one every two seconds.

Are you home now? It mental out there - our gutters have had it, the A40 is flooded and it's just not stopping.

Lightning only every few minutes now.

There's going to be some damage in the morning.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thunderhead 2005 said:

Did you see any lightning ? difficult against the fog i guess as the storm had to be over us to see the lightning

Yes, I saw two flashes and heard rumbles from it, but it seems to have gone quiet. Not seeing much up towards Reading now as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

I made it one every two seconds.

Are you home now? It mental out there - our gutters have had it, the A40 is flooded and it's just not stopping.

Lightning only every few minutes now.

There's going to be some damage in the morning.

Just down the hill from you.

This is the storm that just keeps on giving, lightning is far less frequent than round 1 though.

Round 2 here but I'd say rather than overhead it is probably 1/2 way between Maidenhead and Wycombe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Activity winding down it seems, time for sleep! Here's to another day of fun tomorrow and fingers crossed for some surprises for some!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Colin_P said:

Just down the hill from you.

This is the storm that just keeps on giving, lightning is far less frequent than round 1 though.

Round 2 here but I'd say rather than overhead it is probably 1/2 way between Maidenhead and Wycombe.

Yes indeed, Bourne end seems to be having some flooding issues right now, the pub is apparently bailing water out the front door.

Here, the rain is just still falling but moderately.

I think my allotment is going to be forked.

Strikes few and far between now so off to try and sleep again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...